IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is the appropriate forumn - if not - my appologies. I'm newly registered here though I've been lurking a short time. Since the birth of my daughter in 00 I haven't been following the auto world too closely. I was a ZR1 addict and deeply involved with them. After her birth - and subsequently our son - I found I wouldn't go anywhere w/o them and hence the zr1(s) sat. I finally got rid of all the toys and am driving a 98 BMW 750il.

At the time it seemed the most protective , best performing 4 dr sedan out there - for me. Well, this started as me sending the wife out to look for an SUV for her - but I got car fever again and realized I was missing something. I love the car - its no slouch but......

I also for the moment still won't go 2 seater. Now I can't afford the M5 or M3 and all of a sudden I catch wind of the STI - well a couple years ago I was in love with the wrx - but I never went further knowing that the HP was being held back by Subaru.

I'm in a bit of a quandry (though admitedly one of which I shouldn'[t complain). I feel guilty loving this little car that my brain says is for the younger crowd to enjoy. yet it seems the only way I could get back into some performance driving again and still take the kids for a run.

Sorry for the length - I'd love comments and opinions. I'm doing this in part as an intro but also to ellicit conversation -though I know not totally STI in nature.

I'm concerned that thought the numbers are impressive - the way it produces the power (ie turbo) may feel foreign to me being more of a big cube muscle type fan. Thought the LT5 in the ZR1 does sing quite nicely at higher RPM.

Thanx for listening - and be gentle - I'm very fragile in my old age :wink:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Age is a state of mind. If you look on some of the threads back aways there was a poll about the age of the people buying the STI. It is all across the place. Some with kids even wanted custom car seats. As one of the few women on the board=and I'm not telling my age, but I am not a kid, I got what I wanted. A great car. The power is what I wanted and waited for 3 years to get here. Had an actual deposit down for 5 months. But it is a lot of engine with great steering and a great drive. So it comes down to what do you want in a car as the only thing that matters. SFRinNJ

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
i know a few older men back in australia that own STi's, EVO lancers, GT-R skylines etc. i think it is simple, they drive the car and fall in love with it!for a resonably cheap high performance car (low $30's) there isnt alot of cars on the road that can match it and only the evo lancer can match it in performance and price. go ahead treat yourself! YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED! :) ! by the way how old are you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - and I do agree on the age thing - my point is probably less related to my age than my psycological impresion of the type that would be driving the STI. Locally there is a certain physical appearance (if one was to generalize - or dare I say "profile") that you associate with the asian boxy cars that physically are customized. That said. I've always loved the look of the wrx. I haven't driven the STI - but based on the numbers I think it could be quite enjoyable on the track and around town. To be honest - my decision will probab ly be fourthcoming once I find a dealer willing to allow a demo ride. Seems I may have to wait till they;ve been out a bit before the dealers treat them as car for sale (simialr to when certain of my vette cars were released) - Just in case though - I'll try wearing my baseball cap backwards and see what it looks like <g> (PS - not intended as a disparaging remark - just 'playin') - I'll try and find those old posts - haven't come across them yet

·
Registered
119 Posts
Alright so the 2 big questions are how old are you? and Where are you, because we can find you some good dealers if we know where you are. As for the age=well we are just nosey about the image crack? SFRinNJ

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
heres an image... their faces when they cant keep up in what they are driving :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - eatv8 - no - I'm not old - at least by my definition - 43 this month MOF - just that I picture my nephew in an STI or EVO and me in a Z06, ZR1, or other v8. I come from an different era - but I tell ya'. When I ran the ZR1 at watkins glen I remember the little BMW roadsters and other small cars being a PIA. I called them bumble bees - I'd blow them away on the straights but they'd catch up on the corners - keep in mind though I'm no pro driver either. The more I read - the more I think the end of all this will be a dilemna over which color <G> - I admit its all in my head - Though it was a once in a lifetime thing it would still be real hard to get out of a 12 cyl luxo boat with all those cool toys, NAV, TV, and security glass etc. - But I'm trying to focus on how much I missed the ZR1. though part of the charm is the sound of the 32V v-8, not sure how the little 4 with the turbo will sound. Once again I appreciate your endulgence.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can be nosey - thats OK - I deserve it - I made the crack on purpose just to get the feedback <G> - I honestly have no mal intent. - but also please don't visulaize me as a typical BMW owner - that was just an intereting turn of events - I'm my own wrench turner, performance tuner and have always been a dometstic muscle car Harley drivin type.
And I nearly commented earlier that it might be interesting to tune an STI (assuming theres something left to work with) and go to our annual ZR1 meet in Bowling Green Ky - be nice to play at beech Bend Drag strip - though I'm no drag racer for sure. And FWIW - I'm in southeastern MA.

·
Registered
30 Posts
keszr1, I've got a few years on you (turned 46 this year). Back in 1999 I was feeling the same sort of things you're expressing. The car in question at the time was the Acura Integra Type R. I threw caution to the wind, plunked down my money and drove off in a car that was just incredible in every way (for me). It wasn't long before everybody associated me with that car. Trust a guy who has been where you are mentally...it's muchado about nothing! Have some fun. At least you've got the options of a more practical car (4 door sedan) than I did. So what did I do...drove my Type R for over three years, just sold it to my son and bought an STi. Plus, you've got to admit...it's much more unique than being a guy in his 40's driving around in a Vette or BMW. And that's part of the fun, too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
instrument panel

Thanks Belvadere - theres definately some sage logic in there. After all - I do agree - its all about the driving experience and the enjoyment thereof. If I didn't believe that I wouldn't be placing myself in this self imposed delema. I think I'm glad I made the post as silly as it feels. I'm very much enjoying meeting some of you.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
well if u love the sound of a V8 alot of ppl love the sound of the subaru boxer, a deep rumble with nice exhaust on it and a nice whistle from the turbo, sounds great at any speed! :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
keszr1,

Well, I might not be as old as you (only in mu mid 30's) and I a moving from the Infiniti and Lexus realm into the STi. Yep, it is a HELL of a lot loder and a hell of a lot rougher ride. Yes it gets attention from alot of teenaged boys and girls! Heck for that matter it gets a lot of attention from anyone who see's it.

I do sometimes ask myself if I 'look the part' when driving it around, but at the end of the day, I always answer, YES! And the look on the 'other' older guys faces in their Corvette's and such is PRICELESS when you show them just how serious a Japanese 2.5L turbo pocket-rocket is!

Besides, I like driving it. With my wifes LandCruiser you dont even know the road is there, much less what it feels like, with the STi, you have some very positive feedback as to what is going on.. I like that for a change.

Chris

·
Registered
614 Posts
KesZR1,
I am a 29 y.o. professional on a trading desk where the average age is 38 (I'm the "baby" and have been since I started at 21). Most of my coworkers drive MB's, BMW's, and Audi type cars. I have a VW, because it is practical, nice, and not overly expensive. I had some similar issues when considering the STi....namely - how would this be perceived by my associates and clients that may see me in it. At the end of the day I still go to sleep thinking about my STi, dreaming about the rides I will hit once break-in is over, and so awash with anticipation I actually find it hard to sleep occassionally. So I say go for it! Your seat time will tell you within the first few mins. if this is what you want - and I'd wager it will be! Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where's SNE's 2nd allocation thru RI port??

Well, thanks again to everyone for your input seems to be that age of the STI driver is irrelevant, as it should be and as I'd hoped the concensus would reveal. I imagine now the only thing that remains is deciding if the STI is what my mind has built it into. In other words as you said (StuBrown) - Seat time will tell me the answer as to how it feels compared to my other experiences behind the wheel. If its as I'm hoping - the next issue would be color.
Anyone know of a NewEngland Dealer thats allowing demo's please let me know.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe one thing to consider... How old are your children and do they enjoy rollercosters?

I personally have not ridden in the back seat and only plan to if I am unconscious and being driven to the hospital, but I heard lots of oofs, ouches, and eegads from my friends when I took them for a ride. :wink:

If you want something that won't make your kids vomit and need new fillings, and won't make your wife put claw marks in the dash, you want a BMW or a M-B - something smooth in both acceleration and comfort. The STi will thrill you and scare your passengers for sure.

I'm 31, by the way. I like to remind myself that Tommi, Richard, Colin, and the late Possum, all drive/drove Subaru Imprezas and they were/are all in their 30s or 40s. And they drive/drove the car the way it was meant to be driven... hard, fast, and with no mercy.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I, as well have a similar problem. I just graduated from medical school... ( i.e- I'm in my late 20's ) Most of the Doc's drive bmw's and merc's ... and of course porshe's in the summer... There is a stigma with the giant spoiler that makes it difficult to pass the car as a normal 4 sedan. I, due to student loan issues will no be able to buy for at least 2 years,Therefore I plan on either waiting for the legacy sti or do a trunk swap like scubasteve. !!! there are pics on the exterior forum. :)

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I have thought about the image the STi gives also. Really, I could careless what other people think. I am the one driving the car. I can't believe someone would not get something they really want because of what other people might think. I got the STi for the overall package. Performance was the #1 on my list and looks was #2.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I am 30 with two kids. One is 5 and the other 7 months. The five year old tells me all the time "use more turbo daddy". The baby could care less and my wife likes the car somewhat. She really does not like the young girls looking at me in the car. :D

I am considered the big kid around here as I am the boss.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Right on, MKIVSupra! I buy cars for me, not for what others will think of it. Usually all I get from curious people is the 'is that a real Type R?' question.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<g> One of the things I enjoyed and thoroughly most is taking ususpecting passengers for a white knuckle ride in the ZR1. My wife was quite accustomed to driving the ZR1 and had even been on the track at watkins glenn in it.
The kids (FWIW) are 3 and under 2. I felt it important to get them involved in some level of performance driving (ie riding) at an early age.

Don't toally discount the 750il however - I still get plenty of ooohss and ahhs. Just doesn't give too many ouches <G> Oh ya - I also get allot of "hold on Daddies taking a corner" and "you gotta tighten the baby seat again - its working its way loose".

I actually consider that an excellent point though for the unsuspecting multitudes.

So you think I need to install barf bags too huh - haven't run into that on yet - but it sure would p*ss me off. I'm a pretty devoute waxer.

I'm a bit concerned that I have no clue who Tommi, Richard, Colin and the late Possum are though. That is unless your talking about Richard Gephart (sp), Colin Powell and Tommi finnerman(sp) <G>

MHO re changing the outward appearance of the vehicle becasue of how your compatriates would view it is wrong. Wrong that is assuming its not something you want to do yourself. My issue was more getting past my own internal conflict that I don;t deserve to be able to enjoy the car. My Doc still comes in on a triumph. That catagory to me is people that use cars as a status symbol. I know that its hard to avoid in some cases - but in that case I'd be the one flying tthe tallest wing just to get a reaction out of the goup. Of course if you feel it would hinder you in the sstereotypical job interview - you could borrow someones saab till you got the job <G>

I personally love the look - I love the wing too - keep in mind I put wings on ZR1's and even my old Dodge Dually turbo diesel dually pickup too.
Heck I'd even put one on my volvo if it wasn't already 13'6" tall.

Speaking of the little girl asking for more turbo - one thing that saddens me is that my girl is now old enough for one of my old ZR1 thrill rides and I can't give her one. In hindsight maybe I should have just let it sit unused until they were old enough to go with me. But I'm pretty much in family mode and would prefer everyone piling in together.

My wife actually told me last evening that she liked the wrx when I looked at them a year or two back. That was a pleasant surprise. And when I spoke about what I was considering she said to go for it casue its neet and the bimmer is "old".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts