IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting to get into autocross at last, wondering at what point this would be an issue. There were some fairly long corners/180s where I can imagine if I was on non-stock tires and had some actual driving talent this may come into play. Anyone have any thoughts on if it’s 265’s? 200tw tires? Kind of thinking of putting a couple oil gauges on to keep tabs, likely overkill but due for some tires next year and not sure how aggressive I’ll end up going. Any thoughts on if a pressure gauge would even be worth it, or if you’d just see it drop so it tells you that your engine is dead and you should have bought the kb oil pan?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
55 Posts
I just recently put oil temp and pressure gauges in and it is such a peace of mind. I have the killer b pick up and baffle (no KB oilpan). Gauges will only tell you the numbers but wont actually do anything. So if youre worried about oil starvation, get the KB oil pan, baffle, and pick up. I think the baffle would be the most useful as it would keep as much oil as possible on the bottom of the pan for the pick up. Gauges and the KB oil combo are about the same price but at least the KB combo actually does something.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I'm not going to disagree with knyg ;)

On not of that, there are some telemetry tools out there; some even plug into the USB port and will collect other data as well. The telemetry data will be useful for knowing if/when you're at the oiling systems limits. Plus other useful into to help keep your engine happy and reliable.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
155 Posts
I didn't have the desire to increase the oil capacity on my daily with the KB pan, but I still picked up their baffle and oil pickup.
The oil pickup on the sti is a known common failure point, where the welds/braising near where it bolts to the block break off over time and then the motor starves itself.
The KB unit has much burlier welds, and isn't just a pipe welded to a collar, it has bracing too.
The baffle was just a no-brainer 'while you are in there' sort of thing.
In the least I'd grab those two items.
It's just a nice bit of reassurance that you've bolstered such a critical part of the engine and avoided the inevitable failure down the line.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, good input. Yeah if it wasn’t for the winter when I’m starting the car at 0 degrees after it sits for the whole day I’d be all over the killer bee trio. It’s harder to justify going through the work to do 2/3 but that may make the most sense. It really doesn’t seem like the pickups fail at the same rate they used to… but I can imagine feeling a lot better about having replaced that down the line when the miles/fatigue racks up.

The telemetry stuff looks cool, but i may end up being far too dumb for that/the wrong kind of engineer… does it actually get anything meaningful out of stock sensors or are most data logging upgraded gauges?

Will continue mulling this over with the focus just on seat time, if anyone has any thoughts on “I ran xx on stock oil system and it was fine” or “xx made it get sketchy” please chime in.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
155 Posts
Thanks for the replies, good input. Yeah if it wasn’t for the winter when I’m starting the car at 0 degrees after it sits for the whole day I’d be all over the killer bee trio. It’s harder to justify going through the work to do 2/3 but that may make the most sense. It really doesn’t seem like the pickups fail at the same rate they used to… but I can imagine feeling a lot better about having replaced that down the line when the miles/fatigue racks up.

The telemetry stuff looks cool, but may end up being far too dumb for that/the wrong kind of engineer… does it actually get anything meaningful out of stock sensors or are most data logging upgraded gauges?

Will continue mulling this over with the focus just on seat time, if anyone has any thoughts on “I ran xx on stock oil system and it was fine” or “xx made it get sketchy” please chime in.
I did the 2/3 combo.
I daily drive my car in Canada, and let my car idle till 100F before I even move the car, op temp for 5 mins before I 'get on it'.
I can see how the extra volume of oil would prolong this process, but you'd just have to be more patient.
The tradeoff is obv, if that's what you need.

I purchased my car at 90k (kilometres) and did the pickup and baffle around 100k as a safety mod.
At the time I also replaced the oil pan with another OEM one, as the heat from the headers actually compromised the finish, so to be safe I just replaced it.
I don't know what shape the OEM pickup was in because I had a shop do the swap, as I didn't feel like dropping a pan again on jack stands (been there).

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I doubt you'll get good feedback for what you're looking for. Most people that are serious about the track will do pan/pickup/windage from the start--far cheaper than a spun bearing.....

·
Premium Member
See about
6,071 Posts
Just starting to get into autocross at last, wondering at what point this would be an issue. There were some fairly long corners/180s where I can imagine if I was on non-stock tires and had some actual driving talent this may come into play.
Exactly :)

Anyone have any thoughts on if it’s 265’s? 200tw tires? Kind of thinking of putting a couple oil gauges on to keep tabs, likely overkill but due for some tires next year and not sure how aggressive I’ll end up going. Any thoughts on if a pressure gauge would even be worth it, or if you’d just see it drop so it tells you that your engine is dead and you should have bought the kb oil pan?
  • Baffle - cant hurt
  • Members have complained or not run larger pans due to cold weather.
  • Hard not to replace the pickup if you're in there anyway. A gauge with an alarm will tell you if the pickup is cracked - they don't go in an instant. Would be nice to use one a pressure vs rpm settings, but I'm pretty sure I'd have known with just an idle pressure alarm. In my GD it was set to app 17psi though it eventually got a KB pickup (at 185Kmi :).

As far as I'm concerned you were on the right track :) :) :)

Reactions: Break Pedal

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just starting to get into autocross at last, wondering at what point this would be an issue. There were some fairly long corners/180s where I can imagine if I was on non-stock tires and had some actual driving talent this may come into play. Anyone have any thoughts on if it’s 265’s? 200tw tires? Kind of thinking of putting a couple oil gauges on to keep tabs, likely overkill but due for some tires next year and not sure how aggressive I’ll end up going. Any thoughts on if a pressure gauge would even be worth it, or if you’d just see it drop so it tells you that your engine is dead and you should have bought the kb oil pan?
For what it's worth, my car was run by a national level autocrosser and has never had any changes made to the oil pan. The motor lasted to 100,000 mi. The problem with it at that time was a loss of compression and cylinder wear. It is currently in a modified class that allows major suspension improvements and the best 200 tread wear tires. At the course that we usually run at, which is an old military concrete airfield, it is reading over 1.2 g's on the tablet. While this may not be a totally calibratable number, it's not way way off. So as long as you do like I do and make sure you're always running at the top of the oil fill, with top level oil, then I don't think you'll have major problems.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
^ Keep in mind that auto-X is not going to have the same kinds of forces as road coarse. Hitting 1.2Gs in auto-X is way different than 1.2G's sustained road coarse, and even worse on a banked corner. With Auto-X slosh is a much bigger issue than surge, and they are very different in nature.

In either case, running max capacity is a good idea. In fact, we have endurance guys that will over-fill up to a quart, knowing they will loose up to two during an event, and it has never been problematic. This is NOT something I'd recommend for a car that is used on the street.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies, will leave as is for now making sure it’s absolutely full. May try some gauges in the fall as it’d be nice to have temp in the winter, then could use pressure to keep an eye on things next year when driving/tires improve just in case, we’ll see.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Some OBD telemetry devices will pick up factory data as well; throttle position, boost, coolant temp, etc... That along with a camera that has gauges in the view is a poor man's data logging system. It won't capture temporary starvation that a gauge never sees, but it will pick up if there's a sustained loss in pressure. It's not a great way to collect data, but better than nothing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts