IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my Perrin RAI in. Took me about 2 hours to fully do it (remove stock pieces, remove silencer < PAIN, also try 10 different ways of moving the silicone to make it look better, getting everything to fit, trying to figure out what the heck the bracket supplied is used for (as it sits in open random space with nothing near it). Anyways... I LOVE IT. I dont notice any bog at low end (other then you being able to hear the engine over the turbo) until spool up and then its HOLY CRA P hold on. The turbo sounds so amazing. Man... I can feel some serious top end power, without much if any low end loss. So I would definitely say this is a success (9 outta 10) , but if I can figure out what the brackets for, 10 outta 10 ;). Perrin catch can goes in tomorrow.

Robert~

also since i did leave the - battery off (duh) during installation, it was off for 2 hours, so the ecu obviously reset (as it was hard to start at first). So I think that had to do with it, that and the perring inlet hose fitted fine :). Definitely looks good under the hood.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I reset the ecu and it seemed fine. It pulls EXTREMELY well... I've never felt such a gain from an air filter/intake system before. Then again I've never had a turboed car. edit::: also if you want more detail about the ECU... I drove around easy for a little while and slowly started adding boost and such and then after I figured out how awsome it was (the ecu caught on to the more air - i guess) I did a bunch of WOT in 3rd and 4th. The ecu seemed to adapt fine as everything is PERFECTLY smooth now. I also changed out the BOV spring to a stiffer one so now theres not a sudden jerk (I guess from c. charge - spring being to light). If you want anymore details let me know. edit again:: also it was only hard to start the first time after ecu reset... now its perfect again like new. If I remember anything else important I will post as well. I dont know if the inlet tube made a big difference on this or not, but im pretty sure it helped.

I will grab pics asap. edit: I will grab photos as soon as I get back from getting my tires put on (kuhmo 245/40ZR 17 ecsta MX) and oil change (mobil 1 synth).

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Upgraded to 245/40ZR 17 Kuhmo Ecsta MXs

yes, downpipe and all :(... unfortunately.

Robert~

My next mod (when I have the cash) will be a HPBC... so... that should help spool up as well.

Although perrin helped me with the bracket *I put it in the wrong hole* I still dont see the point of it (as its still about an inch away from everything) but... all in all I give it a 10outta 10 now, for perrin customer service.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Pics, we need pics....please!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Import car show and cruise

staticx313 said:
yes, downpipe and all :(... unfortunately.

Robert~

My next mod (when I have the cash) will be a HPBC... so... that should help spool up as well.

Although perrin helped me with the bracket *I put it in the wrong hole* I still dont see the point of it (as its still about an inch away from everything) but... all in all I give it a 10outta 10 now, for perrin customer service.
If I recall correctly, you put a hose clamp on the braket and maf tube to support the intake.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya idiot me... *sigh* , still leaves me with an extra clamp *shrug*... o well. It works fine and seems great! I will grab pics of everything soon (catch can, intake, tires... etc)

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Good MBC

I will grab pics now that I finally got my catch can in. I figured out the clamp thing and bracket and everything is 100% done and stable. Perrin has wonderful support. I will make a new thread with pics of the tires and everything that way I dont have make 10 posts on different threads and such.

Robert~

·
Registered
241 Posts
STi Sighting, US 75 in Plano

staticx313 said:
I will grab pics now that I finally got my catch can in. I figured out the clamp thing and bracket and everything is 100% done and stable. Perrin has wonderful support. I will make a new thread with pics of the tires and everything that way I dont have make 10 posts on different threads and such.

Robert~
*waiting* :lol:

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bliz101/lst?&.dir=/STI+MODS&.src=ph&.view=t&start=1&.rand=91625054875

sorry my computer decided to crash and I had to reformat a lot of junk. ran out of space so im goin to create another yahoo name and finish uploading pics there.

Robert~

All mods professional installed by Static X motorsports ;). Pictures will be of Perrin Short Ram Intake, Perrin Catch Can (soon to be modified to vent both areas), Kuhmo Ecsta MX 245/40ZR 17 tires, and whenever it comes in this week - Turbo XS HPBC

Well yahoo keeps locking up when I try to upload something... so we'll have to wait on the rest of the photos (unless someone wants to host em).

And for those who noticed it, 3 new mods on the horizon: Turbo XS HPBC, Perrin Radiator Shroud (I guess its a mod), Perrin Crank Pulley

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Did you already put the pulley on? Did you feel a difference and how hard was it?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gforced said:
Did you already put the pulley on? Did you feel a difference and how hard was it?
TXS HPBC, Pulley, and Shroud will be in end of this week, early next. I will let you know and again grab more pics ;). I plan on doing it, unless its more involved then I think.

Robert~

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Man, you seem to be following a pretty good path to an awesome ride. Do you have plans for a turbo-back next?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How many people came over here from NASIOC?

That is my only stumbling block (other then ECU). I really wanted a turboback first, but I dont know. This is all stuff I can install and uninstall easily and my parents are more happy with that. I dont know if they'd like a turboback. In the future sometime though I plan on it. Although Im saving for a UTEC ecu right now.

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
radiator shroud on... woooo... and pulley will go in tuesday I believe or monday if I get off work. I'll keep you updated gforced. edit... also about installation, it really doesnt look that bad. I dont have a pulley bar(CT?) or a belt tensioner, so I cant do it myself, but the removal process is about a paragraph big and the installation is as well. Not even a full page in instructions. I just dont have the tools to do it correctly. It is very light and looks like stock, so it should be a great piece. Im goin to start postin track #s soon as well. We only have an 1/8th mile, but thats good since I dont have a downpipe or anything like that for lots of top end power.
Robert~

·
Registered
759 Posts
staticx313 said:
radiator shroud on... woooo... and pulley will go in tuesday I believe or monday if I get off work. I'll keep you updated gforced. edit... also about installation, it really doesnt look that bad. I dont have a pulley bar(CT?) or a belt tensioner, so I cant do it myself, but the removal process is about a paragraph big and the installation is as well. Not even a full page in instructions. I just dont have the tools to do it correctly. It is very light and looks like stock, so it should be a great piece. Im goin to start postin track #s soon as well. We only have an 1/8th mile, but thats good since I dont have a downpipe or anything like that for lots of top end power.
Robert~
NICE! I am putting in the Perrin pulley as well. I like it because it is not an underdrive and reduces crank pulley weight by four pounds.

You are a walking Perrin Ad! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts