IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So currently as the title states I'm having some oil usage issues in my 2004 sti. The cars using a quart oil roughly every 250 miles.

I'll list below so far what I observe /tested. (Motor has about 55k miles on rebuild, 140k total)
-Compression test results
Cylinder 1 - 126
Cylinder 2 - 130
Cylinder 3 - 130
Cylinder 4 - 125
-Leakdown Test
Cylinder 1 - 4%
Cylinder 2 - 5%
Cylinder 3 - 4%
Cylinder 4 - 7%
-No oil in downpipe just a light black film of soot
-No observable leaks around turbo but haven't taken it off to fully check yet, Shaft play was well within acceptable levels
-Oil all alongside the bottom of the mating are between the timing cover and block, most prevalent on drivers side, is still wet
-Spark plugs looked fine when i pulled them out and I saw no change when I replaced them anyway.
-PCV valve was not clogged, did not replace it because it looked fine.
-Amost no oil in topmount, just the slightest bit, not really even enough to drip out when I titlt it over.
-Sludge along side bottom of valve cover gasket and block on drivers side mostly, slight bit on other side.
-A bit smokey on startup but once around 150f for coolant all smoke stops, no cloud.
-Friends driving behind me mention burtn oil smell if I go above 50% throttle, have yet to do above 80ish %
-Oil lose observed on aproximately 1500 miles of driving while I owned car

Right now I am replacing my waterpump (and all other timing stuff) becuase it started leaking. Based on the below pictures should I repalce the oil pump while I'm at it? Based on the pictures would there even be any suspicion that the oil pump is leaking and aiding in my oil loss?

Pictures:

My personal belief is that my issue resides in the valve stem seals themselves given my understanding of how they work and the obvious smell of burning oil (according to my friends who I trust to know the smell). Does this seem likley at all?

Is there anything that it seems like I am missing in this diagnosis process?

Thanks for reading this btw, I do really appreceate it.
-Boganafoganasee

·
Registered
496 Posts
It's possible the seals, rings based on smoke...the front main is what you see there, not much more to get to it from where you are at, it's a good idea to pull the oil pump an replace the o ring behind it.

To help the rings in mine I got seafoam, suck it through brake booster to fog the cylinder then get a quart of atf an run it in the gas an that normally frees up rings if they can be

·
Premium Member
5,863 Posts
IMHO you may have more than one problem:
A) an oil leak 1QT/250mi is a lot of oil!
B) a real wear internal issues - what pistons are in the SB, were the valve seats refreshed when it was rebuilt?

Unless the car is plumbed wrong. You wouldn't be the first person to have a car plumber improperly and loose lots of oil. In particular, it's not so uncommon when people install AOSs. Verify plumbing particularly at/around PCV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMHO you may have more than one problem:
A) an oil leak 1QT/250mi is a lot of oil!
B) a real wear internal issues - what pistons are in the SB, were the valve seats refreshed when it was rebuilt?

Unless the car is plumbed wrong. You wouldn't be the first person to have a car plumber improperly and loose lots of oil. In particular, it's not so uncommon when people install AOSs. Verify plumbing particularly at/around PCV.
Honestly wouldn't be surprised if theres a few things going on with the motor.

Its a stock shortblock. I however don't know about the valve seats in regards to the rebuild, nothing was mentioned that specificially in the rebuilds reciepts. Im guessing that means that they wern't touched.

I'll definitely give the pcv plumbing a go through. Never crossed my mind that it could be screwed up atm. Will just replace the valve itself while im at it given it costs like 7 bucks.

-Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts