IW STi Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made a post a while back about getting a P000B code and I just got around to working on my car. I was able to do some data logging and I'm not quite sure how to interpret the data correctly. It seems like the VVT angle and OCV duty cycles are the important ones to log when diagnosing this and when I look at the results, the OCV duty cycle of the passenger exhaust OCV valve fluctuates up and down compared to the LH. So it seems like this OCV valve needs to be replaced, but to be honest, I'm not even sure what an OCV duty cycle is, so I'm here to see if anyone can confirm that my diagnostic is correct before I put an order in for a new OCV valve.

Here are the two graphs: P000B - Album on Imgur. The top image is cruising at 3,000 RPM while the bottom image is me accelerating then decelerating.

I can log any other type of data if this isn't enough information to diagnose my problem. I hope I can get this figured out and get back on the road! Thanks!

EDIT: Also, at idle my OCV duty cycle is at 9.41% and VVT angle at 0 degrees for both sides.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
UPDATE: It was a faulty OCV solenoid! I replaced it and did some data logging and both the RH and LH OCV duty cycle just about follows each other now. My P000B code hasn't returned!

Also, just for anyone having a P000B problem and comes across this thread, here are the steps I did:
1. Tested resistance: Came back within range of Subaru's specification
2. Applied 12V to the solenoid and it clicked every time.
3. Cleaned it and reinstalled. Still got a P000B shortly after.

These are the common tests I found online, but applying the 12V and checking the resistance came back normal. So even if it passes those tests, it can still be a faulty OCV solenoid!

After doing my data logging and finding that my OCV duty cycle was doing it's own thing, I can across the DTC section of the FSM which states that the common problem was clogged oil, faulty OCV, or a damaged camshaft.

I hope this helps someone in the future!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts