IW STi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"P0024 - B cam position timing over advance or system performance Bank 2" My car threw this code but had no other symptoms other than going into limp mode. No stuttering or any other issues that would suggest problems.
I had this code come up in my 2010 STI SE which was stage 2 (cobb dp cobb airbox) pro-tuned by BrenTuning in MA (fantastic tuner by the way for anyone living in New England). Spoke with the tuner and researched online and found that was likely due to dirty oil or clogged/failing driver-side exhaust OCV/solenoid. Changed the oil (I use Rotella T6 on advice of my tuner), and code eventually returned after 100 miles or so. Pulled the solenoid and inspected. It showed no evidence of dirt or other crud, oil looked clean, so I replaced, but code returned after <30 miles. Apparently these parts will just randomly fail without reason, and more common on Forester XTs.
When searching for the part online I found 10921AA080 (which most parts sites list for 2009+ Legacy GT). The part number on the failed solenoid from my 2010 car was 10921AA090, which I couldn’t source online, and the bracket to bolt it to the car was slightly different versus 10921AA080. For the 2010 STI SE, the correct part is in fact #10921AA080, despite the slightly different bracket. Bought through Fred Bean parts, but through Amazon for only $88…the local dealer price was $126, and I had read they would want 2 hours labor to replace, which would put total cost around $300. Ridiculous considering how easy it is to replace even for someone with minimal mechanical ability such as myself).
Anyway, the driver side exhaust solenoid is super easy to replace, and located right under the engine after removing the skid plate. It takes less time than changing the oil. I’m 300+ miles post replacing the solenoid and no more code.
There were a couple threads on this, but figured I would post my resolution, especially given the differing part numbers, to help anyone who throws this particular code. The below link shows the location of the driver side exhaust solenoid, and the steps to go through for replacing it. It has a blue plug, and pretty much slides right out after removing the one bolt.
http://www.justanswer.com/subaru/6gp1h-code-p0024-2008-subaru-sti.html
More pics of the actual part here:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/228513-need-help-p0018-error-code.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just registered here to say thank you for your post, this really helped me out. I have the same issue on my 08 STI and was unable to find the 10921AA090 valve. Will order the 10921AA080 as well now!

Cheers!

·
Registered
342 Posts
sounds like there was a revision in the solenoid, why it looks like it went back only thing i can think of is revert back to what was good. 2 hours is probably including reprogram ecu for the new sensor and ensure its not leaking....the labor guide tends to add a lot of time compared to any young mechanic who works on vehicles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts