IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
WRC all day!

Be very careful using LED bulbs in place of filament bulbs. With the lack of resistance/inductance there, you are effectively raising the current through that wiring. To be safe, you should measure the inductance of the stock bulb and add a resistor of that amount to the line.

If you've ever seen someone put in LED turn signal bulbs and all of a sudden they have hyper blinkers.....same reason.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
STi valve stem caps

Bulb #168 (12V-5w)

Clone: So basically I run the risk of blowing a fuse if I leave it as is for now? Or will it do more damage? The guy who sold it to me told me it was completely safe for the STi....I guess he just wanted to make a quick buck :(

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ya I'd like to know this as well, that looks awsome!

Robert~

·
Registered
452 Posts
That looks awesome. I wonder whethere there are low-beam replacement bulbs made out of LED's, too...? ;-) (Like the NSX concept 2003)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
This is just a caution item....these might be a different kind of bulb than cheapies I've seen. But have you heard the V=IR equation? The V in our case is fixed, but by changing the bulb, you have changed the R of the system, really inductance in our case with the light bulb though. LEDs don't have the inductance/resistance of the filament bulb, therefore will be a higher current flowing though the wiring. The trick here....you probably won't blow a fuse because of this. With the way the wiring is done, the fuse probably won't see the area of the circuit with the high current.

Here a another few links I found that might help. Just don't want this to turn into a fried wiring harness for ya. I've heard of people putting in LED turn signals and the like and they ended up needing major wiring harness replacements...$$$$$

http://members.cox.net/brutal/Resistor/main.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=362548&highlight=LED+resistance

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
do you think you could test the resistanceof both then ambros? Thanks again for the awsome pics, they look great! I cant wait to maybe try this out soon.

Robert~

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
System Install DONE!

Sure thing static, I'll post the results as soon as I figure em out.

(however it may take a while, electronics isnt exactly my forte and I'm beginning to think I got carried away with this whole LED thing :D )

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
its np man, just keep us updated please!

Also if someone can give me a way (tools, which wire, etc) I will do it myself as well (As I'd really like this mod). So if anyone else could show me/tell me what to do to test the resistance or whatnot, please lmk. Thanks

Robert~

·
Registered
240 Posts
i have some cheaper amber led bulbs, they are clear when off, they have a tiny circuit board and resistor built right in to the bulb

·
Registered
378 Posts
rallybred said:
i have some cheaper amber led bulbs, they are clear when off, they have a tiny circuit board and resistor built right in to the bulb
Where did you get those? Do they come in the turn signal bulb size, 7440?

·
Registered
240 Posts
they sure do, i have actually seen 2 types. one i bought at autozone - has 4 little leds in the bulb. another i saw later had one large led (at wal mart).
both types appear clear (for us easy bakers) until illuminated, and both had tiny boards with resistors. around $5 - $10 dollars.
(sorry if i took a while to answer, the holidays and all)
i should get my titan signal bulbs on monday

·
Registered
240 Posts
update: incorrect info in lsat post.

ok, decided to find the package - someone asked if these were 7440. they are not. 7440s are the turn signals, and yes i have seen leds, but they are too big to fit through the reflector hole (and are very ugly). i have decided to go with titans (covered in previous thread) . i was under the impression that we were talking about the parking light leds as shown in the first posts/pictures. they are 194 - and mine are made by jamstrait (www.jamstrait.com) like i said before i bought them at autozone.

·
Registered
240 Posts
p.s. says 10 year warranty, which is great because the parking bulbs are the only ones that you have to pull the headlight assembly out to replace.

good luck

·
Registered
542 Posts
Very clean! I like the color.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts