IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought this car about 2 weeks ago. its an 06 sti. i really know nothing about them. i love the car to death and seems to run good but i have never been in another one to compare it to. but someone told me that it should be pushing 14 or 15 psi stock. and i'm only pushing 10. it never gets above that. the car has a turbo back exhaust and a turbo timer... should it be pushing more? i don't even know where to start. help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im pretty sure its never been tuned.... im hopefully gettin it tuned next week. as well as puttin a boost controller on

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
What are you basing this 10 psi off of? What kind of boost gauge do you have?

You might need to do a boost leak test.

You definately need to tune, and with a TBE you are probably over boosting.

A turbo timer is not needed on these cars, since the turbo is water cooled.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are you basing this 10 psi off of? What kind of boost gauge do you have?

You might need to do a boost leak test.

You definately need to tune, and with a TBE you are probably over boosting.

A turbo timer is not needed on these cars, since the turbo is water cooled.

i'm not sure what kiind of boost gauge it is. it was in the car when i bought it.

how do i do a boost leak test?

ya hopefully tunin it next wed, what do u mean over boosting? sorry i'm a noob. never owned a turbo car til now.

and ya the timer came with so i guess it cant hurt right

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just means that it should be boosting higher than normal since it has a downpipe, so I'd bet there's almost definitely a boost leak somewhere.

And nope, only thing a turbo timer is gonna hurt is your wallet, hell a lot of people still think its a good idea to idle for 30 sec or so even with the water cooled turbos

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I was wanting to know if it was a factory boost gauge cause if it is, it reads differently. It doesn't read in psi. It reads in Mpa which 0.1 Mpa = 14.5 psi.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok where do i find the boost control solenoid? and also while i was under the car i noticed that where the downpipe bolts up to the turbo one of the bolts is missing.. actually the bolt got broken off somehow. if thats leaking would that cause it to not boost all the way?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
could the fact that its missing a bolt on the downpipe/turbo connection be the problem?

·
Premium Member
9,116 Posts
so i bought this car about 2 weeks ago. its an 06 sti. i really know nothing about them.
^ That is a problem. Why buy if you don't know anything about it?

im pretty sure its never been tuned.... im hopefully gettin it tuned next week. as well as puttin a boost controller on
Make sure before you go get tuned, spend 5 hours on this site searching about different stage 2 tunes. That will tell you what you need to buy/get. Call your tuner. See what he recommends.

Check your boost control solenoid, my buddy's 04 was only hitting 12 lbs on a stage 2 setup. I swapped mine with his and it fixed the problem.
Yes. Heard of this before as well. Wouldnt hurt for sure.

I was wanting to know if it was a factory boost gauge cause if it is, it reads differently. It doesn't read in psi. It reads in Mpa which 0.1 Mpa = 14.5 psi.
My next thought. Hopefully there is nothing wrong, but judging by it being untuned, it's probably just :tdown:.

Great link!

oh btw, welcome. Do some reading and you'll be all set. :tup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm getting 6 in first gear 9 in second and almost 11 in third and fourth. What do u mean look at post number 15?? Don't they move around? How do u know if the solenoid is bad?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i tested the bcs and its clicking. so its working. i also reset the ecu. and nothing. and i sprayed carb cleaner on all the hoses as it was running to listen for any surging of the motor and heard nothing.......... what now???

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Does the car make any weird noises when your driving, around the turbo area. Cracked waste gate? Would be pretty noticable though.

What boost gauge do you have, and how do you have it hooked up?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Find an article on Cobb Tuning's website describing the boost control strategy for Subarus. There's a diagram of how the hoses are all supposed to look as well as the location of a restrictor pill. Make sure your setup matches that exactly. It sounds like you're running on wastegate pressure only, so I'm guessing something isn't routed properly. There are a few other things that can cause your issue, but that's a solid place to start.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i tested the bcs and its clicking. so its working. i also reset the ecu. and nothing. and i sprayed carb cleaner on all the hoses as it was running to listen for any surging of the motor and heard nothing.......... what now???
In my wrx my bcs would click and i could blow through it energized so I assumed it was working. After running the car with the bcs lines disconnected from the bcs and carefully testing for boost I found out the turbo was fine I then put some light oil in the bcs and repeated and could no longer blow through it. After poping it on and off 20ish times with a 13.8v power supply all the time blowing into it, all the sudden the oil came out the other side. It worked for maybe 6 more weeks then had to be replaced as it broke and couldn't be revived in the same manner.

So just cause it clicks doesn't mean it works, in my experiance.

Then again i guess if the car is untuned and has a downpipe its most likely your in limp mode. Try resetting teh ecu yet?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts