IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When World One swapped in my STI motor, they noticed my APS header was cracked. Since I didn't have time to swap it prior to my tune by Phil Grabow, I had them weld it for the mean time.

After the weld and tune, I noticed my header was cracked again (noise). I wasn't able to swap it out very quickly, as World One was moving to their new location.

Finally, they are fully moved in, I got a chance to see the header crack. One word...wow. One of the pipes actually completely disconnected from the rest of the header.

I'm sure this is one of the first batch headers that saw these problems, so I have no reserve putting on the replacement by APS.

Special thanks to Vince and Garret at World One for pushing to get my car in ASAP. I'm honored to be the first car they worked on in their new shop (btw, it's frickin huge!!!). They don't even have their air compressor hooked up yet, but they just got their lifts working. Vince came in on his day off to do the job with all hand tools. Maybe because I told him it's my b-day (it is, no lying).

Another amazing experience by the crew at World One.

Here are the pics (low quality camera phone)

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
wow man, im sorry to see that

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Wow, the weld cracked on it. Must not have been a good weld. I have heard too many people have cracking issues on too many aftermarket headers to make me want to pony up a grand for new ones.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Just a FYI for those who are dealing with cracked APS headers: avoid having them re-welded at all costs.

Although APS and participating vendors have been extremely helpful with warranty returns, if a third party does a repair to it, it should give APS or the vendor the rights to void any warranty replacement altogether.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I see your point. It's just that warranty issues are not very speedy or time efficient. I hate to hear horror stories by good people from good companies. It's just not motivating when you spend 1k of your hard earned money to have a part installed and have it fall apart. I hope that APS is a good sport about handling your warranty issue. We all know that they make more than enough money on there great but, slightly overpriced products. Maybe you can get your install cost recouped. I doubt that though. Good luck!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
APS still covered it, even though it was welded. I really didn't have a choice but to get it welded as I had a tune.

The headers were not wrapped or coated.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as the new ones don't crack, I'm extremely happy with the header. Good power, and I love the sound. APS swapped it with 0 questions.

·
Registered
267 Posts
1k dollar header cracked FTW!! This just goes to show that no matter how good a company or what kind of steel they use it will happen to people, that is why I choose not to spend a grand on headers.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
+1 for world one, best damn customer service ever. with fast shipment.

so is APS going to replace your header?

·
Registered
268 Posts
That's good to hear that they replaced it. Customer service goes a long way in keeping loyal customers.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
OH NO! I have these heaters. Jet Coated though. So far I have had no issues, and I hope to have none. I love APS and dont want their parts going bad on my car! They are a reputable company! And I know they stand by their products. I am glad they replaced it.

I am suprised Peter hasn't chimmed in yet.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
damn sorry to hear that this happened .. but hey on a good note u didnt have any probs getting it replaced also how much did u put down on the dyno if u dont mind me asking?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
blk04sti said:
nothing like $1k headers busting!!!!
someone told me long ago, "The chrome wont get you home...." We'll see how more of these "bling" headers follow this....

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LightWerkz said:
You didnt hear anything unusual with a crack like that? :rofl:

Of course I did..smart @$$.

The last week leading up to the swap, it sounded like a lawnmower on roids. It was so bad I couldn't even get past 4lbs of boost in 4th gear on the highway, and I have a td04 on a 2.5l!!! The original had a hairline crack that wasn't noticed until my engine swap,so it may have not gone all the way through then. We welded it, and moved on to the tune.

We ordered and received a replacement for the header before the crack re-opened, but it cracked the way it did just about a week prior to when I got it swapped. Drove me crazy!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts