IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recommended oil pickup & oil/air separator? I am getting an 06-07 STI soon & the only mods I want are for reliability so if you can point me in the right direction for any other mods that will save my engine/car in the long run let me know!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Parts:
-KillerB Oil pickup and windage tray.
-iAG street series AOS.

Driving habits:
-Let car warm up/cool down when needed
-Drive in the right gear
-Check oil often

Done.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Any gauges that will protect my car from major damage? *oil pressure, fuel pressure, air/fuel ratio*
I like idiot lights for oil pressure and coolant temp, you dont really look at the gauges when you are flat in a corner going for gold.

You will see and react quicker to a idiot light, and "because race car"

I found these work well > Longacre GAGELITES™ Warning Lights

As for AOS, that's a real can of worms, everyone will tell you to get something different, some with valid reasons, some because they are sheep, it depends on power goals and the condition of your motor as well.

I'm running a Grimmspeed AOS with an additional baffled catch can, 16k km on the motor, 300hp, some drags and a couple of track days, lots of hard driving on the street, the can has been bone dry since I put it in, rear port on intake that the crankcase breather use to use is plugged and now the return from the AOS goes through the can then to the port at the front of the intake.

I used Grimmspeed because it was cheap and a easy install for a RHD platform, the baffled can I got on fleabay, I added fuel foam to the baffling to aid in stripping the oil from the air, I also used the same hose as supplied with the AOS for the can (the supplied hose for the can was rubbish, saying that, the Grimmspeed AOS isn't letting oil past it.

From investigation I found the oil mist that got into my TMIC was coming from the crankcase breather and nothing from the cam covers, but when I rerouted the crankcase breather to the AOS it was enough to strip the oil.

TMIC and can has been oil free ever since.

Do you have oil issues?

How old is the motor?

Do you track?

Is it only street?

Is the motor stock?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions, I'm sitting at work bored.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Get the basic defi club sport package if you just want to monitor "before kaboom" readings. Comes with oil pressure, oil temp and water temp sensor, monitored using the zd advance. The zd advance also allows u to record your 0 to 60mph, etc if you tapped tacho and speedo from your car's ecu. If you like bling then expect to spend more by buying individual gauges.

Anything with the defi control unit allows you to set warning and record parameters.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well its an 07 STI with 26k miles on it, Hopefully going to buy it here soon. Just want to keep it in perfect condition, & buy mods/gauges that help keep it running clean. I will only run it on the street, I will run it hard just not all the time.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
As for AOS, that's a real can of worms, everyone will tell you to get something different, some with valid reasons, some because they are sheep, it depends on power goals and the condition of your motor as well.

I'm running a Grimmspeed AOS with an additional baffled catch can, 16k km on the motor, 300hp, some drags and a couple of track days, lots of hard driving on the street, the can has been bone dry since I put it in, rear port on intake that the crankcase breather use to use is plugged and now the return from the AOS goes through the can then to the port at the front of the intake.
When it comes to the AOS, I like the idea of "do it once. do it right" idea. Between the Grimmspeed AOS and additional catch can you bought, I imagine you're in ~$350, and you had to install two different units and tie them together. An extra $50 gets you - what many people agree - the best product on the market right now. It addresses all of the issues, integrates the coolant, and routes everything properly.

Yes, it's more work to install, but the point of the AOS is for reliability and preventative measures. Why cheap out?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
When it comes to the AOS, I like the idea of "do it once. do it right" idea. Between the Grimmspeed AOS and additional catch can you bought, I imagine you're in ~$350, and you had to install two different units and tie them together. An extra $50 gets you - what many people agree - the best product on the market right now. It addresses all of the issues, integrates the coolant, and routes everything properly.

Yes, it's more work to install, but the point of the AOS is for reliability and preventative measures. Why cheap out?
His car is right hand drive so that may have limited his options on fitment.

I'm personally waiting for Killer B's air/oil seperator in GD fitment. They're developing it now.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Parts:
-KillerB Oil pickup and windage tray.
-iAG street series AOS.

Driving habits:
-Let car warm up/cool down when needed
-Drive in the right gear
-Check oil often

Done.
Some solid advice here:tup: I would like to add not lugging the engine. That I guess will fall in with "drive in the right gear" I am not a AOS fanatic so I'm not going to comment or recommend on that.

Well its an 07 STI with 26k miles on it, Hopefully going to buy it here soon. Just want to keep it in perfect condition, & buy mods/gauges that help keep it running clean. I will only run it on the street, I will run it hard just not all the time.
At that 26K its almost time for spark plugs. If you do buy this car think about doing an oil change right away and spark plugs sooner than never. They are recommended at 30K and may even be original plugs at this point. Maybe even replace the air filter if its never been done. I would also recommend doing the trans and differential flushes. Those fluids are due for replacement at 30K too.vGood maintenance really goes a long way on these cars. I think a good set of gauges would be great too. Boost and oil pressure gauge get my vote.

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
His car is right hand drive so that may have limited his options on fitment.

I'm personally waiting for Killer B's air/oil seperator in GD fitment. They're developing it now.
Ah, I didn't see that the vehicle was RHD. I'm sure it can still be done, but I understand if that isn't an option.

I didn't know KB was working on an AOS either. That'll be interesting to see, as they make really good stuff.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Ah, I didn't see that the vehicle was RHD. I'm sure it can still be done, but I understand if that isn't an option.

I didn't know KB was working on an AOS either. That'll be interesting to see, as they make really good stuff.
Mine is RHD, plus also as I live in Australia in a more temperate climate there is no need for a heated AOS, and fitment of the othere brands are a issue, I could have found a spot for a heated one where the can is currently but as the heating requirements are not needed that would be just more routing of coolant lines, and potential failure points that are not needed.

I am of the opinion, that now with a longer routing of the breather line from the crankcase to the AOS it helps strip the oil, the line from the crankcase where it is plumbed into the intake tract stock is about 200mm, now it is 900mm

The only reason for the can was for initial insurance, as no oil is getting past the Grimmspeed the baffled can is redundant, plus it was cheap, I am undecided on whether to remove it or not, it is reassuring to look at it and see it bone dry though.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Mine is RHD, plus also as I live in Australia in a more temperate climate there is no need for a heated AOS, and fitment of the othere brands are a issue, I could have found a spot for a heated one where the can is currently but as the heating requirements are not needed that would be just more routing of coolant lines, and potential failure points that are not needed.

I am of the opinion, that now with a longer routing of the breather line from the crankcase to the AOS it helps strip the oil, the line from the crankcase where it is plumbed into the intake tract stock is about 200mm, now it is 900mm

The only reason for the can was for initial insurance, as no oil is getting past the Grimmspeed the baffled can is redundant, plus it was cheap, I am undecided on whether to remove it or not, it is reassuring to look at it and see it bone dry though.
Remove can and use transparent hose to monitor any blowby changes. That's what I would do.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Remove can and use transparent hose to monitor any blowby changes. That's what I would do.

I had clear lines on the old 33 for monitoring whilst they are functional I didn't want the "because race car" look in the STI's engine bay, and over time, even with good oil separation I found the clear lines discolored anyway and didn't look "nice" LOL.

The car is basically a DD which sees a small amount of track, if on the other hand it saw alot of track or if it had much high power I would most likely use clear lines to monitor it between sessions, all I need to do now to check is pull the dipstick on the can or unscrew the base, if I was to remove the can I could just pull the line at the intake and have a look for oil residue.

But as it is it suits my needs perfectly, and if by chance I get pulled over by the local constabulary, it looks relatively stock with all hoses, fittings and bolt-ons black.

My scenario- Officer Plod "So what are the modifications mate", Me "It's basically stock sir".

We have pretty strict guidelines here on what's allowed modification wise here, it pays to not give them anything to look at or question, otherwise they will defect the car and you need to get a inspection at the local authorities where they will inspect everything from height, emmisions, wheel and rim size and every modification they can see.

Plus I'm to old for the hassle of returning it to stock and retuning.

I am actually trying to find center caps for my Enkei's with a STI logo to furter enhance the facade of OEM from the outside.

Disclaimer: yes that is a GFB respons TMS BOV set at 50/50 hanging off the TMIC, and yes I can see the issue with it and "the stock look", but every time I shift when I'm on it puts a smile on my face and it reminds me of my youth, some things are worth the accepted risk.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Does the enkei center cap with sti logo exist from enkei? I have the enkei center caps they are just enkei plastic double sided on to the aluminium cap.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Does the enkei center cap with sti logo exist from enkei? I have the enkei center caps they are just enkei plastic double sided on to the aluminium cap.

Not that I could find, the cap is huge, 75mm on the RS05RR, I've seen some STI stickers on fleabay that may suffice though, not optimal but at least worth a try.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Not that I could find, the cap is huge, 75mm on the RS05RR, I've seen some STI stickers on fleabay that may suffice though, not optimal but at least worth a try.
Ah I see, I almost bought that wheel as well but never quite understood what enkei meant by "oem wheel center cap use".

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts