IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car went into limp mode (check engine solid, traction control solid, hill asssist solid) and the code above showed up on accessport...

any ideas on the fix or what's wrong ?

Well maintained 2017 STI with only ~ 38 k miles

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
From my understanding, this fault code is a tough fix because it could be many things. You can find alot of info on this specificly if you search around on here and on NASIOC.

Maintenance: - P000D: B camshaft position slow response...

Try replacing the oil control valves, change the oil, clear faults, and do a battery reset. See how it goes after.

What are your current oil change intervals at?

·
Registered
60 Posts
This code just happened to me yesterday too. 2019 STI 20,000kms. Cleared it with obd reader it never came back but the throttle response is really slow and delayed

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hoping an oil change and
From my understanding, this fault code is a tough fix because it could be many things. You can find alot of info on this specificly if you search around on here and on NASIOC.

Maintenance: - P000D: B camshaft position slow response...

Try replacing the oil control valves, change the oil, clear faults, and do a battery reset. See how it goes after.

What are your current oil change intervals at?
3000 miles with motul 5w40.. ok after a bit of research saw those posts seems like it's probably sensor related

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This code just happened to me yesterday too. 2019 STI 20,000kms. Cleared it with obd reader it never came back but the throttle response is really slow and delayed

any mods? oil change frequency?

just changed my oil now, still showing up :(

Was monitoring ACVS.. my left side shows double what my right side is (47ish vs 22ish) definitely some sensor issue or something with the exhaust cam shaft sensor

·
Registered
60 Posts
any mods? oil change frequency?

just changed my oil now, still showing up :(
Oil change every 6,000kms. No engine mods only cat back exhaust. Got an appointment with the dealership on thursday so until then keeping it off the road lol

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil change every 6,000kms. No engine mods only cat back exhaust. Got an appointment with the dealership on thursday so until then keeping it off the road lol

lmk what they say! trying to find a new trustworthy mechanic.. don't really like taking to dealership especially since i have a cobb downpipe

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Was monitoring ACVS as recommended by some NASOIC posts, and it is not balanced .. LH went up to about 47 while RH was at 22 ( I think these are supposed to equal one another).. not sure if they are even supposed to be equal (assuming they are)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Updated

So I'm in the process of diagnosing this issue in my brother's car. Here's where we are and I'll update once we get an answer.

Possible causes
Bad oil/clogging control system
Oil control solenoid
Cam sensor
Cam sprocket assembly.

-Removed left exhaust solenoid and holder/block - clean no signs of blockage or dirty
-Removed right side exhaust solenoid and swapped * solenoid are swappable but not the blocks*
- started car up to temp while monitoring exh avcs left and right. Left side still does not match right side. Issue didn't jump = solenoid good.

-removed and inspected left exh cam solenoid visually ok.
- attempted to swap * exh right and left solenoids different cannot swap. Physically will fit into bore but will not bolt up. *
Just for fun I shoved them in the opposite bores and connected (connectors same). Instantly popped codes = no go.
- put right side can sensor and bolted up.
My car was warm so it was used as the test car
  • took brother's left exh cam sensor put on my car. Started and blipped throttle while monitoring exh avcs L and R, both within 1 or 2 of each other = cam sensor good.
  • just in case the actual block on his car was bad, swapped the left oil solenoid and block assembly into my car, both within 1 or 2 of each other = block good.
  • installed both good (mine) exh L solenoid assembly and cam sensor on his car, started ran up to temp, monitored both exh avcs, big variations = bigger issue
Next I'd like to double check engine oil pressure (most likely not issue since all other avcs are good), then we'll pull front cover do timing belt kit and replace exh L svcs sprocket

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I'm in the process of diagnosing this issue in my brother's car. Here's where we are and I'll update once we get an answer.

Possible causes
Oil control solenoid
Cam sensor
Can sprocket assembly.

-Removed left exhaust solenoid and holder/block - clean no signs of blockage or dirty
-Removed right side exhaust solenoid and swapped * solenoid are swappable but not the blocks*
- started car up to temp while monitoring exh avcs left and right. Left side still does not match right side. Issue didn't jump = solenoid good.

- attempted to swap * exh right and left solenoids different cannot swap. Physically will fit into bore but will not bolt up. *
Just for fun I shoved them in the opposite bores and connected (connectors same). Instantly popped codes = no go.

Today will swap left side cam sensor with known good (mine) and test.
I mean o/c is definitely not the reason since I change it every 3 k miles with motul 5w40 8100 (maybe the thicker viscosity is clogging up the sensor??)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Possible causes
Oil control solenoid
Cam sensor
Can sprocket assembly.

Today will swap left side cam sensor with known good (mine) and test.
really don't want to get rid of the subie... but if this issue can't be resolved I will probably trade it in for another car :(

Im running stg 2 cobb turboback exhaust with OTS cobb map 91 ACN stg 2 map... but I babied this car a LOT and o/c allways on point with high quality oil

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
really don't want to get rid of the subie... but if this issue can't be resolved I will probably trade it in for another car :(

Im running stg 2 cobb turboback exhaust with OTS cobb map 91 ACN stg 2 map... but I babied this car a LOT and o/c allways on point with high quality oil
So have you tried anything yet? For something like this, what worked for one car may not work for another.

·
Registered
3 Posts

As @Jay11STI said, me brother's issue might not be yours. Yours could be solved with just a sensor or solenoid. Won't know until you get your hands dirty.

Good news is the left exhaust is cake to access. Try to find a friend or owner willing to help you. Swap the parts one at a time. Till you get an answer or have to dig deeper.

I don't have an answer yet. Hopefully I remember to update this when I do.

Good luck. If you need help I'll try my best

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well Dealership said shortblock needs to be replaced said in the data log that theres a high rev which is odd because i baby my car. Hopefully subaru of canada approves the claim because i dont have any tune. Just an AWE catback.

Im really shocked to see this in the 2019 model i thought they did some work on the internals?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'll be taking it to a reputable mechanic nearby next week sometime .. will keep you guys updated (debating whether I should just take off the cobb dp maybe and stick with cobb cbe)

·
Registered
3 Posts
So... interesting development

After going through all the steps above car still had issue, I vaguely remembered reading that a bad cobb cable could cause this... I dismissed this as "no way, plus your cable is good its reading everything else and no other code", but I suggested lets take a look at the cable - found the obd connector on cobb side cracked top and bottom, the way he ran the wire he could've pinched it in door... rookie move, he ran the car over last weekend without cobb plugged in and the code has yet to come back few drive cycles later... we're going to swap cables tomorrow and see if mine shows a different reading for exh L cam than his...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So... interesting development

After going through all the steps above car still had issue, I vaguely remembered reading that a bad cobb cable could cause this... I dismissed this as "no way, plus your cable is good its reading everything else and no other code", but I suggested lets take a look at the cable - found the obd connector on cobb side cracked top and bottom, the way he ran the wire he could've pinched it in door... rookie move, he ran the car over last weekend without cobb plugged in and the code has yet to come back few drive cycles later... we're going to swap cables tomorrow and see if mine shows a different reading for exh L cam than his...
yeah I remember reading this on a NASOIC forum, but mine looks perfectly intact .. i'll keep ya'll updated on Friday after the shop takes a look @ it

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so apparently it was the sensor, replaced (so they say) and now AVCS exhaust L reads same as R ... hoping this is the solution long term and it doesnt show up again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts