IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about two months away for getting my STi (Boo-ya!) and I'm trying to plan out my stereo system, but sense mant of you guy's know a lot more about this stuff than me I thought I'd ask for some opinions. I don't want to buy something that is trash just because I don't know any better. So this is what I have in mind:

JVC KD-LH3100 (headunit) $189.95
JVC CHX1500 (12 disk/MP3 CD changer) $189.00
-I really like the MP3 changer idea
Pioneer TS-A1680R (6.5" 4-way front) $64.95
Pioneer TS-G1347 (5.5" 2-way rear) $34.95
-I have been happy with th Pioneers in my current car
Bazooka EL8A-HP (8" , 100 watts max sub) $189.00
-Small size, minimum hassle

Total system cost with spacers and harnesses should be just under $800.
Comments, please...

·
Registered
521 Posts
my opinion is skip the 12 disk/mp3 changer and get a regular HU for a bit more with mp3 capabilities. the reason why is you save some money and how often do you have a crap load of mp3s that you need more than 2 or 3 disks to play? if you go cheap, i guess those f/r speakers will do good. and for the 189, i think you could get a JL 12W6. im not familiar with bazooka subs though and not sure how good it is. so thats my opinion.

and btw, i got my sounds installed for 750 w/o a sub. this is an eclipse deck with infinity components, and eclipse coaxials. no amp yet. probably do 5 channel amp/sub later on if i feel the need for better sounds

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. What brand speakers would you suggest I check out? I'd go with components but have no interest in adding an amp, and from the posts I've read, it's not worth it if you're just running off the HU.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
good brands?

I've got CDT components running off my head unit. They sound great. Check 'em out at thezeb.com. The CL-61a's look like a bargain. I got HD-62/CF's, which must have sold out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slowride,
Do you have both front and rear channels powering the front speakers? (if that's possable)

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you're gonna go with a Bazooka tube, go with the 10" not the 8". It's not that much bigger, or much more expensive, but the difference in sound is night and day.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, so I figure I can aford to go with Infinity Reference 6000cs (components) up front, to my surprise they have a higher sensitivity rating than the Pioneers I was thinking of, so I think they'll be just fine running off the HU.

DrEvyl, Have you compared the Bazooka tubes? I've read a lot of owner reviews and the 8" always seems to get more positive feed back. I sould tell you I listen mostly to hard rock, so I'm most concerned the 10" wouldn't sound tight, more boomy.

Thanx for the replies :D

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
so I think they'll be just fine running off the HU
I doubt it. Depends on what you are used to but I bet you wont be happy running a set of Inifinity speakers off the HU.

BTW, I have a 10" sub and mainly listen to hard rock or whatever you want to call it. I am not familiar with Bazookas but there is nothing like a running double bass drum coming out of my sub. The sound or boominess of a sub has a lot to do with the amount of power it gets and the enclosure it is in.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Slowride said:
I've got CDT components running off my head unit. They sound great. Check 'em out at thezeb.com. The CL-61a's look like a bargain. I got HD-62/CF's, which must have sold out.
Ya I got the CDT CL61as and they are AMAZING, will not distory PERIOD. Sound great and have wonderful quality (running off Alpine MP240 (360watt 4 channel amp i believe)).

Robert~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts