IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a lot of talk about the pinging problem. I have yet to experience it. I run 91 California gas. Basically the worst fuel known to man. It is possible I am not getting on the gas enough to cause significant enough compression/heat senario?

My STI only has 1000K so I am still Kinda break’n in. I do take it up to 6-6.5K occasionally (my theory of break in is a little different than factory). Last weekend I took car up to Tahoe. Lots of steep hills. Even at low RPMS with full throttle, no pinging.

What situations do people get pinging? I would think that high torque situations would do it. Did they change anything on cars in past month?

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I'd say it was only a few real cases. The majority were people misinterpreting their loud boxer engine noises.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
sacsti said:
I have heard a lot of talk about the pinging problem. I have yet to experience it. I run 91 California gas. Basically the worst fuel known to man. It is possible I am not getting on the gas enough to cause significant enough compression/heat senario?

My STI only has 1000K so I am still Kinda break’n in. I do take it up to 6-6.5K occasionally (my theory of break in is a little different than factory). Last weekend I took car up to Tahoe. Lots of steep hills. Even at low RPMS with full throttle, no pinging.

What situations do people get pinging? I would think that high torque situations would do it. Did they change anything on cars in past month?
Floor it in hot weather between 3000 and 5000 RPMs. You will really know if you hear it. It sounds like a pellet going ape-shhh inside a coffee can.

-st

·
Registered
422 Posts
The pinging is real, but...

I bought my car on the cusp of May / June and when I read that the might be a pinging problem I set my self up for a worst case test. High 80? deg F and accelerating Up a steep freeway on ramp. (Safe, if not legal?) The tell tail rattle can noise. Took it to the dealer for the 3,000 mi oil change and they couldn't reproduce it. This was before Subaru had the fix in place. During the summer I took many a long weekend and didn't want to be without my new car and I postponed the reflash. (I did some things to deliberately avoid the ping...) Last week on the same on ramp I tried the test again. Nothing? The only difference was that it was only 60 deg F out.

I've also been sitting next to another guy when an STI accelerated out of a slow speed corner and we BOTH heard the unmistakable sound of detonation.

One more thing to add to this conundrum. I had the battery disconnected for half a day when it was nearly 100 deg F installing a power lead for the removable subwoffer. Was my fix forcing the car to learn when it was REALLY hot, or is the cooler weather killing the det?

I guess I will have to wait until summer to see if it comes back.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Web_Foot_STi said:
The pinging is real, but...

I bought my car on the cusp of May / June and when I read that the might be a pinging problem I set my self up for a worst case test. High 80? deg F and accelerating Up a steep freeway on ramp. (Safe, if not legal?) The tell tail rattle can noise. Took it to the dealer for the 3,000 mi oil change and they couldn't reproduce it. This was before Subaru had the fix in place. During the summer I took many a long weekend and didn't want to be without my new car and I postponed the reflash. (I did some things to deliberately avoid the ping...) Last week on the same on ramp I tried the test again. Nothing? The only difference was that it was only 60 deg F out.

I've also been sitting next to another guy when an STI accelerated out of a slow speed corner and we BOTH heard the unmistakable sound of detonation.

One more thing to add to this conundrum. I had the battery disconnected for half a day when it was nearly 100 deg F installing a power lead for the removable subwoffer. Was my fix forcing the car to learn when it was REALLY hot, or is the cooler weather killing the det?

I guess I will have to wait until summer to see if it comes back.
What octane and what build date if you don't mind sir? : )

-st

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sir? I'm not an officer! Never been in the military. I did turn 40 last January and cringe at the reference. My title at work is Test Engineer.

I live at 130' and we get 92 Mon/Ron out here. I have no idea about the build date, but supposedly I got the first car sold in Oregon. I bought on the first weekend that the STi was available. "I want the white one."

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Web_Foot_STi said:
Sir? I'm not an officer! Never been in the military. I did turn 40 last January and cringe at the reference. My title at work is Test Engineer.

I live at 130' and we get 92 Mon/Ron out here. I have no idea about the build date, but supposedly I got the first car sold in Oregon. I bought on the first weekend that the STi was available. "I want the white one."
My apologies MAN. Check the build date DUDE, when you have a chance BRO : ) Inside the driver side door well.

-st

·
Registered
422 Posts
MFD 03/03. It was a nice day in the mid seventies and I got on the freeway with the hill at just under 4,000 rpm in third and then floored it. All quiet on the Western front. Back in July when the reflash wasn't available that type of driving did it every time, but I only did it a few times to convince myself that it was real.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
bitabur said:
8/03 should be after reflash shouldn't it?
I would certainly think so. But that is assuming that the new code is shipped on new cars. This isn't actually known to be a fact. The reflash might only be needed on certain cars, regardless of build date, i.e. it could be related to something other than just software. I wish Subaru would issue a detailed TSB : (

-st

·
Registered
82 Posts
MFD = 4/03: Ping since in CA (bought in ID, now in CA w/ 91 oct) :eek: After ~ 5,500mi adaptive s-ware kicked in & ping was suppressed (no reflash), but it cost me ~ 10% mid/top-end:x I'm considering OEM ECU reset, then running racing-fuel mix to regain hp w/out voiding factry war. Any thoughts?
BTW - my ping experience differed from other posts. It was most prevalent at part-throttle (not full-load/throttle), and essentially only between 3500-4500rpm (not ~6k). My experience was (allegedly) consistent with a verbal "we're aware" from STi, via my service mgr. My 70's muscle-car ear says "moderate" ping - definitely troubling! To avoid it I was best served by not fart'n around... Tromp it to the floor and it was greatly reduced... Quite counter-intuitive... yet quite dicy on several levels! :-? In a sick way I miss those days, but in the end I just miss the power!! :cry:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thx for the reply. In the interest of brevity I was unclear - my bad. ~10% loss in engine hp, as measured by "butt-dyno". Do you have hard data indicating this perception is false, or have others also experienced similar behavior (or not)?
Every day's commute is a new qualifying lap on a canyon "track" I know well, and my STi definitely hits softer now than when it pinged - you can feel it! And it's not due to air temp - It's off in both hot and cool air.
I just wish I could find out how best to reset the ECU and if doing so will return it to 'as delivered' condition. I should then have another ~5k mi (before the ECU again adapts) to find the right fuel mix to maintain stock performance - that's my idea anyway. Any ideas on this? I'm leary of aftermkt chips, and would be satisfied with OEM perf - especially since I have an extended warranty. Whadayathink?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I hope I didn't miss this (apologies if I did), but did your car ever have the ECU reflash or was it supposed to be a later build date that didn't require it? You might see if resetting the ECU and then taking it in for a reflash would have any effect on the power output you are getting.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I can't comment specifically on the STi ECU chip, but if it's anything like a bios chip on a computer (I've heard the term "flash the ecu" and I'm assuming it's a flash rom), once it's been flashed, there is no way to get back old settings.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Again, my bad - I wasn't very clear initially. My build date is 4/03. Not sure where this puts me relative to a "reflash" requirement. BTW - what exactly does "reflash" mean in these discussions? Is it a reset or a new fuel map? My service guy never mentioned "reflash" specifically (heck, maybe I need a new service guy!). Also, you mention "resetting the ECU". How is this done? Is it as simple as unplugging the battery for some period of time? Also, do you know if the ECU will backward adapt if I start running higer-octane gas (e.g. racing gas w/ 101-oct)? For that matter, could we be so lucky as to have the ECU "open up" to take advantage of pure 101, yielding "super-human" perf?! I can dream at least! Lastly, do you know of others reporting similar performance degradation and/or pinging situation? Thx again for your replies.

·
Registered
82 Posts
bitabur - My service guy claims the ECU has adaptive capability, and thus it can "learn". In fact mine did this, which is why the ping stopped. This would seem to suggest that the ECU can be changed after it's initially set. Whether or not this holds for a "reflash" I'm not sure, especially since I'm not sure what's involved with the reflash process. In general, I think most modern ECU chips can be altered multiple times - I know this to be the case for Navistar diesels (e.g. F-250 trucks) at least.

Good discussion.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts