IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some gauges and want to install them. Here is my problem, I already have an oil cooler hooked up using the sandwich adapter with the oil filter.

I've seen that you can use an oil galley plug adapter on the block just under the intercooler to mount one gauge sensor, either oil temp or pressure. But is there any way to do both sensors at this one location?

Suggestions on other locations to install both sensors are more than welcome. Thanks for looking. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
akinasdevil said:
I just got some gauges and want to install them. Here is my problem, I already have an oil cooler hooked up using the sandwich adapter with the oil filter.

I've seen that you can use an oil galley plug adapter on the block just under the intercooler to mount one gauge sensor, either oil temp or pressure. But is there any way to do both sensors at this one location?

Suggestions on other locations to install both sensors are more than welcome. Thanks for looking. :)
According to www.JSCSpeed.com:

"This is an genuine Subaru part that installs in place of the stock oil galley plug, located on the top of the engine block, beneath the top-mount intercooler. This port is plugged from the factory, but runs right into an oil passageway, making it an excellent spot to hook up an oil pressure or oil temp gauge (or both if you purchase a tee fitting from your local hardware store). Sure beats using an oil filter 'sandwich' adapter!"

·
Registered
56 Posts
spazegun2213 said:
I would agree, if you can find a fitting use that. If not, you can do another few things.

1) find another galley plug and use that
2) drill and tap the oil pan plug and use that as your temp guage.
Have you ever seen a fitting that enables you to utilize the galley plug for both the pressure and temp?

·
Registered
41 Posts
These guys have a few options :

http://www.wrxtra.com/cat_3.html

It's tight around the block plug but this'll give you some working room to add a T fitting. The only issue might be that the temp will not be particularly accurate being higher off the motor, and not in the flow, but you can still get a comparo reading from it.

Or you could put the stock and aftermarket pressure senders on a T off this part, then add the aftermarket temp sender to the stock oil gauge sender's location.

Or get a fitting made to add T fittings inline with the oil cooler line.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I used the two galley openings on the top: one under the TMIC and one under the alternator. I'm not sure you could get both sensors in one location. My pressure sending unit was pretty big and there's not much room down there to be doing any kind of "T" fitting.

·
Registered
56 Posts
klaymon said:
I used the two galley openings on the top: one under the TMIC and one under the alternator. I'm not sure you could get both sensors in one location. My pressure sending unit was pretty big and there's not much room down there to be doing any kind of "T" fitting.
Where is the one under the alternator? I looked at my 05 STi and saw a factory plug that is taken by something already. Did you remove the stock piece and install the sensor in that location?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
cbdSTi said:
Where is the one under the alternator? I looked at my 05 STi and saw a factory plug that is taken by something already. Did you remove the stock piece and install the sensor in that location?
Yes. It's the idiot light on the dash for low oil pressure. I just pulled it out of that location and put the temp sensor there. My temp sensor was smaller than the pressure sensor. Pressure sensor went under the IC since there was a little more room for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts