IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<rant>
I'm now officially fed up. These new "Speed limit strictly enforced" signs have done it. They might as well just say, “We are over budget and we know from past experience you won’t pass our tax increases so prepare to be ticketed for no reason.”

If everyone that gets a ticket was to take it to court the court systems would be too flooded to handle all the requests and the city would lose all the money they were trying to raise. This would effectively do one of two things. Stop police from attempting to raise revenue from moving violations or force them to cut unneeded staff.

I’m not looking for fallacies like, 5-10mph over the speed limit wastes gas or, speed causes accidents. So if you would like to pass around those urban legends I’m sure you can find a useless tread on here to suit your needs.
Take your ticket to court. That is all I ask. They schedule them over a month out most of the time so I’m sure you can find a way to schedule around it.
</rant>

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
^^:lol:

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
There ARE certain areas in western WA that warrant more speed limit enforcement than others. Whether it be dense population or dense traffic, we have to pay attention to the reasons behind the enforcement. It may not always be "fair" to us, but we have to respect whatever reasoning the local population had in the decision-making process.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yukonart said:
There ARE certain areas in western WA that warrant more speed limit enforcement than others. Whether it be dense population or dense traffic, we have to pay attention to the reasons behind the enforcement. It may not always be "fair" to us, but we have to respect whatever reasoning the local population had in the decision-making process.
Dude you must live in Bothell. Capital of the 25mph speed limit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aspenwht05sti said:
I’m not looking for fallacies like, 5-10mph over the speed limit wastes gas or, speed causes accidents.
Yukonart said:
This would be classified as a fallacy. Speed limit enforcement is nothing more than a revenue generator. If you don’t know you are in dense population/traffic you have no reason behind a wheel. If 5-10mph is a person’s breaking point for causing an accident or not, this person should be removed from the road.
No more blatant disregard for the point of this post, please.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I go to court for all my tickets. If the cop doesnt show...you win...if he does you ask about calibration, calibration standards, standard deviation, what type of device, flow of traffic, certanty that he was beaming your car, etc etc...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got my suspended cause of the tickets I paide for by mony order and they trying to say they never got it !!! dame seattle , king county , municipal court they all can go to ....!!!%%% u know what .... I mad

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
aspenwht05sti said:
This would be classified as a fallacy. Speed limit enforcement is nothing more than a revenue generator. If you don’t know you are in dense population/traffic you have no reason behind a wheel. If 5-10mph is a person’s breaking point for causing an accident or not, this person should be removed from the road.
No more blatant disregard for the point of this post, please.
Fallacy or no, easily 90% of drivers currently on the road are horrible drivers. Speeding should not be enforced so much as inattentive and lazy driving. What's more, very few "common drivers" even understand what the laws of the road are (Keep right except to pass, signalling for lane changes, etc). Problem is, it's much easier for law enforcement to cite people for speeding than it is for the more dangerous behavior . . . which is sad. Shows laziness in traffic enforcement because they know most people speed, so court appearances aren't going to trouble the municipalities as much.

So we're both right. It's a revenue generator, but one that is based on certain facts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yukonart said:
Fallacy or no, easily 90% of drivers currently on the road are horrible drivers. Speeding should not be enforced so much as inattentive and lazy driving. What's more, very few "common drivers" even understand what the laws of the road are (Keep right except to pass, signalling for lane changes, etc). Problem is, it's much easier for law enforcement to cite people for speeding than it is for the more dangerous behavior . . . which is sad. Shows laziness in traffic enforcement because they know most people speed, so court appearances aren't going to trouble the municipalities as much.

So we're both right. It's a revenue generator, but one that is based on certain facts.
Will deffinately agree with this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts