IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m actually surprised at the attention I get in my Sti. Of course I get every ricer on the planet looking or trying to race but a LOT of other people in general. Its not quite the same as it was when I pulled of the Honda lot the first day the S2000 came out in late 1999 where I have people hanging out of their windows screaming S2000 at intersections in cross traffic. But, I had a guy in his 60's actually follow me into the gas station today and come over to me to talk about the car. Now that was odd! I still get a LOT of looks from a lot of people (and no, they aren’t staring at the wing :) I've had people in my housing development drive by all the time and scream nice car. Ahhh! The benefits of a low production car.

How bout you guys and girls?

·
Registered
376 Posts
funny stories.....guy at a light behind me sees my car and yells something.....i stick my head out the window cuz i thought this guy was doggin my ride, i said "what'd you say" and the guys says "i said your cars the shi#" so i turn around and cant wipe the grin off my face....couple weeks later, im at a light, and this lady on her bike (caucasian woman in her 30s) pull up to me while my window was down (scared the crap out of me lol) and says man that's a nice ride...one guy in his convertible audi passes by and gives me the thumbs up whoo hoo hehe
but yeah this car gets alot of attention, just at gas stations i find myself just chit chattin with random people.....man that'd be awsome to stop at a gas station with a guy with an evo and just talk about the cars...that'll be cool....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i get lots of attention. first of all, every kid in his stock Honda Civic with the huge wing wants to race. one kid told me my car sucked and i should have bought a Honda. another guy told me i got ripped off because it did'nt come with a radio. i overheard another guy mention how he could put MY motor in his Honda. one guy told me my car was fast but his 99' pontiac grand am(stock) could give me a run for my money IF he had a 5 speed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
crashsti said:
one guy told me my car was fast but his 99' pontiac grand am(stock) could give me a run for my money IF he had a 5 speed.
That's a ridiculous comment. My GF has an 03 V6 Grand Am that I drive now and again.......even with a stick it wouldn't be very close. There is a 130 HP difference.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i am surprised by the negative attention and remarks my car has attracted. i do get the thumbs up on occasion or "cool car" but so far its been mostly the type of stuff i wrote about earlier. i think its just jealousy talking.

·
Registered
142 Posts
People haven't really been bothering me. My wife tells me it's because I'm scary looking. <shrug> I have had a few people make positive comments but that's about it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here's something I found

People haven't really been bothering me. My wife tells me it's because I'm scary looking.
That's pretty funny! :D
Some reactions I've had since I bought my STi:
1. High revving from the newly riced Eclipse next to me; we were already going 30mph. He revved and then did his little coffee-bean putt-putt into the distance. I let 'im go.
2. Big white Dodge truck on my right on the freeway. For some reason he stayed next to me for about 1.5 miles. I finally looked over. He was holding a donut in his right hand and was making a a big O with his mouth kinda like :eek: at the STi's hood scoop.
3. On the freeway again, a BMW 2002 (they used to be rally cars, right?) comes up quick on the lane to my left. The driver whips around the back of my STi, cuts into the right lane, and pulls forward. Crazily enough, he's sticking his head out the window, looking back and my STi smiling at 70mph! Gave him a thumbs up to acknowledge his rally car appreciation.

I still want to pull up next to a Kia Rio with the Sport Pac. Has anyone seen one yet?

TerraJumper :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Noise While Turning

I just sold my 2000 S2000. I'm now looking for a new sports car and I'm trying to decide between an Impreza STI, an 2004 S2000, an Cooper S Works or a VW Golf R32. Since you've gone from an S2000 to an STI I would like to know wich one do you think is more fun and involving to drive. I don't mind things like interior space, lugage space, looks, etc. I just want a rewarding feeling when driving, FUN. Thank for your time.

Regards,

Nunes

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nunes said:
I just sold my 2000 S2000. I'm now looking for a new sports car and I'm trying to decide between an Impreza STI, an 2004 S2000, an Cooper S Works or a VW Golf R32. Since you've gone from an S2000 to an STI I would like to know wich one do you think is more fun and involving to drive. I don't mind things like interior space, lugage space, looks, etc. I just want a rewarding feeling when driving, FUN. Thank for your time.

Regards,

Nunes
Well, I autoXed both cars and in my S2000 I was always around the boxster times. My first runs in the Sti were from 4 to 10 seconds faster then the boxsters so I am extreemly happy with it right now. However, If you dont need 4 seats, stick with the S2000, If you need 4 seats, get the Sti!!! Then again, the S2000 was a dry weather car only, I had a beter for winter. The Sti is a much better all year car. But the S2000 is a better sunny day car :)

M

·
0 Posts
I get tons of attention in mine. At this weekends autocross (local), there were so many people coming up and talking to me or just checking it out, taking pictures and whatnot.

I love the car but hate the attention, :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nunes said:
Thank you for your reply.
Track times aside, for you wich is more fun to drive fast?
[/quote]

Actually, I like them both equally in the "sport" department. They are actually very similar feeling in a strait line, with the Sti having more torque though. In a drag they feel exactly the same, even the shifting. The Sti's shifter is a lot farther throwing so I sometimes miss gears but its defiantly stronger. Handling is completely different. The S2000's is very smooth. The Sti is very brutal, all the torque makes it a beast in corners but I have taken a lot of corners with the Sti now that would have made the S2000's rear end slide out. I have not tracked the Sti yet with the BMW club, this will be interesting. I think the Sti will pull faster times but I know the S2000 will feel funner and smoother. Really, when you go to the track, its better to have a fun car then anything else unless you are in a professional race.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Got mine in IL!!!!!!

Haha, everytime I start the STi, I instinctive reach to push the start button with my left hand.....yep I just traded an 02 S2000. The shifter is notchy and the throws are longer in the STi but I sure don't mind gaining 60hp and double the torque. I find it's much easier to drive fast in the STi, the S2000 required a bit more concentration especially around off camber curves. I'm still at 400 miles but it's so effortless to be in 6th and hit 100. For me to do that in the S2000, I probably would have had to drop 2 gears down. Turbo whistle versus VTEC scream, tough choice....

As for peoples reactions, it's still too early to tell, at least in the S2000 with the top down, I could always hear people's comments and they seemed always to be positive. I think the current comparo in Car & Driver is making people aware that the S2000 is still one of the best convertibles around. I'll miss it but life goes on.....and winter is coming! :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
FS: OEM SUBARU WRB 2003-4 Spoiler.

Red Eclipse, Red Light, No Brain!

I was stopped at the front of a red light. One lane going straight, one turning right. After about 10 seconds the light's still red. This older Mitsubishi Eclipse pulls into the right turn lane and is still going ~45mph. He revs his engine (musta seen my STi) and goes straight through the red light! :eek: Look at me! I'm stupid! Race me STi!

The STi draws a lot of attention. I just hope it doesn't cause accidents for innocents on the road. :-?

TerraJumper

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep, Bitabur, you're right.

I actually saw the Eclipse after two intersections; who would've thought! -- waiting at a red light. Of course this time he was turning left with 3 cars already in front of him. I was going straight -- not worth it to deal with crazy drivers like that. Ironically, a cop was riding alongside me about 1 min before this happened (he turned on a side street). And about 3 mins afterward I saw two cops going the opposite direction!

I think the police should invest in a couple of STi's; y'know draw out the crazy drivers like that Eclipse.

TerraJumper :-?

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
terra wasnt doing anything to get that eclipse going, so if a cop is driving a STi like normal and some ricer starts being an idiot it isnt entrapment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts