IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So asking for a friend....

Perrin 20mm spacers (x4) were installed on his 2020 STI by a local shop. Despite the specs being written on the spacers (88 ft-lbs), the shop torqued both the spacers and wheels to 110 ft-lbs. STI wheel torque specs seem to call for about 90 ft-lbs. So is he just being anal about this, and its fine leaving everything at 110 ft-lbs, or should everything be absolutely dialed back to 88 & 90?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Technically speaking, damage to the wheel studs has already been done. The question is, to what degree. Personally, I would undo everything, re-install and torque them down again to the correct spec. And FYI, the wheel torque spec is 120 N*m or 88.5 lb-ft, not 90 lb-ft.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
16 Posts
How did you know the torque spec the shop put it to?

Undo them and re-torque them because if it over tightened then there is a higher chance to snap while in use/load.

·
Registered
20 Posts
110 is pretty high. I'd also vote to re-torque to proper spec. I'd also re-check the torque on the spacers after a bit of driving.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
16 Posts
With any new wheels/nuts/spacers. Torque to spec and drive for about 100 miles and re-torque to spec again.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Technically speaking, damage to the wheel studs has already been done. The question is, to what degree. Personally, I would undo everything, re-install and torque them down again to the correct spec. And FYI, the wheel torque spec is 120 N*m or 88.5 lb-ft, not 90 lb-ft.
Not to knit pick, but damage hasn't been "done," per say. If you have torqued the bolts beyond the elastic limit then yeah they're trash but you would see them deformed. This will not be the case at that torque spec. Maybe at 250ft*lb? idk
Definitely disassemble it all and put it back at the suggested specs. This is recommended anyways after 50 miles. Historically, I have always installed spacers on trucks of mine or others and I always would just "rotate" all of the equipment at about 50 miles.
Your friends parts are just fine :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not to knit pick, but damage hasn't been "done," per say. If you have torqued the bolts beyond the elastic limit then yeah they're trash but you would see them deformed. This will not be the case at that torque spec. Maybe at 250ft*lb? idk
Definitely disassemble it all and put it back at the suggested specs. This is recommended anyways after 50 miles. Historically, I have always installed spacers on trucks of mine or others and I always would just "rotate" all of the equipment at about 50 miles.
Your friends parts are just fine :)
Interesting. We have a difference in understanding then.

1) There has been more than a few reports of wheel studs breaking off thus lots of people replacing them with ARP studs. Yes, there are many variables that we have to consider as the cause, but one of them is over-tightening them. To what degree, I don't think anyone can tell for sure.

2) I don't use spacers as I believe they contributes to premature wears and failures on multiple parts. As for wheels, my understanding is that it is essential to re-tighten all nuts/bolts on new wheels after ~50 miles, but just re-torque them and not remove and reinstall again. Personally, I still re-torque all of them regardless after reinstalling them just to be safe.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Interesting. We have a difference in understanding then.

1) There has been more than a few reports of wheel studs breaking off thus lots of people replacing them with ARP studs. Yes, there are many variables that we have to consider as the cause, but one of them is over-tightening them. To what degree, I don't think anyone can tell for sure.

2) I don't use spacers as I believe they contributes to premature wears and failures on multiple parts. As for wheels, my understanding is that it is essential to re-tighten all nuts/bolts on new wheels after ~50 miles, but just re-torque them and not remove and reinstall again. Personally, I still re-torque all of them regardless after reinstalling them just to be safe.
This thread is discussing overtightening and whether or not damage was done in doing so. I don't know anything about breaking studs.
I should be more clear. I use it as an opportunity to rotate the wheels and tires, I don't think its necessary to do it like this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts