IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MA: WTT Silver Sti wheels+tires for Gold wheels and tires.

I just put on a NAPA Gold 1365 oil filter. It appears to fit fine. Can anyone tell me if this is the right filter for the STi? The NAPA parts book shows that it fits the the 2003 2.5 motor. I am assuming the filter didn't change.
The reason I went with the NAPA filter is the factory filters are usually fair to poor quality.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
You can use the filter slated for the WRX. I hear that the STI and forrester share the same motor, so it might be possible that you will not have any problems. If you do a search, you should be able to learn more information. THe fact that it fits without any leaks is good. You may want to be sure this ok before you run out the 3000 miles before your next oil change. I do not have time right now, otherwise I would provide you with a link.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nivek-CA said:
You can use the filter slated for the WRX. I hear that the STI and forrester share the same motor, so it might be possible that you will not have any problems. If you do a search, you should be able to learn more information. THe fact that it fits without any leaks is good. You may want to be sure this ok before you run out the 3000 miles before your next oil change. I do not have time right now, otherwise I would provide you with a link.
I did a search and I couldn't come up with any information. I sent and email off to NAPA Auto Parts and I am waiting on their reply.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The STi doesn't use the same oil filter as the 03 wrx....

It uses a smaller one that's supposed to filter better and keep it cooler.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bitabur said:
The STi doesn't use the same oil filter as the 03 wrx....

It uses a smaller one that's supposed to filter better and keep it cooler.
You are right. NAPA originally gave me a filter about twice as big as the stock filter. Aparently the threads and mount are the same but the filter body is larger. I understand that the STi originally had the larger diameter filter on it. Then they switched to the smaller diameter filter.
I hear it was to keep the filter cooler.
I will probably swith out to a factory filter at the next oil change. Now, that I look back at it I should have stuck with the stock filter for a while. :-?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NAPA online responded to my question regarding the 1365 NAPA Gold oil filter. It is indeed the right filter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Napa filters are actually Wix of course (good filter IMO). I went to the wix website and they definitely list the 1365 (Wix 51365) for the STi and Forester as well as the 2.0 wrx here is the link http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartApplications.asp?Part=51365 I am curious whether the dimensions of this filter are the same as the new smaller filter Subaru started putting on the STi. I have some that I got from the dealer in the garage, I'll try to get some measurements later. Here is the link to the dimensions of the napa 1365 (wix 51365) http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51365

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The NAPA 1365 appears to be identical to the factory filter that came off.
It is a very small filter. My motorcycle uses a bigger filter!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts