IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Nice HID!! How much is the kit???

amdmaxx said:
How they different form stock? Brighter?
What did u pay for them (if not a secret)...
I live in Canada so we don't get HID's. I got Philips Ultinon D2S 6000K bulbs & Philips LVQ-212 Electronic Control Units (ballasts). I love them, I was beside a TSX with HID's and his lights looked yellow compared to mine. I paid about 850 CDN after all was done. Install is very clean. I also took pictures of the install set by set. I have about 70 Pictures. The kit was very easy to install, it was all plug & play except for output wire which wired in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
RLsChMiDt said:
Did you buy new ballasts? I want to stick with the stock ballasts, but still get brighter... is that possible?
Putting in those 6000k bulbs will only make your lights more purple, but not brighter. The stock 4100k bulbs are the brightest and whitest already. The Kevin rating has nothing to do with brightness, it's all about color. And the higher you go, the dimmer you get. So you'll need to stay with the stock HID bulbs if you want the brightest light.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ssitu said:
RLsChMiDt said:
Did you buy new ballasts? I want to stick with the stock ballasts, but still get brighter... is that possible?
Putting in those 6000k bulbs will only make your lights more purple, but not brighter. The stock 4100k bulbs are the brightest and whitest already. The Kevin rating has nothing to do with brightness, it's all about color. And the higher you go, the dimmer you get. So you'll need to stay with the stock HID bulbs if you want the brightest light.
Keep in mind that Philips Ultinon D2S 6000K bulbs & Philips LVQ-212 Electronic Control Units (ballasts) is one of the best system on the market, no tinted blubs or anything like that. I honestly could not tell you because I have the Canadian Edition STi which only comes with H1 bulbs and no hid's. Just click the link below and it should explain everything for you, their are diagrams and charts.

Click below:
http://www.xenondepot.com/tech.html

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ssitu said:
RLsChMiDt said:
Keep in mind that Philips Ultinon D2S 6000K bulbs & Philips LVQ-212 Electronic Control Units (ballasts) is one of the best system on the market, no tinted blubs or anything like that. I honestly could not tell you because I have the Canadian Edition STi which only comes with H1 bulbs and no hid's. Just click the link below and it should explain everything for you, their are diagrams and charts.

Click below:

·
Registered
68 Posts
RLsChMiDt said:
Which bulb do we use? D2R or D2S??
The manual says D2R. So you could make it brighter by putting in a 4100k D2S bulb, but it will also produce more glare that might annoy oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
524 Posts
ssitu said:
RLsChMiDt said:
That's correct. 6000K bulbs are about 20% less bright than 4100K bulbs. So yeah stick with 4100K if you're looking for brightness.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
matadorCE said:
ssitu said:
RLsChMiDt said:
That's correct. 6000K bulbs are about 20% less bright than 4100K bulbs. So yeah stick with 4100K if you're looking for brightness.
Go to that link it will explain everything for you.
Click below:

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ssitu said:
RLsChMiDt said:
yup that is correct. They did a study on that on supraforums.com, as we were all getting into those 10k kelvin kits and such. They showed how 4100-4300 kelvin was the best and the higher you went the different the color and more glare, although not brighter. As for us STi owners, we can just buy the bulbs from dan, rather then a full HID unit if we ever wanted to upgrade. Nice pics!

Robert~

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love the look!

staticx313 said:
ssitu said:
RLsChMiDt said:
yup that is correct. They did a study on that on supraforums.com, as we were all getting into those 10k kelvin kits and such. They showed how 4100-4300 kelvin was the best and the higher you went the different the color and more glare, although not brighter. As for us STi owners, we can just buy the bulbs from dan, rather then a full HID unit if we ever wanted to upgrade. Nice pics!

Robert~
Thans.

I honestly think they work great and are really bright. But keep in mind I went from H1 bulbs not HID's. Thanks for the positive feedback!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts