IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CEL

Anyone every plug one of these (or similar) in and see what kind of readings you got?

http://www.import-performance-parts.com/plug_in_performance_testing_meter.html

A friend of mine has one and we were getting readings of .51g accelerating in 1st and 2nd gear. Just curious if anyone else had used one in an STi and what kind of readings you were getting. :D

It measured me a horrible 1/4mi time, for a couple reasons. 1, I am just past the break in and didn't want to just mega launch, and 2, I started slowing down too quickly and hadn't completed the 1/4 yet! :D Not the best way to get a great time.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
We use MaxQData system, and we recorded 0.64 during our normal launches, which are not drag racing launches, just droping the clutch at 4000 to 4500 rpm.

You can find some of the recordings at Evo School Recordings

Look at the "Evolution Performance Driving Phase I School" link and click on the "Section 1 - Slalom" graph.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were you getting this after the 1st - 2nd shift, or was that the highest reading during the launch? I didn't really launch, and all the other readings we took were from rolling starts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It is the highest reading during moderate launch (read: preserving clutch :)), not following shifting. Rolling acceleration will not generate anything significant; getting a 0.5 g from a rolling start is impressive frankly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey boyz, I'm thinking of trading my honda in for an STI. Any tips? I am kind of worried about high maintenence costs and reliability. I drive my cars hard especially when they have that addictive turbo feelin, do you think it can take the abuse? My local dealer quoted me 30950, how far do you think I can squeeze them? Do you think next years model will be different or better? any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
U.S. STI/ JDM catback exhaust?

getting a 0.5 g from a rolling start is impressive frankly.
Well, the rolling start run was from a pretty slow rolling start.

One of these days when I get the feel for 4k starts off the line I'll have to borrow my friend's meter again and see if I get get that 0.64. :D

Thanks for the information and the link!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a Geez unit that I use occasionally at autocrosses. In the STi I get approximately:

0.96g peak acceleration (1st gear), about 0.8g sustained
0.5g acceleration in 2nd gear throughout the courses
1.08g peak braking acceleration, 1g sustained throughout
1.14g peak lateral acceleration, 1g sustained throughout

This is on the stock RE070 225/45-17 tires. Total is about 1.1g.

My stock 1996 Miata (1000 pounds lighter (but this shouldn't effect G readings), way lower center of gravity (though the stock suspension rolls as much or more than the STi)):

0.64g peak acceleration (1st gear), about 0.53g sustained
0.2-0.3g acceleration in 2nd gear throughout the courses
0.84g peak braking acceleration, 0.77g sustained throughout
1.15g peak lateral acceleration, 1.09g sustained throughout

This is with Falken Azenis 195/60-14 tires, total about 1.15g. The tires are $224 for a whole set of 4 shipped -- about 4x cheaper than good tires for the STi. They're arguably the best autocross street tire.

This is with the same meter, so even if the numbers are off in absolute terms, the two should match in relative terms. The Miata just has no oomph -- while the numbers above show it, they don't show the dramatic difference -- in the car it is night and day. Strangely braking does indeed seem to be significantly better on the STi -- the extra speed and extra 1000 pounds means braking must be started far earlier than in the Miata, giving the impression of worse braking since you're on the brakes so much longer. Interestingly, the Miata seems to have better lateral numbers -- lower to the ground and equivalent tires I'd guess.

I can't wait to see what race tires and a stiffer/lower suspension do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts