IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: HP pulled me over for STOCK STi EXHAUST!

I would have gotten pictures, but it looks like the stock pulley and I cant even see the Perrin symbol on it, so I didnt was my time. The mod was a success! Took about ~40 minutes for my mechanic to put on and man. It is pretty sweet. The car feels like it lost 300lbs or something. It feels more agile, ready to go, and such. I dont know how to explain it. It feels MUCH faster, but more ready to go. For instance if you're in first / second and getting up to speed, it feels like it wants to rocket up there. In any gear the throttle is MUCH quicker and more responsive. The pedal feels very nice. As long as you have the right tools it was an easy install. It took him 2 hours to do an inlet tube and ~35-40 minutes to do this, to give you a comparison. Remove belt cover, remove alternator, pull out old pulley, put on new pulley, and go in reverse and you're done. The Perrin pulley is a tick bigger, but the belts work just fine and nothing needs to be changed. Your stock setup will be fine. Looks stock and is a nice hidden mod if you want to quicken your car without being noticed. Well I'd love to go on for a while, but time to do some more driving ;)

Robert~

oya the only side effect is that it feels a litle stiffer shifting? I think its just because its freezing cold outside or I didnt let the tranny warm up enought, but I will find out tomorrow. Also does anyone know if the crank pulley (this isnt underdriven) can affect the shifting? I dont see how it can, but thought i'd ask.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Man after driving some more , Im loving this. If you do AUTOX oranything of the sort, this is almost a must. It feels so light and nimble and athletic now. like its gone on a diet, very good feeling. No more recoil like there was with the old pulley and this pulley feels about 10x lighter. The stock pulley feels like a brick compared to this.

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im waiting to see if hummer will notice a difference (since he already has 100whp more than stock ;) ). That is if he decides to do it.

Robert~

·
Registered
759 Posts
staticx313 said:
im waiting to see if hummer will notice a difference (since he already has 100whp more than stock ;) ). That is if he decides to do it.

Robert~
It was installed tody! There is a noticable difference in response time when I punch it. I was rolling at 20 mph, punched it, and I had a awd torque steer type event. That has never happened. Lets just say that I like the pulley! :D

It only took 20 minutes and I didn't even pull off the alternator.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't think is a "safe" mod. I think an exhaust or even a reasonably mapped ECU would be much safer with much more gains. I've had the UD pulley on my Stage II WRX and it's the one mod I had serious doubt about. I don't know if was related but around 30k with the pulley on my A/C compressor started to groan at idle. I was also a bit concerned for the lack of the stock harmonic dampner the the OE pulley has. I also didn't feel any noticable(read: worthwhile) gains from the pulley.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
What the hell's a pulley? I mean I know what a pully is but not in this case. :eek:

·
Registered
759 Posts
lstepnio said:
I don't think is a "safe" mod. I think an exhaust or even a reasonably mapped ECU would be much safer with much more gains. I've had the UD pulley on my Stage II WRX and it's the one mod I had serious doubt about. I don't know if was related but around 30k with the pulley on my A/C compressor started to groan at idle. I was also a bit concerned for the lack of the stock harmonic dampner the the OE pulley has. I also didn't feel any noticable(read: worthwhile) gains from the pulley.
This is not an underdrive pulley and I am not that concerned about the harmonic dampner. If this was a s2000 and I was running my rpms consistantly at 8 or 9 grand then I would be more concerned. Time will tell I guess.

M

·
0 Posts
just gotta say

Taking out the harmonic balancer and replacing it with a pulley will definitely effect the life of the engine, so I wouldn't call it a 'safe' mod, but you will definitely get a performance gain. It's your call on whether or not it's worth it.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
holy crap and i thought i got a deal for 129 from world one :( (edit scratch that, i forgot i paid 140 from speed monkee, man i need to shop around more,but o well teh mod was still worth it). This pulley is the same size, not underdriven, and is just lighter. All it does is rev faster, make it easier to drive, etc etc. It doesnt effect shifting either and the clutch seemed to sync better as well. I dont have that jerk i always had when just normally driving and shifting. I love the mod and if you think its dangerous, then dont get it. Perrin has already told me how it works nad how it doesnt affect anything (including bearings , oil pump, etc etc). So if you wanna miss out on this, then go right ahead. For $110 there isnt a better permanent mod. The car just feels so much better now. Definitely much easier to drive.

Robert~

how did u get it so cheap? its listed as 139.99? O ya btw, does your car start easier? Mine just seems to click on and doesnt seem like it even has to try to do so, especially when its cold.

·
Registered
759 Posts
staticx313 said:
how did u get it so cheap? its listed as 139.99? O ya btw, does your car start easier? Mine just seems to click on and doesnt seem like it even has to try to do so, especially when its cold.
He was having a wild weekend sale and I just asked him what the cost would be. Bingo bango.

It does turn over quick.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
man i wish i was apart of this elite shopping crew. I never hear about these sales, these utec prebuys, etc etc *sigh* wahhh :'(

Robert~

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hummer,

So if I follow you correctly all you did was replace the crankpulley on this STi application. It was on your WRX that you removed the harmonic balancer. Is that correct?

If so, then I'll add this item to my list of To-Do's for the upcoming months.

Thanks,

- Janq

·
Registered
759 Posts
Janq said:
Hummer,

So if I follow you correctly all you did was replace the crankpulley on this STi application. It was on your WRX that you removed the harmonic balancer. Is that correct?

If so, then I'll add this item to my list of To-Do's for the upcoming months.

Thanks,

- Janq
Not quite. :) I never had a WRX until the STi.
I replaced the stock STi pulley {which has the rubber harmonic balancer} with a Perrin pulley. It is 6061T6 aluminum and 4.x lbs lighter. It does not have the balancer. Safe mod? I guess the jury is out, but Perrin says that it will not wear the bearings or oil pump. I am not OVERLY concerned about problems from this mod but I will keep eveyone informed. I am happy with it so far.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/pulley/pulley.htm

M

·
0 Posts
Re: One card short of a full deck

Yeah, the harmonic balancer is just the rubber ring on the inside of the stock pulley.

As the engine revs, it creates a resonating vibration that can literally shake the motor apart. To alleviate this issue in muscle cars etc, engineers found that adding a balancer to the pulley and increasing the total weight would offset the resonance and cancel out the vibration.

The reason you car feels so much faster is because of how much lighter that replacement pulley is, which allows you to use less HP and therefore transfer more to the wheels, :).

A harmonic balancer is not nearly as necessary on a smaller 4cyl engine like the STi has, so while it will reduce the life of your motor, it should not drastically kill it either. It's kind of like smoking, you have to smoke for years to kill yourself, same here.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
but thats kinda like any performance part... after you go past stock, generally the life of your car will get shorter.

Robert~

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was just wondering about the harmonic balancer before I read this last post...could you please elaborate further? damn, this pulley sounds so good there has to be a catch - I really want one now. In other words im looking for any good reasons NOT to get one.... I dont plan on passing this car on to my children, but two or three years seems a realistic time to have it on my person before i sell it. will it be shot by that time?

1 - 20 of 282 Posts