IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of manufacturing a new larger sump oil pan at a affordable price. I obviously will pay the vendor fees when I get the desighn out of the way. So on to my question to you guys, what would you like to see in a aftermarket oil pan?

I am planning on adding the capacity to a total of seven quarts (the larger volume will help cooling since oil is the # one cooling agent in an engine, and of course it will break down slower). I also plan on keeping the pan steel instead of aluminum (I do have the ability to make it in aluminum) to cut down costs and steel is a bit more forgiving when it comes to road debris.

So far I should be able to offer these in the $200-$250 range, which is considerably cheaper than the $500 one I found already available.

Please keep info constructive, and to those wondering I have been a sheetmetal mechanic for over ten years and this entire project will remain in house.

·
How YOU Doin?
3,157 Posts
If there is a way to make it a dry sump system, that would be awesome. I am all for more oil capacity, but any engine is going to suffer from oil starvation in some instances (high G turns, etc).

I have no idea if this is possible on our cars, but the M3 LTW came with a dry sump oil pan from the factory, while its normal counterparts came with the traditional system. AFAIK, it was just the oil pan that was swapped out.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I sure it can be done but the cost would be much more since you have to use a different oil pump and many lines/and possibly machinework done to the block.

What I am proposing is a direct replacement larger sump. I can add baffles if requested, but for most street cars it is not needed. Now on a auto x car it may be desired.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It should have a few baffles for high speed turns so oil won't all go to one side. Maybe higher capacity without adding alot of depth. Cooling fins would look awesome and probably might even cool things abit. The drain plug should match factory location due to aftermarket skid plates pre drilled for easy oil draining.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
La Mer said:
i like the idea, especially with the high cost of oil-coolers :( .
As far as oil coolers I may be able to offer this as well at a much lower cost than ones available but higher quality than the ebay ones.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
krees23 said:
It should have a few baffles for high speed turns so oil won't all go to one side. Maybe higher capacity without adding alot of depth. Cooling fins would look awesome and probably might even cool things abit. The drain plug should match factory location due to aftermarket skid plates pre drilled for easy oil draining.
This is exactly the input I need, thanks. As far as the desighn it will be similar to the small block chevy circle track pans, a little more depth but a flat enlarged bottom this way the oil is already in the kick outs and during cornering the oil will not pull away from the pick-up which will also need to be changed (I will offer this as a package deal)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Not sure of the practicality, but it would be a differentiator and set your product apart - How about a bung strategically placed for add on oil pressure / oil temp gauges.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Baffles are an excellent idea and I will look at this in the prototype. I do need someone in the Northwest area with a equal length header to come to my shop so I can put your car on the lift and take some measurements (I like the rumble so I have unequals) I can offer a deal for this person if they are intersted in a pan as well.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
krees23 said:
Not sure of the practicality, but it would be a differentiator and set your product apart - How about a bung strategically placed for add on oil pressure / oil temp gauges.
Temp no problem and to be honest a step ahead of ya but thanks, unfortunately there is no way of getting a pressure gauge in the pan since there is no psi there. I do like the idea of the temp there though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i'm proquo get that sucker done cus i'll take one!
:D

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
umm guys and gals... how many of us would really really need one of these? I mean i have never had a problem with oil, and our engines are know to be some of the best cooling engines out there.

I would be all for a pan that adds maybe a quart or two, has some cooling fins (my 944 even has them!) and has some baffles if needed. However, I'm prude, so it would need to be aluminum and have OEM fit.

Well thats just me and my .02...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
How many of need most of the mods we have? ;)

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
QuickSilverSTi said:
How many of need most of the mods we have? ;)

touche! But really, rather than capacity, why not worry about cooling? i mean more oil is better for cooling.. but there comes a point, i mean 7 quarts? jesus, our cars are not semi trucks! With 7 quarts, you could at an accusump (and for that price to), or you could make your own oil cooler (can be done for 200-300).

sorry, I'm not trying to foil this great idea, I'm just saying there are other things you can do.....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is why I am asking you guys. If its not a item of intrest than I will make my own and stop there, I am simply looking for intrest and ALL posts are good feedback. I dont want to waste a bunch of time researching all senarios to only sell two or three and not at least brake even on an investment.

As far as the 7 quart the only reason I looked at that amount is most other boosted cars come with more than 5 quart pans, even my old car the Saturn ion redline (Yes it was the only car that had some performance that I could afford) and the cobalt ss have the supercharged ecotec's and use a 7 quart pan.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can do aluminum but it would be welded not cast and the cost would double. Most people dont realize how much more aluminum is and its a little trickier to weld. I have access to a cnc laser and I can weld in house but the steel is going to be much more affordable.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts