IW STi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am working on a custom catback exhaust and need some help. You see in the picture below with 1 muffler per side. Given that both mufflers are the same, would the car sounds louder with only 1 muffer or is it going to be louder with 2 mufflers at the same rpm ?

I have 2 questions assuming piping size is the same upstream in both systems:

1. At any given rpm, exhaust gas velocity will be higher thru the system with only one muffler.... so does higher exhaust gas velocity means louder ?
  2. Does having 2 mufflers makes the car louder even if the exhaust gas velocity is much slower than the system with only 1 muffler
TIA....

Borrowed picture is for illustration only, not the actual custom catback I am working on

·
Registered
832 Posts
1. Yes, faster exhaust mean less air/sound waves are trapped/absorb by the muffler. That why when RPMs go up the exhaust noise always goes up too

2. No... Well only if you are comparing IDENTICAL mufflers. If you use a single muffler "model A" and then swap to two muffler "model A" it will be quieter.
Now if you have single muffler "model A" and swap to two muffler "model B" then who knows the sound levels.. because "model B" might be different size/shape, have more/less chambers, inlets, outlets etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts