IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have read up on the "Simoniz system 5" treatment for paint. it promises the world and i was wondering if anyone has done it or seen someone's car with it on it. any information/opinions would be great. if it means anything: to have the car done it is $499 for a new car and $599 for a used car....

·
Registered
949 Posts
i would like to find something as well...
i have had my sti for about 5 days and i already found a nick on my hood!
and, no i haven't been offroad or foloowing too close behind any big rigs

·
Registered
983 Posts
this is impossible to avoid. i'd say a clear bra with layers of wax will help to reduce the damage, unless u have a laser equipped that will shoot all the chips or rocks into dust. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Those paint protection coatings are BS. They are nothing but a coat of wax or sealant. I love when they tell me that with it I don't have to ever wax the car. :roll: Or when they say it puts a "teflon" coating on your car. Then when they say the price I just laugh. If you want protection save the money and put it towards a clear bra and then keep you car waxed but use a good synthetic sealant not plain wax. BTW, even the clear bra is not 100% protection. With mine I still have a couple chips. They are probably not as bad as they would have been without it but they are still there, right through the clear bra. I am also sure without the clear bra I would have a lot more though.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yeah - there's no easy way to avoid the chips except for leaving it parked in a garage somewhere. I had the clear bra installed and rec'd a chip on the passenger door EN ROUTE to having the bra installed. I've had the clearbra now for 2500 miles and noticed my 1st chip approx. 2 inches higher than where the bra ends....I've sort of resigned myself to a repainting somewhere in the future.....but I can't even imagine what the rest of the front would look like w/o the 3M protection - YIKES (shudders)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
U have that laser 2?
I got 3 installer on the roof.. My STi gonna be featured in next Star Trek movie - Conquering the EVOlution galaxy..
:)

NDMac said:
this is impossible to avoid. i'd say a clear bra with layers of wax will help to reduce the damage, unless u have a laser equipped that will shoot all the chips or rocks into dust. :eek:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I remember when GM was selling the "Diamond Kote" system back in the late 80's/early 90's...hey, I was 18 back then ;)...for like 700 dollars canadian, and it was supposed to be this "magical" shield that protected the finish from everything.

They made it sound like it was some sort of space age high-tech material that was applied with a special process by NASA technicians contracted specifically for the job... :roll:

...I saw this guy in the pre-delivery area wipe some white paste on and off in like 2 seconds...turns out that was the "Diamond Kote"!!...whatever! :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Paint protection falls under two categories

1. Paint sealants and wax protection systems that are usually a lot of talk. Yes they can warrantee for bird droppings and other things that damage the paint, but will never protect from rock chips.

2. Paint protection kits i.e. Clear bra kits. If you want to protect from rock chips then this is the road to take. It is a clear urethane film from 3M. Companies like myself take this material and make pre-cuts kits to fit your vehicle.

Dont buy what the auto business call "slime and crime" Overall it is not worth it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In my opinion pre cut kits will leave alot of gaps, or space compared to a custom wrapped-around job done by a professional installer. Plus with a pre cut kit you have to position it exactly right around any openings. Good luck trying to get it right the first time. Especially on what is probably your first and only install. Besides if you have a problem of some sort, or mess up the install, there is no one but yourself to blame, or be responsible for it. Pre cut kits may be for you if no professional installers are available in your area, but I believe that a custom job by a good installer is always better if it is available. I admit that I may be biased because I am now part of a So. Cal business that provides the product, but then again that is why we prefer the custom jobs vs. the pre-fab kits. We feel they provide a better product for the customer, and that is more important than making less work for the professionally trained installer. ......I do agree about the "special paint protectors". It is usually just a $4.00 can of wax.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you're worried about chips and such, y not just have a body shop spray a couple of layers of clear on your car. I'm thinking it would cost about 1g, though I haven't gotten a estimate or anything so its just a guess.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
All I can tell you is that the regular wipe on paint protection, whatever it is, does work.

My mom and dad both have dodge sedans mfg one year apart, one with paint protection and one without. Both are sporting the same factory paint color. I can see a large difference in the color fade that has occured on the car without the paint protection.

So FYI it is not a worthless purchase, though it is still a ripoff. You could probably buy the same stuff and apply it yourself.....

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I've seen lots of posts over the past few months on this, and my STi (WRB) now has 2500 miles on it so here's my 2 cents worth:

For wax protection, I read that Zainos is great but never got around to ordering it, so I started with Mother's Carnuba (used on my Pearl Black Integra for 10 years, was like new when I sold it). It took forever to apply like all paste waxes, but seemed to give it good protection. I rarely wash the car - I usually dust it with the Cali Car duster if there's no rained-on dirt stains. Then to do a quick-shine before a car show I tried Mother's spray on wax - this stuff is GREAT!! No, it doesn't last as long as a paste wax, but it takes literally a few minutes to apply and remove from the whole car!! So for spring through summer, I'm doing spray on wax every 2-4 weeks depending on how much rain it's seen.

As for stone chips, yes I have a few now. I considered doing the clear bra, but I've read a few horror stories about bad installs. And I still wonder what it will look like in 10 years (this car's a keeper!), if it can be removed in 5 years with the paint underneath still looking perfect, etc. In the end I decided to risk a few chips - that's what 99% of other STi's will have anyway after a few years (non-clear bra people). If it REALLY bothers me in 10 years I'll have it repainted. Hopefully by then it won't bother me, and I can sell it for a down payment on my Ferrari (that's the only dream car left after the STi!!)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Let me tell you what your STi's paint will look like in 10 years, or even 5- , CRAP.

There is virtually nothing you can do to keep this from happening. I Zaino'ed my RS religously, religously washed it, and it looks like a 10 year old GM car paint wise. Subaru's paint SUCKS. If there is one area of quality I wish they would fix it is thier paint.

So, with the STi, I have basically decided I will try my best to keep it looking good, but at the same time I will save for a good quality paintjob 5 years down the road.

Man, I am in a bad mood tonite. ;)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Let me tell you what your STi's paint will look like in 10 years, or even 5- , CRAP.
Well that's not encouraging, now I'm in a bad mood too! This is my first Suby experience, I guess I'll just do my best to preserve it...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The thing is, there is no way to know how it's going to look in the future without waiting to find out.

The liklihood that they are using the same paint now that they were using 10 years ago is very slim.

Such improvements could have already taken place, and there would be no evidence to the everyday driver of paint quality +/- until the 5 years have passed.

T

·
0 Posts
I kinda bumbed my fender this weekend and made a couple small dents in the right side right above the wheel. The dents are roughly 5 inches long and 1 inch high (total) and very shallow, so it's hard to see. BUT! The paint cracked and came right off. Now I have a white spot about 1 inch in lenght that needs paint. Looks like the paint was just cooked on, it does not stick very well to the body.

While I'm on the subject, anyone have any tips on what to do with that spot???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts