IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading through this forum section, but still can't figure out which pads i want.

I need something for street and track. Even though it would be ideal, i don't want to switch out street and track pads every time i go on lapping.

80% street driving, 20% lapping, and i have to consider winter in Canada as well (cooooold snow and ice).

I am running on stock pads with 2007 STi, and i liked the pads, at my racing level (I am intermediate).

I need something that will work well for street and track, while giving me the least dust, and as good or better stopping power than the stock brakes. I would also like to diminish squeal.
I can deal with rotor wear.

Ferodo DS2500: apparently squeals and eats up the rotors, as well as dusts a lot.

Project Mu B-Force: sounds reasonable. a little expensive, not sure how they perform on the track.

PFC Z-Rates: a vendor recommended me those. said they are ideal for what i am looking for.

HPS/HP+: not for track use. HPS would be ideal for my street driving.

If you have any recommendations, i would appreciate them a lot.

Remember, i need a compromise for street/track use, using the same pads all year round. No race pads like HT-10s and Padgid Blues.
I'd also like to keep costs down.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I was looking for a set of replacement pads and I'm currently using porterfield r4s. I like them but I'm looking for a bit more bite. I have ferodo ds2500s on order but they are backordered from rallysportdirect.com. I've been reading for a while around these boards and just settled on the ferodos since all of the reviews are pretty much similar in the street pads...so so.

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
check out EBC yellowstuff. track worthy pads that don't need heat in them to work, so they can double as a street pad.

i will need new rotors soon, and i will be stepping up from the EBC reds to the yellows when the new rotors get installed.

they are supposed to be very rotor friendly, and pretty cheap.

unfortunately, you're not going to find a track worthy pad that is low dust ;)

J.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
The pads I would take a look at are the Pagid RS4-2-1 (Black), Hawk DTC-30, and Performance Friction 1038 (not sure if they make them in STi Brembo fitment yet). Honestly though, any pad that's decent on track is not great for the street. Considering how easy it is to change pads on this car, there's no reason not to have a set of dedicated track pads.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!

I'm running the ds2500 for occasional double duty and lots of autox. No squealing but they dust a bit more than stock. I love them so far, no complaints.
I was looking for a set of replacement pads and I'm currently using porterfield r4s. I like them but I'm looking for a bit more bite. I have ferodo ds2500s on order but they are backordered from rallysportdirect.com. I've been reading for a while around these boards and just settled on the ferodos since all of the reviews are pretty much similar in the street pads...so so.
I settled for the Ferodos as well. I'll suck it up as far as the dust and squeal goes. I spoke to some guys in Canada who run them as DDs even in the winter, and so far, they don't have much to complain about, besides the dust... We will see. :)

check out EBC yellowstuff. track worthy pads that don't need heat in them to work, so they can double as a street pad.

i will need new rotors soon, and i will be stepping up from the EBC reds to the yellows when the new rotors get installed.

they are supposed to be very rotor friendly, and pretty cheap.

unfortunately, you're not going to find a track worthy pad that is low dust ;)
J.
I was debating between these and the DS2500s. I know a couple of guys running Yellows all year round without complaints. they do dust a whole lot more than the DS, and price-wise, i just got a better deal on the DS2500s.

The pads I would take a look at are the Pagid RS4-2-1 (Black), Hawk DTC-30, and Performance Friction 1038 (not sure if they make them in STi Brembo fitment yet). Honestly though, any pad that's decent on track is not great for the street. Considering how easy it is to change pads on this car, there's no reason not to have a set of dedicated track pads.
I was recommended PFC Z-Rated, but I chose the DS. a little more expensive, but they are supposed to last longer than just 1 track day. I was looking at the Pagids, my father runs the Blues on his 997; however, they are almost twice as expensive as the DS2500... He just put em on though, so i'll see how he likes them, and how long they last. we usually lap together.
I do read good things about the DTC-30s, but i'm not sure how they run in winter. Thing is, i also do some ice/snow rally during that season, and spoke to some guys who run the DS2500 without issues.
I agree, i took a look at a couple How-To on swapping pads, and i should get around to doing it, sooner or later.
I'm not very mechanically-savvy, but i still try to do what i can when i can. I'll do the pad change myself (and with a friend), we will see how it goes.

Now to see if i need to turn my rotors or not, and measure the mm depth to see if i need to change them completely.

Thanks for your suggestions guys!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do both Autocross and Solosprint with my 06 STi. I have ran the stock pads, Ferodo 2500 and Hawk HP Plus.
The stock pads where reasonally good on the track and on the street.
I ran a full set of Ferodo 2500 and then have ran the HP Plus.
I really like the HP Plus's as they have a much better intial bite then the Ferodo 2500's, both on the track and on the street. Both the Ferodo's and the HP Plus give a fair amount of dust but I don't care.....performance counts the most.
The HP Plus's do squeal under very light braking on the street but they give such great intial bite and feel that I perfer then. They are also great on the street and I live in Calgary.
If you aggressively brake be sure that you watch your pads on the front! I get 4-5 track/lapping days out a of a set of front pads, both Ferodo's and Hawks. In fact lapping days is the hardest as in Solosprint it is 1 warmup, 3 hot and one cool down! Lapping is 20 minutes (10-15 laps) of hard work!
Changing your pads is a 5 minute job! Takes longer to jack up the car and get the wheels off! A pair of pliers and a couple of screwdrivers to push the pistons back in! I just pitched the backing pieces as they where all warped from the heat. Don't bother with the grease taht comes with the pads as it just cokes up from the heat and makes it harder to get the pins out!
I am thinking of getting the titanium backing plates. Has any one tried them?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried the half street and half track pad thing for a year, ( Hawk HP plus ), it makes no sense seeing those track worthy pads waste away at red lights and freeway off ramps everyday, aggressively eating your rotors for no reason.

something to consider, when your track pads gets thin from 80% /time street braking and you need a meaty full pad for you 20% days of heavy braking at the track, things can gets tricky with all that negative space between piston, skinny pad and worn rotor.

Take a look a these for daily use $90 for all four corners can't be beat!

Stoptech-Centric STi/Evo posiquiet pads Turn In Concepts

take everyone's advice swap out pads when you swap to track tires. really takes 5 mins a corner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts