IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my car is 2 days old. when i drove it home the frist time i noticed some smoke coming from the hood scoop and could smell oil. i figured maybe it was just some spilled oil when they filled it. but now i notice it is coming form somewhere around the turbo. i don;t knwo much about turbo, but isn't there a oil return line? it leaks for like 10 seconds after i turn the car off. and i have to wait until mon to get it seen by tech beacause the weekend guys only do oil changes :evil: needless to say i am pretty pissed. anyone got any tips ti what is prob a easy fix?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Man that sux. What is it with Subaru dealers??? All of them around by me tell me the same thing about Saturdays and those are the ones who's service depts are even open on Saturday. One thing nice about Toyota, the dealer by me is open till midnight during the week and I think 1pm or later on Sat.

Sorry I don't know what your problem might be, just had to vent.

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
it's not an oil leak it's the cosmoline burning off. It's completely normal and goes away after a little while. if you've ever bought something like a woodworking tool that came packed in grease you've seen it. they use the same stuff to keep bits from rusting while shipping overseas.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought maybe it was somethign like that,but it is still doing it at 350 miles. plus i have drips of oil in my driveway.i thin it is something really simple,but it is happening under the heat sheild so i am not gonna mess with it. hopefully they will give me floor mats for the trouble :)

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I am not sure if this is cosmoline. New cars usually stink from the stuff burning off after you first get the car but I have not seen smoke from it before. Unless the guy or machine applying it got a little carried away and applied too much. Either way I would get it checked out to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
General Suspension Question

gotta wait till tomorrow. oil level is still fine. but i know it is oil. i've had enough on my hands and smelled it long enough to know that is what it is. i have to wait until after my school though :( at least i got my radio hook uped !! (alpine deck, 170a's 6.5's fr, 130a's r 5.25's, mtx amp for front)

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Black/Gold in Southern Mich

turns out it was the feed line to the turbo. the banjo fitting was loose and leaking. i still get a little smoke, but that is from all the cleaner the guy used. he said there was an assload of oil. he had to add a quart. so i'll give it a day or 2 to clear out and it should be good. i'm just glad i got rid of that smoke and leak. plus my car is running right. i can feel the power diff cuz i wasn't making full boost before. oh and i wasn't trying to be a smart ass in the last post, sorry if i came off that way :embaressed:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Glad you find the problem, but did they address the possibility that you may have a turbo that has been run without proper lubrication for XX amount of miles?

I'd be making sure they have note of all of this in your records should you have a turbo problem down the road.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah they made note of it. i think it was lubed fine though,cuz it never smoked or anything until i shut down the car.but if anything i have a copy of the mechanics note and repairs made sheet. oh and i did get free floormats, and a wrx hat :) stupid little things make me happy ;P

1 - 10 of 10 Posts