IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was recently in a minor accident in which she was at fault. The car in front of my was following the next car closely and that car brake checked car in front of my wife in the middle of an intersection. The car in front of my wife stopped short my wife hit the bakes and maneuvered right to try to avoid hitting the car in front of her but ended up rear ending the car nonetheless.

( I wish I could find the asshat who brake checked someone in the middle of a busy intersection :mad: )

When my wife maneuvered right she clipped what I believe was a mirror of the car next to her. This left a 12 in long 1/32 deep crease in the passenger side rear door.

The insurance company (AAA) is refusing to cover it saying that it is part of a "separate" accident and therefore a separate claim requiring me to pay another deductible in order to get it fixed.

Does anyone have similar experience and/or success dealing with a partial denial?

Thanks for the help. Normally I would just let it go but she was driving my shiny new Audi and I hate having that line in the door :(

·
Registered
652 Posts
seriously, sounds like they are trying to double bill you on the same accident. each car repair (the one your lady hit, and your car) is not a separate accident. raise hell with them.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
It sounds like they are trying to bully you. So much of insurance work is just seeing what they can get away with (think cable company). If you dont argue and just pay it then they get extra money and all they had to do was write on a piece of paper that you owed it to them.

I would write them a polite but firm letter informing them that it all very much was a part of the same accident and that you will be reporting them to your state insurance commission etc. I think they may be assuming that the mirror scrape had been done to your car previously and that you then waited for another wreck and tried to include it all in one ticket. Some people do that, so you can't blame them 100%.

Do you happen to have any photos or maybe a part of the police report that would support the fact that this was part of the same accident? That would go a long way, otherwise unfortunately it is he-said-she-said. Even without that, I would just tell them it absolutely was the same crash and you would be glad to provide any supporting information they would like. I'm sure SOMEONE/SOMEWHERE there is the license plate of the car that caused the damage to the side of the audi. I assume that car also had damage and their insurance or owner would attest that it was part of that same crash?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am having a difficult time because of my wife's memory of the incident. She has never been in an accident in her life and the whole thing, albeit a very minor affair, had her extremely shaken. All she can recall is hitting the brakes and moving right. To make matters worse, my wife has a neurological condition which gives her shaky memory sometimes (stress aggravates the condition unfortunately).

The insurance company is balking because they dont have an explicit statement from her saying "yes i definitely hit someones mirror" or something similar.

Unfortunately I do not have photographic evidence of the car before. What I do know is that I saw the car that morning, she drove straight to her office which had a completely empty parking lot because it was closed for thanksgiving (she also parked in a handicap space which has HUGE amounts of space around it). She then got in an accident while driving home from her office.

The police were not called because the accident was so minor. The car she hit only needs a new bumper skin and Styrofoam insert. Further the woman she hit was in a rush to get to the dentist and quickly swapped info before speeding off. She did not want to go through insurance because the damage was so minor, however the damage to the audi was enough that the deductible was going to be significantly less (stupid plastic crap everywhere, all of it cracked, so lame).

Unfortunately it looks like I have no legal footing here and that short of being calm and persistent there is not much I can do about it. The real rub is that they even admitted it was fresh damage!!! Insurance companies FTMFL

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
that sucks. just keep pressuring them. I know you want the car fixed up asap but if you can play staring contest with them, it will help.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Currently waiting to see who blinks. Luckily the stable is big enough that I have an extra car in working order at the moment (the STi as it were) however it is underboosting and pulling fuel at the moment so I am not super keen to be driving it everywhere until that is sorted out...its also up to get smogged shortly so all the goodies are going to need to come off meaning it will be down for a couple days as well....

might be time to see if I can get something else roadworthy in short order...sounds like a busy weekend filled with frustration and bruised knuckles :(

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Yikes. Does your insurance have a rental car allowance? That might help you out and also piss them off at the same time. Then you can explain if they hadn't tried to screw you with the second deductible, it could be fixed by now and you wouldn't have needed the rental car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
One argument that you can bring to the insurance company is to explain to them that the secondary damage is part of a continuous chain of event so it should still be covered under the single claim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would write them a polite but firm letter informing them that it all very much was a part of the same accident and that you will be reporting them to your state insurance commission etc. I think they may be assuming that the mirror scrape had been done to your car previously and that you then waited for another wreck and tried to include it all in one ticket. Some people do that, so you can't blame them 100%.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just pay the double deductible. Get your car fixed. Then Rear end a Lamborghini as hard as you can. Get your moneys worth. Then drop your insurance company and take the train to work for a little while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts