IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how our awd system with it's dccd and lockable diffentials, compares to the evo's wit has a open front, and no dccd, I know alot of my friends, wit evo;s being able to go through 2 feet of snow without problems, not that i can't but i'm just wondering oh well they compare to one another

thanks for all the info

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I dont like the EVO's setup. The car is more like a FWD AWD setup. If you try to do a donut, its like doing it in the fwd car. Back wheels lock up and you just push your front around. (I have videos of this). The STi is more of a "real" awd and acts more like a RWD setup. Much better, especially with the DCCD in play.

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ya, its has the AYC. My friend's EVO 7 he imported has it and it is nice. Hopefully they will be smart enough to put it on the next evo8s or 9s.

Robert~

·
Registered
3 Posts
The US Evo has a viscous coupling center differential (like a Porsche), and a mechanical limited slip rear differential. Quite a bit less complicated than the STi's, and I've heard it's not as good in ice/snow/rain as the Subaru AWD system. I doubt they'll bring AYC and ACD (basically like DCCD) over, unless there really is a market for a $40,000 Evo. That's probably about how much it would cost if they were to sell the Evo GSR in the US. It's more likely that they'll sell cheaper versions, as they're doing with the RS.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
?? The evo has a rear differential? I thought it just had a front differential...

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
now wait... i thought they only had one differential... I went to buy one of these and read about them online and they were all talking about how they all wanted the new Evo to have front and rear differentials and an AYC/ADC system and what not because they didnt like the front only setup they currently had :(... maybe im wrong, but i coulda sworn that was it.

Robert~

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you're going to power an axle you need to have a differential...It's the only wait you can turn while power is applied to those wheels. I guess all AWD have at least 2 differentials, usually 3. Power is supplied to center differential and there it gets split to front and rear axles...The diffeential basically takes care of the difference in rotation speed between the inner wheel and the outer wheel while turning...

·
Registered
668 Posts
yeah, other Evo's have AYC and ACD. the ACD is kind of cool... it's got a button you can select tarmac, gravel and something else. Reminds me of the volve S60R adjustable suspension. But I think the DCCD is a little cooler b/c you can set more than just 3 levels.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
erne said:
If you're going to power an axle you need to have a differential...It's the only wait you can turn while power is applied to those wheels. I guess all AWD have at least 2 differentials, usually 3. Power is supplied to center differential and there it gets split to front and rear axles...The diffeential basically takes care of the difference in rotation speed between the inner wheel and the outer wheel while turning...
Yes but what I meant was, the center and then just the front correct (not a rear one as well - 3 differentials)? *shrug* o well, no big deal. I dont own one anyways, just curious. I probably just read or heard something wrong.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You always have to have a rear differential if the car isn't driving on loose surfaces. The back tires spin at different speeds while turning, just like the front ones do.

And the third setting for the EVO's ACD is snow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sti-rule said:
I was just wondering how our awd system with it's dccd and lockable diffentials, compares to the evo's wit has a open front, and no dccd, I know alot of my friends, wit evo;s being able to go through 2 feet of snow without problems, not that i can't but i'm just wondering oh well they compare to one another
Well I finally got to play with the STi in snow yesterday. One thing the DCCD does well is allow the best of both worlds (RWD and AWD). With the DCCD Open, donuts and power fishtails are just a gas-pedal press away. With the DCCD on lock, it is very difficult to get the back end out, so you get alot of stability and control, and with the handbrake control, you can automatically switch from lock to open and back again. Handbrake turns with an EVO or WRX would not be advised due to the viscous center diff.

STi + winter tires + snow = fun, fun, fun.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Differentials 101.

You need diffs in a street car. Performance oriented-limited slip normally, hard core rock crawling or other offroad fun airlockers or detroits. Yugos-opendiff.

A center diff is located in the transmission (Or maybe the Transfer case they are all one unit in the subie aren't they?) And the center diff's job is to regulate power between the front and rear wheels.

When I used to race Nitro RC cars last year we'd vary the weight of oil in our center differentials to allow for more or less drive to all four wheels or just to the rears depending on track conditions (slick, tight, etc).

Same deal with a STi I'd imagine. WHen you adjust your DCCD you adjust the amount the center diff locks up. Locked up being full 4wd and any settings looser and that would send more power to the rears.

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
33 Posts
This has nothing to do with the topic. For those of you get to play with your STI in the snow, you lucky ******s. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts