IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't really care that much about cost, for this first mod, but i just bought mine 3 days ago and i want to see which mod should go. I am planning to do one at a time right now so any advise would be great. SO HARD CHOOSING

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
electronic boost controller and a downpipe should be your first mod. Headers could in there too as it raises your knock threshold and corrects your a/f ratio some. Smooths out your torque curve as well. I would not recommend a catback exhaust (part of the TBE) unless you plan on porting your wastegate.

Robert~

·
Registered
357 Posts
YOu can not use a turbo back exhaust due to boost creep unless you port the turbo wastegate. Do a search for boost creep and read up on it.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
a grounding kit improves your entire electrical system, as it upgrades your grounding from 1 4gauge wire (and i think an 8ga, that goes to your fender wall) to another 4gauge wire, but that is "chain-linked" from the passenger side of the car to the driver side. This improves the grounding ability and also improves everything controlled by the electrical system. Smooths idle, throttle is more responsive/smoother, etc etc etc. So far no one has been dissapointed, even the ones expecting it to not do anything. (As I havent received a single - feedback on them yet).

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Well if you do, you get $5 off until new years :) My special "christmas gift" to those who buy between now and then!

Robert~

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ill get one, but i need to buy tires and things like that first. so, if i get a BOV, i shouldn't have a problem with turbo back? thx guys

·
Registered
437 Posts
Do NOT get a BOV! That is the one thing I have learned about mods so far. All I had to do to get the "pssht" sound (a la Fast and the Furious) is to get a clean air filter from the oil change place. MY car is bone stock... absolutely no need to by a BOV. I also hear that an aftermarket BOV can actually decrease car performance. What is the difference between the 4g wire and the 8g wire Static? I figured the higher number would cost more... but from the looks of that other post it doesn't.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I'll get one, but i need to buy tires and things like that first. so, if i get a BOV, i shouldn't have a problem with turbo back? thx guys
The bov will not fix your boost creep problems (problem with turbo back) only a ported wastegate will fix that.

BHODGES3 said:
Do NOT get a BOV! That is the one thing I have learned about mods so far. All I had to do to get the "pssht" sound (a la Fast and the Furious) is to get a clean air filter from the oil change place. MY car is bone stock... absolutely no need to by a BOV. I also hear that an aftermarket BOV can actually decrease car performance. What is the difference between the 4g wire and the 8g wire Static? I figured the higher number would cost more... but from the looks of that other post it doesn't.
The only BOV I have found suited (actually all the BOVs i've used seemed to work just fine) for the STi is the WORX tuning bov. They are designed from the ground up for the WRX and work perfectly with the STi and I loved mine, I just sold it for other stuff (although I will probably order one today or tomorrow - whenever their customer support will answer my dang email).

Also from their sound clips the BOV seems to work smoother and actually do its job. Instead of letting out really quick and causing compressor surge/charge and causing jerks and such.

Robert~

·
Registered
437 Posts
BHODGES3 said:
What is the difference between the 4g wire and the 8g wire Static? I figured the higher number would cost more... but from the looks of that other post it doesn't.
This is referring to your grounding kits that you sell....

·
Registered
858 Posts
but how much current is really going through the system?

my estimates calls for 8 gauge... 10 is the bottom level...

look, my amplifier is using about 30 amps. from the battery to the trunk i have a 4 gauge cable. that is enough for the amount of amperage for the length.

if the whole car is only 12 volts, i cant see any reason to use 4 gauge especially for short lengths of like 2-3 feet, unless more than 100 amps are being used.

to me, that looks like "audio jewelry" when you need to buy a $100 set of RCA cables...

i think what it comes down to, is to properly terminate the connections and make sure you have good ground connections (i.e., scrape off the paint).

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
BHODGES3 said:
BHODGES3 said:
What is the difference between the 4g wire and the 8g wire Static? I figured the higher number would cost more... but from the looks of that other post it doesn't.
This is referring to your grounding kits that you sell....
The smaller the #gauge, the bigger the wire. Dont ask me why, But 4 gauge is 2x bigger then 8ga, then 2ga is bigger then 4, 0 gauge ... etc. It costs nearly 2x more per foot then 8ga too.

but how much current is really going through the system?

my estimates calls for 8 gauge... 10 is the bottom level...

look, my amplifier is using about 30 amps. from the battery to the trunk i have a 4 gauge cable. that is enough for the amount of amperage for the length.

if the whole car is only 12 volts, i cant see any reason to use 4 gauge especially for short lengths of like 2-3 feet, unless more than 100 amps are being used.

to me, that looks like "audio jewelry" when you need to buy a $100 set of RCA cables...

i think what it comes down to, is to properly terminate the connections and make sure you have good ground connections (i.e., scrape off the paint).
Ya but see, I look at it a completely different way, you're running an entire car off of 1 4gauge wire stock, then add an 8ga wire and that gives .5 better grounding capability... yes it will fix your idle, but if you upgrade ANYTHING (sound system, etc) usually it wont be sufficient enough. That and the 4 gauge covers 10 ft (i only have about 1/2 " left over from every 10 ft i order). So its more then just 2-3 ft. So for $46 ($14 (and i even have free shipping) less then speed monkee's 8ga kit) you can have 7 - 4gauge wires, all the +s from a grounding kit, and still have plenty of room to spare if you wanna put in a system, or anything electronical. *shrug* if you wanna go with 8, then I have an 8ga kit available for like $34 if you want.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
take out intake silencer...scoobymod.com has a do-iy-youself instructions...i did it and now i can hear the stock bov(which is sufficent as every shop has told me) i tried to buy an mbc they said dont waste your money same on bov...you will get some boost creep with just a down pipe but i put the gt spec headers on so i'm sure i get a little more creep...but the car is still a beast....it eats v-8's for lunch...i love this car! 8)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts