IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may or may not be a repost....sorry if it is...

Obiviously, WRX and STi use the same OEM part number, either the 060 or 080 number, any filter that works on a WRX should at least work on an STi...

Additionally, the smaller diameter fitler is obiviously better, not only to create as much space between the up-pipe and filter as possible, but it has been found on B-series honda motors the smaller diameter filters reduce oil pressure fluctuations associated with flex in the filter caseing. Honda had even starting specifying the smaller diameter K-series (RSX) filter for the older B-series cars (integra)

I really like mobile1 oil filters because from my amature observations (wow, my oil doesn't look like poo!!) after oil changes in the past lead me to believe they work really good. Besides, It's like a 30minute drive to a subaru dealership from my house.

So I walk into autozone to get a filter to change my oil. Of course they have no M1 part number for 04 STi, but the do have a fram part number for a 02 WRX...PH3593A, which I rembember from my honda days as being the same part number as the Integra oil filter..A large diameter filter. The RSX (small diameter) fram part number is PH7317, which cross refrences to mobile1 part number M1-110. So this is my part.

a side by side comparison (no pics, I suck) shows the M1-110 to be the same diameter as the 060 oem filter I took off my car, but a little longer, which should provide a little extra filter element surface area.

cliff notes: IMO any acura Integra or RSX filter application will work on 04 STi, but to get the smaller diameter use the RSX part.

sorry that was so long

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
"Obiviously, WRX and STi use the same OEM part number, either the 060 or 080 number, any filter that works on a WRX should at least work on an STi... "

That doesnt make sense to me as the two filters have two different input and are two different sizes... One has a concave and the other convex inlet hole and the white is big compared to the black (i believe).

Robert~

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock boost level...

both dealerships in my area are listing only 1 part number for all impreza oil filters. IMO the concave/convex inlet would affect the function of the filter very minimally and the fact tat one is concave and the other is not if a function of packageing rather then function.
the sizes of the filter cases is different, but when you compare the sealing surface of both filters, they are identicle

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ya well, i dont understand why they would make a different filter and they both be the same. So I will stick with the 080 filter... as I dont want to try it using the 060 or a wrx filter (fram, etc). I dont understand how they could be THAT different and still the same (even if it doesnt vary as much performance wise).

Robert~

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
080 [edited] is the correct filter for the STi and WRX. There was a bulletin or something about it. Apparently the larger size of the 060 [edited] causes it to touch the exhaust manifold. It certainly appears as though it would on the STi, not sure about the 2 liter.

One guy on clubwrx had a motor related failure (spun bearing I think) because he used a fram oil filter. The filter broke and some of the filtering material cloged an oil line. Probably just a fluke, but I thought you would want to know.

-st

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Singletrack said:
060 is the correct filter for the STi and WRX. There was a bulletin or something about it. Apparently the larger size of the 080 causes it to touch the exhaust manifold. It certainly appears as though it would on the STi, not sure about the 2 liter.

One guy on clubwrx had a motor related failure (spun bearing I think) because he used a fram oil filter. The filter broke and some of the filtering material cloged an oil line. Probably just a fluke, but I thought you would want to know.

-st
The 080 is the SMALLER one. The 080 is tiny and if the 060 was any smaller it wouldnt exist. I figured that was the whole reason behind NOT using the 060.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
staticx313 said:
Singletrack said:
060 is the correct filter for the STi and WRX. There was a bulletin or something about it. Apparently the larger size of the 080 causes it to touch the exhaust manifold. It certainly appears as though it would on the STi, not sure about the 2 liter.

-st
The 080 is the SMALLER one. The 080 is tiny and if the 060 was any smaller it wouldnt exist. I figured that was the whole reason behind NOT using the 060.

Robert~
Yeah, I'm retarded.

Thanks for catching that before I screw someone over.

-st

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
whoa man np... just kinda scared me as i have used the 080 for the last 4 changes ... whew.. no biggie man just startled me ;) i've made plenty of those screw ups before so dont sweat it lol

But ya i heard about the fram thing too (from other people having it happen)... I just stick with the factory stuff. Unless STi creates one (like TRD now has for the Supra).

Robert~

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
staticx313 said:
whoa man np... just kinda scared me as i have used the 080 for the last 4 changes ... whew.. no biggie man just startled me ;) i've made plenty of those screw ups before so dont sweat it lol

But ya i heard about the fram thing too (from other people having it happen)... I just stick with the factory stuff. Unless STi creates one (like TRD now has for the Supra).

Robert~
I went back and edited the post for future searching sake. Arrrrrrrrrrgh, I'm stuck at work until 8PM tonight and not thinking straight because I'm so pissed : )

-st

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
lol i understand that man... im stuck behind a computer typing in #s into the inventory, all I can do is surf here and the web while the computer takes forever to do stuff :(

Robert~

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't/won't use the frams. I have found that they are really good about cross refrenceing part numbers though, so I use the fram part numbers to figure out if stuff will work on my car or not.
I do use mobile1 fitlers though. A guy on prelude on line cut up a bunch of filters a few years ago and his observations lead me to believe the mobile1 filters are really good.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Silversatin said:
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2119

This has been talked about to death the correct filter for the STI is the 080.... :-?
I know.....
I like mobile1 filters better.
mobile1 does not list a p/n for 04sti.
wow....first post of 04....I am a loser

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
tecnic1 said:
Besides, It's like a 30minute drive to a subaru dealership from my house..
sorry that was so long
i see everyone got the filter PN issue correct thanks to (singltrack).

i was pleased with the price and service of my source for the 080 filters. they sell the washer too.

give 'em a call. delivered to your door!

$32.10 per 6-pack

http://www.allsubaru.com

·
Registered
694 Posts
Silversatin said:
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2119

This has been talked about to death the correct filter for the STI is the 080.... :-?
I should be a hand model, don't you think? ;)

Whatever you do, make sure that the oil filter you use says "Engine" on the bottom! The STi filter (080) is nearly identical to the Forester auto tranny filter, as you can see in my pics.

Yes, this has been talked to death, by SubieGal/Jamie/whatever as well. Her parts sources say that it doesn't matter, but the tech bulletins say differently. Myself, I trust a tech much farther than I trust a parts counter person.

ZenBoy the Mildly Hungover

1 - 15 of 15 Posts