IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why are tranny loss spoken off as a percent?

I got my Blue/Gold Saturday from Gary Lang in Mchenry, IL. Put 125 miles on it Saturday and then didn't get to drive it today cause i was testing my RX-7 at the strip all day. I got my baby down to 11.5 in the 1/4 today on street tires. My homies and i were so stoked. Anyways I was very impressed with the STI. It is as solid as a rock. The fit and finish on this car is impressive. Being as i have flogged an Evo 8 i am gonna draw a few quick vs. points. I can't compare them at insane speed though cause i gotta finish the break in on the STI and then i'll get some track time under my belt with it. Anyways. The evo's seats blow the sti's seats outta the water. I love the way the STI's seats look but they suck when it comes to fitting the body and holding you in corners around town. I can only imagine how under par they'll be at the track. Very dissapointed that this car doesn't have better seats. The STI smokes the evo in the engine dept though...and that is a VERY BIG DEAL. The STI's power is amazing. It is much more responsive at low RPMs and the just feels available at all times. The STI's gearbox is heavenly. It's throws are so short and the gates are perfectly close together. I occasionaly found 4th when going for 6th though. The clutch is perfect. The brakes are quite good but my Type R's were better(probably beacuse the Type R weighed over 600lbs less than the STI though). This car in person is so gorgeous though. It blows the evo away i think. Its lines and overall stance are fantastic(except for the hood scoop). I said in a previous post that the STI didn't get me hard like some other cars.......I WAS VERY WRONG. I like the wing but i still hate the hood scoop. I have shown the car to alot of my friends and the general impression is "that car is dope, but i don't like the scoop much.". The rear wing vibration bothers me a bit. I have had all sorts of "Rainbow" wings(stock and aftermarket) on my cars and none of them wiggled like the STI's Wing. :lol: Look at this preceeding emoticon's upper lip.....thats exactly how bad the STI's wing was vibrating on the I-90 toll road. The wing's design looks good but the wing itself just appears and feels cheap to me. The evo's cf wing is better i think, except for the bubbling issue though. The interior and especially the gauge cluster are fantastic. The evo's interior and gauge cluster are so lame in comparison. I never liked the STI's rims that much until i got the car. They are really nice, especially in gold. I think the evo has better seats, wing, stock brakes, sound system(j/k lol) and thats about it. The STI looks better, feels much sturdier, has better engine characteristics, a much sweeter gearbox, rims, interior, gauge cluster and just seemed like a much better car to me than the evo. Now i haven't flogged an STI on the track yet and that is supposedly where the evo outshines the STI according to most magazines. I can't wait to get past 1,000 miles to see what this mean machine can do. I was very impressed with the evo at the track so the STI does have its work cut out for it. Final thoughts are that the shift light/buzzer in the STI is awesome and the amount of brake dust on the STI is ridiculous. I've had much more agressive pads that dusted much less. Anyways that my all over the place not very organized with lots of spelling errors impression of the STI(hey i'm not a professional writer for crying out loud). Peace!!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Quickest way to launch

X-Japan said:
I occasionaly found 4th when going for 6th though.
yup. done that. you'd gotta deliberately to push slightly to the right as you pull back. makes me wish or wonder why no one has ever rotated the gate mechanism slightly clockwise; maybe about 10 degrees. think of the ergonomics; shifts would be so much easier/precise if they moved in a slightly diagonal direction. <shrug>

X-Japan said:
Final thoughts are that the shift light/buzzer in the STI is awesome...
buzzer!? for the shift light? i missed that in the manual. awesome!

X-Japan said:
Anyways that my all over the place not very organized with lots of spelling errors impression of the STI.
great review. thanks. i concur with you on most points (i like the insanity of the hood scoop and i haven't tried the evo seats yet--missed my chance this weekend, drat--so i'll have to take your word for it). and btw...CONGRATS!! woohoo...party over here...

·
Registered
9 Posts
congrats x-japan. i had a few Q's.
did you get the car at msrp at Gary lang ?
if so, how was their service and which sales person did you talk to?
im going to be ordering the car from them around september or october in hopes of getting the car around feb or march next year.
thanx a bunch for the help man. :wink:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
qbsti said:
congrats x-japan. i had a few Q's.
did you get the car at msrp at Gary lang ?
if so, how was their service and which sales person did you talk to?
im going to be ordering the car from them around september or october in hopes of getting the car around feb or march next year.
thanx a bunch for the help man. :wink:
Yeah i got it at MSRP there. I worked with Joe Dicks(salesperson) and Joe Matus(sales manager). It was fantastic. I put a deposit down and got the car exactly 7 days later. Pure luck but i'll take it. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thnx for the reply x-japan.

i am going there next week to put a $2000 deposit.
they said that is required to order my car.
thinking about white/gold or silver/silver.
they said it might be a few months to get the car in and i also need to sell my car so i guess it'll work out pretty well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
qbsti said:
thnx for the reply x-japan.

i am going there next week to put a $2000 deposit.
they said that is required to order my car.
thinking about white/gold or silver/silver.
they said it might be a few months to get the car in and i also need to sell my car so i guess it'll work out pretty well.
Wow they wanted that much? Only wanted 1k from me. Oh well. Peace!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well here is my 6 week update,

So far i am a horrible STI owner who basically doesn't deserve the car. I have only managed to put 713 miles on the car in a month and a half. Thats absolutely disgraceful but beyond my control(too busy right now). I also have yet to take the car in to get my steering wheel and alignment fixed. Also i have a bad wheel hub/bearing that has to be replaced but i haven't done that either. My intercooler sprayer hasn't worked since the day i got it(yet another thing i need to get fixed). The car is S**T dirty. I haven't washed it since i got it. It has dirt, 15 layers of brake dust, bird poop, a spilled Mcflurry on the shift boot and lots o' bug guts(some been on there since first day i got it). bug guts + 6 weeks = permanant stains more than likely. I haven't done any of things to it i had planned. I don't even know if its a detonator or not yet. I haven't even dropped it off to get my killer stereo put in it yet. Does all this upset me. Your damn tootin' it does. Do i have the time to worry about it right now. Nope. I basically think i just shoulda waited til next spring to get one. I have too little time and too many cars to give this wonderful piece of machinery the love and attention it deserves right now. This next week i vow to break 1k miles, get everything fixed, and find a detailer to clean her up.....Course if that all happens then hell will be very cold for sure. Peace!!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
That sux. Yeah I can almost guarantee the poop and guts will leave a mark. Unless if the dealer happened to wax it for the PDI, which I doubt. I have even seen poop remove the paint. :eek: If anything I would at least wash it this weekend.

·
Registered
118 Posts
haha, yo x-japan, you think itll be possible to get an sti for like 28 -29k out the door next summer?

im saving up for a decent downpayment on an Sti...

I AM SO FUCKING JEALOUS sigh...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts