IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install an Alpine 7998? Got Pics?

:eek: this is what the manual suggests. the manual shows the same for the wrx; but it also shows they have a fixed caliper, which they don't.

anyway, is this news to anyone other than me? if so, it's a very cool setup. it means after a track session, i can safely apply my handbrake without heat-soaking my rear pads (not that they get that much of a workout with only about 25% bias). also, it makes the the rear somewhat like the setup on the ferrari 360 modena; with a dedicated parking brake caliper.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
silencer removal

I have not noticed a secondary caliper or any shoes when I have taken my wheels off. I am curious now, I will check it out tonight.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it looks like it might be behind the rotor; as though it's using the inside of the rotor as a drum? whoa. it looks like i was interpreting that page correctly. here is the page on the parking brake. funky and very cool. someone tell me subaru is the only one that does this. :)

you know...i've noticed for quite a while that when i park on a hill, pull the handbrake, then take my foot off the brake, the car will roll back a touch and stop. (kinda like how an auto tranny car will roll a bit when i park and no emergency brake.) it's as though there is some play in the rear caliper. this didn't make sense cuz my nissans don't do this. but now, if the handbrake uses a drum/shoe configuration, then i can imagine how there'd be some play.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but does it have discs in the rear? just kidding; of course it does! :) oh well, i guess it isn't as novel as i first thought. however, if it is very common, it is weird the instructors at the track emphasized not pulling the handbrake when parking after a session *and* made no exception of cars that may use a different system for the parking brake.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
4MLA1FN said:
but does it have discs in the rear? just kidding; of course it does! :) oh well, i guess it isn't as novel as i first thought. however, if it is very common, it is weird the instructors at the track emphasized not pulling the handbrake when parking after a session *and* made no exception of cars that may use a different system for the parking brake.
The Volvo 850Turbo also has the same setup : )

-st

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd becareful about pulling the hand brake after a track session anyways, because even though we're using the drums for parking brakes, the drums are still part of the rotors. The extra contact with the inside of the rotor MAY cause your rotor to cool off unevenly causing it to warp.

Plus alot of cars also just have the disc brakes for use as parking brakes so the instructors probably just say not to use the parking brake to make sure for everyone. Besides, the track should be on a flat so your car wouldn't roll anywhere anyways right? :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dp question?

moderator note: i've split this topic. we've determined that it's no big deal that we have both pads and shoes on the rear. the rest of the discussion is about stopping after track sessions has been moved here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts