IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my perrin header back from coating at SwainTech. The took it apart at the slip joints. Is this normal to receive a header back like that?

Is this header still okay to use?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
I've never heard of any plater taking a piece apart. Sounds like the heat of the process might have made it come apart. I would check on it before using it....

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Called, they said they took it apart before coating so slip joint would not frozen.
Though it doesn't seem to be easy to force them back together.

Matt

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have stuff coated all the time. They have to take it apart to perform the work. It's not damaged. The thing that makes it difficult to put back together is that the coating is a thin layer, just a few mils thick. So a few mils on the inside of the slip joints, and a few mils on the outside of the tubes makes the fit tighter. Nothing to really worry about, just difficult to re-assemble. Tell your coater what the problem is, and ask for thier recommendation. It sometimes works just to put a little oil on the parts so they slip better. A little lube goes a long way when she's tight...

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Yes the perrin header is two pieces. I remember someone else had this happen to them, and they had to remove the coating to get the header back together. I had mine coated at a local shop and told them not to pull the header apart because it is a pain to put them back together. I hope you can get it put back together with minimal issue.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i sent my perrin headers to swain last week and they're suppose to come in today.

did you get them back together? maybe sanding off the coating where the two parts mate together?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^coating is fine. Its just the edge of header tape(?) inside that pipes that is a little mucked up from trying to push it in. I don't want to do any more mucking with it until I can get a bright sunny day and a little wd40/lube.

Pics are up.

http://sutternow.com/pics/lgt/headers/slides/DSCN0658.html
(pages 13 and 14)
If you click on the lower center of the image you get the high res version.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sutter2K,

I got my headers back yesterday, and yes... they did come back in two pieces. I also had trouble putting them back together due to the thermal tape on the ID of the pipes.

I called Swain tech, and they told me that THEY were the ones who put the tape inside to keep it free from coating. I e-mailed Perrin, and they confirmed there should be no tape on the ID of the pipe.

Another issue is... I took the tape off and when I mated them back together, there was about 1" on one of the pipes that is not coated! :censored: :censored: Looks like they "mis-calculated" where to mask! :tdown:

I paid top dollar for coating, and you would think they would pay more attention to detail! The coating looks good though!, but now I'm going to have to use some wrap over that area... kind of defeats the purpose of getting them coated!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Call Swain and I bet they make it right for you.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I took my headers apart purposely for coating to get better coverage on the inside in the middle. BIG mistake, took me 2 months of #%%! to get them back together. I almost just put them in a box and said forget it. Took a ton of dremeling and sanding and plenty of wd-40 / soap. One problem is the thickness of the coating, other is that they assemble the slip joint THEN do the welding. When you pull them apart the two pipes don't line up straight. I wish you luck...

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
halfbr3d said:
I paid top dollar for coating, and you would think they would pay more attention to detail! The coating looks good though!, but now I'm going to have to use some wrap over that area... kind of defeats the purpose of getting them coated!
Sounds to me like they knew it was a slip joint, and they knew that if they coated it you would never get it back together. And because a slip joint by definition can slip... they could not know exactly where to mask it for coating. So they gave you a little room so you could get it fit to the car.

A one inch section of uncoated pipe is not going to make a big difference. I would not wrap it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts