IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was a little concerned about picking it up on Halloween! :evil:

Anyway, other than a loose gas cap ruining my ride home, all is well in the STi world at my house. Best decision i made. Only had it a few days and can say it's the most fun i've had on 4 wheels in years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,482 Posts
Especially on that 2nd - 3rd shift... in second anything about 3 grand just seems to pull so much more than other gears. That's with me driving it with not much throttle (never been WOT so not sure how far from it I am describing) and not going above 4k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Yeah, 2nd seems to pull the hardest for me, but I'm also still breaking it in (just 200 miles left... woohoo) so I'll have to report back in a week or so. The first two people I gave rides two commented on their own that 2nd gear pulled really hard... until I shifted to third. Then they couldn't make up their mind so we did it a few more times :)

And on the subject of shifting gears, I can't believe how smooth this 6-speed is! It could be that I used to drive a truck, but the gear changes are just so effortless, solid, and satisfying. Blows my mind every day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,482 Posts
I'm still getting used to it... it is smooth and solid, but sometimes I feel like I have it nailed and other times I suddenly have to search for the gear I want. :x I have been driving automatics for the past few years, so that's part of it.

I also am still trying to get used to when I need to shift down for a corner, when I don't. Working with basically 2k - 4k while breaking it in complicates things a little.

I do know after a little drive up the hill on a particular windy twisty road where someone I know of had their WRX wrecked by someone else they let drive it, that this car will be some serious fun. And even without mashing the pedal or going over 4k, I can tell it has some serious power. This car could be dangerous.

One thing I have not had to do is test out the brakes. They don't feel stupendous, but I also have not been hard on them as they should probably be broken in as well.
 

·
Chuck taught me everything I know
Joined
·
504 Posts
toyworx said:
Was a little concerned about picking it up on Halloween! :evil:

Anyway, other than a loose gas cap ruining my ride home, all is well in the STi world at my house. Best decision i made. Only had it a few days and can say it's the most fun i've had on 4 wheels in years.
Got my silver/silver the same day. Maybe they are twins. Same concern.
Anyway enjoy and good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
SNIP

One thing I have not had to do is test out the brakes. They don't feel stupendous, but I also have not been hard on them as they should probably be broken in as well.
I felt the same way about the brakes....at first. When you look for them, they'll be there. I did an auto-x class just after my car passed the 1000 mile mark (still shifting at 4600rpms, though). Waiting until the last second to slow down only showed me that I was braking too early. The brakes worked so well that I realized I had at least another second of staying on the gas before I should have braked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Hello All:

I've been driving standards since 1975. Even now only 1 out of 4 of our family's vehicles is automatic. I like shifting!

Now: Is it just me or do any of you others have any trouble with the interplay of gas and clutch when reversing (especially uphill into a garage)?

I find myself stalling about 40% of the time unless I use what I consider too much clutch slippage.

Just curious.

Cheers, Phun

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,879 Posts
Re: Check out some of the logo ideas that have been submitte

In my wrangler i find reverse to be no problem at all, even uphill. Just slip it but keep the RPM's fairly low and you won't wear the clutch.
 

·
So Gangster It Hurts
Joined
·
3,521 Posts
mx_9 said:
RadarOnPaws said:
SNIP

One thing I have not had to do is test out the brakes. They don't feel stupendous, but I also have not been hard on them as they should probably be broken in as well.
I felt the same way about the brakes....at first. When you look for them, they'll be there. I did an auto-x class just after my car passed the 1000 mile mark (still shifting at 4600rpms, though). Waiting until the last second to slow down only showed me that I was braking too early. The brakes worked so well that I realized I had at least another second of staying on the gas before I should have braked.
Was performing some "spirited acceleration" entering the freeway the other night with my girlfriend in the car. Another ramp merged with ours, and another car cut us off, prematurely. Had to stand on the brakes a bit, and let me tell you. . . . THEY WORK. And they work WELL. ;)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top