IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been covered before and I apologize if it has.....but I've looked everywhere.............

Installing Oil Pressure and Oil temp guages...where do the senders go? I thought I saw something about a sandwich plate between the oil filter and engine but now I'm not sure...........

Also I bought the oil galley plug from subaruwrxparts.com and haven't looked for where that goes.....but still it's only 1 adapter and I have 2 guages................

Again I apologize if this has been covered before....................

Maybe someone can show me the way :roll:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You can go with the Greddy Sandwich adapter which has 2 1/8 pt taps for both an oil temp and oil press. sensors. I wouldn't go this route...just makes the oil filter sit too low for my taste and I don't believe that the sensors will reflect anything of significance mounted right before the oil filter.

Here is another option how to hook up your oil temp/press. guages and this thread will show you EXACTLY where to put that plug you bought from subaruwrxparts.com:
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=059271c0ce8928b252ce93bea960b168&threadid=612

Make sure your read through it thoroughly because you will find a solution for both oil temp and oil press. set ups without having to shell out another $50-60 on a sandwich adapter.

Hope this helps,

-STiLL

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thanks STiLL............that's perfect!!! :D

Are you SoCal or NorCal?

Thanks again.............................

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
AussieBorn----No prob, bro. I'm neither NorCal or SoCal...I'm located in CentralCal, specifically San Luis Obispo County(I'd be really surprised if you know where that is!).

I tried to get a dealer trade(involving my local dealership, Rancho Grande Motors) for a white/gold STi from Bob Baker Subaru down there in El Cajon but our timing was way off...the fires down there had temporarily blocked all phone calls. So, in the end, my dealership decided to put the order in for my white/gold STi which will be arriving this month.

BTW,
I hope everything is OK down there in San Diego!

-STiLL

·
Registered
282 Posts
Subaru Response...

Sorry this is OT, but are you in SLO? My little brother's going to Cal-Poly and drives a WRB WRX. I'd tell you to goose it a little to demonstrate the STi power but there's a cop that's pulled my brother over a bunch of times for nothing.

Oh, to be on topic, I'll be installing an oil pressure gauge too :)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Fhqwhgads said:
Sorry this is OT, but are you in SLO? My little brother's going to Cal-Poly and drives a WRB WRX. I'd tell you to goose it a little to demonstrate the STi power but there's a cop that's pulled my brother over a bunch of times for nothing.

Oh, to be on topic, I'll be installing an oil pressure gauge too :)
Fhqwhgads,

Yeah, I'm one of the rare ones on the boards that's from little ol' SLO. Whenever my STi comes in this month, I'm going to try to get WRX meet started here on the central coast. Nice to know someone on the boards at least knows where SLO town is. :D You got yourself an STi too? Where are you at?

Oh yah, I hope everything works out with the oil pressure gauge!

-STiLL

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeah, I know where it is but I've only driven through about 8 years ago :)

My brother started going to Cal-Poly a couple years ago, but I haven't come down to visit. He got a WRX when they just came out, and I bided my time :) So know I've got the STi. I'm in Phoenix, AZ

The gauge shouldn't be too bad to install (I hope). I'm thinking it'll take me a couple hours, so I should be done in about 6 hours ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey STiLL...........so I step out of work today and everyone sez...hey there's a STi over there in traffic!................So I look and it's a White/Gold with Bob Baker plates on it!............I guess that was yours huh?

I got mine at Baker also(long story for another forum).................it's about 20 miles east of me.............

The Oil guage/boost guage install goes in this weekend................

And of course I know where SLO is! Been there a few times...........that whole area-the 101 from SBA to Salinas is probably one of the nicer drives in California.........when we go to SLO we stay at the Apple Farm(pricey but she can afford it)............SLO county.........Arroyo Grande, Avila Beach(what a mess they have)..SLO........Morro Bay......Paso Robles(is the A&W still operating?)

Well it's time for guage install.......................

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
it seems to me that there is only one port used in the referenced install forum. STR8OUT used the port for oil P, then jecpha used the same port for temp... This poses a problem for Aussieborn and myself - we are trying to install 2 gauges - so we need two ports... Any suggestions, or am I blind here?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
j-co said:
Hi,
it seems to me that there is only one port used in the referenced install forum. STR8OUT used the port for oil P, then jecpha used the same port for temp... This poses a problem for Aussieborn and myself - we are trying to install 2 gauges - so we need two ports... Any suggestions, or am I blind here?
There were two different taps used, look again. Jehcpa used an OEM oil gallery tap right under the intercooler for oil temp. On the second page, he used an OEM oil gallery tap using the same location as the stock dummy light switch which is located to the left of the alternator(front of motor).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aussieborn,

I wish it was mine you were looking at, that was my evil twin. :) I'm waiting to take delivery of my STi here in SLO any day now(it's due to come in anytime before Thanksgiving).

Glad you know where SLO is..especially surprised to see that you've spent a little more than a 'drive by' here in my little town. You pretty much covered the whole gamut of towns from Paso Robles to Arroyo Grande, I'm impressed! :wink: Apple farm is a nice, yet relatively unknown 'little piece of heaven.' Glad you've got to stay there. Yes A&W is still in operation, tip top shape. Let me know the next time you're cruising up here, hopefully I'll have my STi by then and we could snap a few shots.

-STiLL

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
:wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts