IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you guys go for oil changes? I mean the lazy ones who don't want to deal with it themselves? I don't want to have to drain the oil, find a big enough container to capture it all, and then have to carry it in my car to properly dispose of it. What are some good cheap places that do oil changes?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I've found that it is worth carrying it or whatever just so you don't have monkeys working on your car and ruining it. I have had to replace an oil pan gasket and drain plug due to "oil techs" screwing up my car.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Most dealerships I go to will only charge around $10 if you bring your own oil and filter. I do this for both my Supra and Legacy. I have been doing it for years without any problems. Just stay away from the "quick lube" type places.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
All hand done here. It's just too easy to do. Grab a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 for $19 or whatever it is, order a case of filters from the dealer (NEVER USE FRAM FILTERS), and have a loving session with your car. It's just like washing the car....you don't do it just to get it clean, it's bonding time. Your car will love you for doing it with your own loving care. :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not that I do, but why not use Fram filters? And how do you get this thing up on ramps without scraping all that undercarriage trim?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Fram filters are noutorious in the automotive world for being the cheapest piece of $hit out there. Cut one apart sometime. They use a single layer of this cheap ass filter paper, nothing like an OEM filter. I'll always use OEM filters on cars unless in a crunch.

As for the ramps, don't use em. Just jack up the front end on jack stands. I'm running about 3 inches off the ground of the sides. I can barely get the floor jack under it, but she fits. Much easier. I've never trusted ramps. I always feel like I'm going to go over the end of em.

·
Registered
281 Posts
A couple of notes:

Just because you have your oil changed at a dealer, this does not mean they will do a good job. I had to stop going to my local Subaru dealer after they rounded off not one but *2* drain plugs doing routing oil changes. They then had the nerve to show me the plug and ask how it had happened. I told them that they were the only place had I ever had my oil changed and asked them to tell me how it had happened. They did not have an answer for that one. Since then I have changed my oil myself.

Also, OEM filters are often made by mainstream oil filter companies. To make things even more confusing, it might change from batch to batch. The OEM filters I have seen from Subaru have varied a lot in quality. If you want a good filter and can afford it, get an Amsoil or Mobile 1 filter. If you don't want to spend $10 on a filter, get a Bosch 3310 Premium Filter. It's about $5 at AutoZone and is a much better filter than OEM or most of the big guys. It uses a synthetic filter instead of paper and has a much thicker baseplate.

As for the ramps, I use (2) pieces of 2x6 lumber cut to about 18". I put them in front of the ramps. This gets me up high enough that my factory front spoiler has a good inch of clearance.

As always, this is just my $0.02.

·
Registered
575 Posts
update!!

I have been using the service of the grease monkey for 5 years and have never had any issues, but i guess it varies alot from place to place...

Filters ive used are mostly the mobil 1 and bosch filters.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i run full synthetic in all my cars, and it's just too expensive to have it done at those places... most around here charge $50 or more and only have one option, usually quaker state or something else i don't care for.
i also have to second what's been mentioned here about the guys working in shops. my experience has been that every shop has morons in it... it's just the dealerships will make it right whereas the little places won't.
also, i like to be able to see what's coming out of my engine. tell the guy at qlube to let you know what's stuck to the magnetic drain plug and watch the blank expression he gives you.
lastly, everyone says they don't have the time, but i can change my oil in less time than i'd spend waiting in line at the dealership or the quicklube...
all in all, it's cheaper, safer, and quicker to do it myself.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not that I don't have the time or that it's difficult...it's just messy. And I'm wary about having that oil sloshing around in my car messing up the interior.

I'll bring my car to a reputable place to have the oil changed. Other than that, I do what I can, like washing/waxing my car...

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I live in an apartment, which will be changing later this year, so I can't do the changes myself. I also only use Mobil 1 oil and filters. At the Toyota dealership I take my Supra to I go late at night, they are open till midnight, and am on a first name basis with most of the guys there at that time. I watch through a window as they do it and I trust them. My Legacy is different. Still I always go to the same places and like mentioned, if something is screwed up I will know who did it. For $10 though, it's not worth getting dirty and hasseling with it all. Where ever I decide to take my STi, I will make sure I know who is working on my car... maybe buy him lunch and then make sure everytime I go back only he works on it. That might be going too far, but I did read about a guy that does this with his vehicles. There is a good chance though, that when I move later this year into a house I will be doing most of the routine maintenance myself, but for now it's not worth it.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
digging up and old thread...

I just got an oil change and it feels as if the car has a little more power. Is this true? Feels as if my car runs a little bit smoother and has a little more "kick". I know I didn't gain HP, I just REgained it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts