IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: what is/was your major in college?

hey all,

well, today was the first time I have missed a shift...or more correctly, I was trying to get into 6th on the highway and ended up putting it into 4th...ick...

in any case, I was going pretty fast (late to work), and the rpm's shot up to 8k before I could hit the clutch again and shift into 6th like I intented.

I pulled over, opened the hood and checked the engine for any really bad smells or noises...there was was ticking noises, but I can't really tell if they're that much louder or if they should be there at all...from inside the car it sounds fine, the same as it always has...

anyway, my question is...anyone ever overrev their engine? what kind of things should I look for? I know bad things can happen, and I just want to know what to look for.

coincidentally, I"m going to the dealer this afternoon for some work done...

*sigh*

·
Registered
80 Posts
Generally if you really screwed up an engine by over revving you end up putting a hole through your block by breaking something. Since you drove home, I'm thinking you're OK. You may have just stressed the engine out a little more than necessary but 8K shouldn't be that bad. My buddy's Civic accidentally went up to 11K before throwing a rod and putting a hole in the short block.

BTW - I also have that ticking noise. Both in my 88 RX and the STi. It must be a subaru thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pretty fast...! :eek: Try like way over 100mph, since 4th gear can reach around 96mph by redline.

You must've been really late...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did the same thing the month after I bought it. Racing a mustang for the first time i got a chance. Try 6th and get 4th.
After checking things ( leakdown test.compression ck) I found no damage. That 6 speed is way diff from my old wrx. After 6 mo i have never done it again,learing curve I gess

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yeah, I've got that ticking thing too....most noticeable after about a 20 min drive or more....when the motor is nice and warm...DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!!.....especially when it reverberates off the walls in the garage, making it all the more louder.....and yes, I've done the whole drop it into 4th instead of 6th, and swearing that you just dropped the tranny somewhere about a 1/4 mile back, all the while, you're listening for any slight hint of a damaged motor....it's all paranoia.....except the TICKING!!!!!!!!....Ha

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Yeah ... That drip drip tic tic tictictictictic sound after shutting down ... I think it's the oil dripping to the oil pan and coolant bubbling flowing through the turbo ... It's normal ...

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
hot oil =) cooler down before you shuter down ;-)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
No, no, no, no, no....we're talking about the ticking while the car is still on...like the solid lifters rattling the piss out of themselves..."typically", the ticking that you hear after the car is off is nothing more than the exhaust expanding and contracting from being hot.....no worries there....

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Oh ... I see what you mean :lol: ... Yes, I hear that ticking too. I remember in my previous 97 Prelude, I had an MSD ignition box. I could hear it tickle while the engine was idling ... similar to what I hear on the STi ...

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
my fault i misunderstood :)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i may be mistaken but when you're shifting into 6th gear and accidentally hit 4th is'nt that a differant kind of REDLINE? what i'm saying is that the car is mechanically forced into RPM's beyond the 7000rpm redline and there is nothing that the REV limiter can do about it. its the whole driveline and not just the motor. i believe this is a very bad thing to do to any car. i believe that there might be guys with LS1 Camaros/Firebirds who are aware of what i'm talking about. i guess they have a problem with broken pushrods from this type of redlining.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
right...I was pretty late, and I was also kind of ticked off, so it was pretty uncharacteristic of me...I usually leave those kinds of speeds for the track events....

Yeah, I'm probably paranoid...I've been listening and being paranoid all day yesterday and today...nothing really different as far as performance or anything....

still hear that ticking, and yes, it's annoying and scary at the same time. On the other hand, I did talk to my dealer about installing pinks on my car, and they're totally fine...basically, they said, if Subaru makes it, they'll install it. ...

Anyway, Thanks for the reassurances guys...this board rocks...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah ... That drip drip tic tic tictictictictic sound after shutting down ... I think it's the oil dripping to the oil pan and coolant bubbling flowing through the turbo ... It's normal ...
The ticking sound after engine shut down is the exhaust shrinking because it is cooling down. There are flex sections that are on almost every cars exhaust system that allow the exhaust piping to expand and contract. This is the sound you are hearing. How much noise does dripping oil make??

·
Registered
27 Posts
As far as redlining goes.....missing 6th, and grabbing 4th is NOT redlining, not even close. The handy rev limiter is designed to electronically cut ignition when the rpms get over 7 grand. driving the car up to the rev limiter isn't necessarily "bad", although it's not "good" to do it on a regular basis either. by missing 6th gear, you mechanically forced the car to overrev. regardless of the ignition cut, all the drivetrain whirly-gigs were mechanically forced to instantaneously accelerate to 8000 rpms or whatever. It's a very effective technique to determine the weakest drivetrain part, usually the halfshaft or driveshaft. I doubt that you did any immediate severe damage, as it was only 8000 rpm's. If it would have been "that" bad...something would have "let go" and you would have had to walk to work. Make a point to not do that again, though !! Apologise to the car, wash it, wax it, and move on with your life.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Your ticking is probably just vavletrain noise my wrx wagon does it to.

SOmetimes I do hear a werid ticking though when the turbo is spooling, like something is slapping the turbine blades. that's probably bad eh?

Anyhow, I think its just a flat four thing, all my old VWs ticked like crazy also, but they did have solid lifters also, so a little more pronounced valvetrain noise than my subaru.

What weight oil are you using and what is your climate like now?
You may want to play with the oil weight slightly to see if it deadens the sound??? Especially if you run it hard.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Antimullet, the STi's also use solid lifters vs. roller lifters. I complained so much to my dealer about the ticking noise that they hooked me up with a regional rep the very next time he was around and he brought out the book showing me that we have solid lifters. I use to run 5W-30 and now am running 10W-30 with 0 difference in the ticking. The weather here in Central Texas lately has been 20's to 50's and it still ticks like crazy after a bit of driving, spirited or not. However, with all the ticking, it doesn't seem to be getting any worse, and I've noticed no ill affects in the driveability or power. So, perhaps as you said Antimullet, it might just be characteristic of the flat four......

·
Registered
422 Posts
The fuel cut rev limiter at 7,200 rpm is not going to prevent the engine from going to 8 grand if you grab the wrong gear, and mechanically drive the engine that fast. After 15,000 miles, everything is fine. The STi must have plenty of clearance between the valves and the pistons...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize they had solid lifters, I never tore into a subaru yet and I assumed that since it was an overhead cam motor that it used a different setup. Stupid me.

If that's the case then I doubt the noise will ever go away, one way you can cure it though, is put some headers on and a full turboback exhaust then the great sound of the exhaust should drown out the ticking! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone who wants/wanted Leather?

BTW....how the hell do you miss 6th gear? it's a frikkin corner gear !!!! Now if you missed 4th and caught 2nd. I think your story is all wrong. your girlfriend was probably giving you a BJ, and you were distracted. well...that's the story you should have used !!!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts