IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up all, I've never posted anything here, I just installed the Perrin short intake on my 04 STi and I feel like I lost torque especially in 5th and 6th gear. Normally the car has substantial torque when the gas is mashed in 5th and 6th now I feel like when I step on it from about 3,000 it takes forever to spool up and it sounds like the charger is losing all its pressure. I think that maybe the intake only works well if a full exhaust is also put on? Anyone else have experience with the Perrin or any like it. They're all pretty much the same intakes anyway.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
The problem is well known and the only fix is either removal or getting engine management. The engine management answer will have to wait because we are still waiting on them to be released. I would suggest removing it and keep it until you can get a UTEC, Exede, Unichip, or some other engine management/reflash done.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Re: to my dismay my side valence ...

gforced said:
The problem is well known and the only fix is either removal or getting engine management. The engine management answer will have to wait because we are still waiting on them to be released. I would suggest removing it and keep it until you can get a UTEC, Exede, Unichip, or some other engine management/reflash done.
What well-known problem is that? The only problem I've heard of is that someone released an intake that didn't have the right diameter piping and the MAF wasn't reading the air mass properly. Is this that intake?

-st

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly what i thought was the problem damn engine management. also the shop I go to suggested giving it a few hundred miles and hopefully the computer can register what's going on. A down pipe and exhaust may also improve the effienciency of the intake.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have heard that it makes the engine run too lean right now and the ecu has trouble adjusting, so you lose power. There have been a few guys on this forum that have had them and took them off because of this. It has been discussed on every forum, that is why I said it is well known.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I called turboxs about their short intake and potential power loss. Their dyno results showed positive. I asked if there were any other mods done to the car and they said no. The power gain was from bone stock STi to STi with turboxs shorty intake. I have ordered one (on 13 Oct) but have not recieved it yet and don' know if I'll use it or not. Sin52

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
gforced said:
I have heard that it makes the engine run too lean right now and the ecu has trouble adjusting, so you lose power. There have been a few guys on this forum that have had them and took them off because of this. It has been discussed on every forum, that is why I said it is well known.
Just the Perin intake or all intakes?

-st

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have heard about from a bunch of intakes, but guru is running one on his and doesn't seem to have any problems. I am just going to wait for the UTEC.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I still don't understand how Turboxs can claim an 8.6 whp gain @4719rpm and10.8ft. lbs. of torque with no other mods. From the scans the gains are from 3000-5500 rpms. At 3000rpms the hp/torque is close to factory. It seems like it should help. I think I may install the Turboxs shorty when it shows up at the house and I'll post something on the good or bad from my butt dyno and crude timing runs on the dirt /paved roads. Sin52

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Got my turboxs intake yesterday and blabbed about it in the "good seal for airbox" post. In short, I'm happy with it. --Sin52

1 - 12 of 12 Posts