IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wonder if dealers know how to do oil changes on the STI yet, u know, it's so new, and i'm approaching 3k miles

should i bring mobil 1 oil to them or use their non-synthetics?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Oil choice is up to you...many people are waiting for a few oil changes before going synth.

There isn't much to changing the oil on any car. The only confusion there could be is the correct oil filter......080 part number is correct.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just brought my STi to the local Subaru dealer for an oil change. They don;t even have the oil filters in stock. The tech told me there are currently no STi oil filters in the country! I found that very hard to believe. Has anyone else heard this? What if you are at the point where you NEED an oil change. Lucky for me, I am not yet near the 3,700 mark, so it wasn;t a huge deal. But...if I was at 3,700, I'd be a little concerned.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I have two extra oil filters in my garage, so if someone needs one deperately I could send it out. My dealer is stocking them. Northtown Subaru in Amherst NY or try Subaruparts.com they should have them also.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I had 2 oil changes now with the WRX filter (part # ending in 060) and have not had any issues.

Bigman, I would not wait for 3,700 before the first oil change. I think it is important to get the oil with possible metal particles in it from the initial wear out of the engine. That is up to you though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I looked on subaruparts.com. They don't seem to have the 080 part number. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Is everyone changing their oil after the first 1-1.5k?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Yes, change oil ASAP (between 750 - 1000 miles is best). I just did mine at 1016 miles, put in Valvoline 10W-40 with the '060 filter. It did come with the '080, but I see no reason why the smaller filter is better. I've always read larger filters = more area to trap particles = lower pressure drop across the mesh = better flow rate. Why would the STi come with the '080 and not the '060??? My next change will be to synthetic at 4k miles (Mobil 1, likely 5W-30 with the cooler fall temps in CT)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I currently have 1,200 miles on mine. Do you think I will cause any damage to it by not getting the oil changed ASAP? I can't get my hands on a new filter!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
finally....it's all done

ValvetrainEngineer said:
I've always read larger filters = more area to trap particles = lower pressure drop across the mesh = better flow rate.
The 080 has more filter area than the regular 060 WRX filter, despite the external size. It's in the service manual.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
bigman, subaruparts.com does have that filter if you type in the part number. I don't think you will cause any damage but I would still get it changed asap with either the 060 or 080 filter. The dealers I went to only had the 060 so that is what I got since I felt it was more important to get an oil change then wait for them to get their act together and get the correct filter. I had my oil changed at about 1200 and then again around 3200. I am close to 5k now and will be going to synthetic at 6k.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just had my oil changed at 500 miles. My buddy did it for me while he was giving the whole car a "once over." He told me he did the oil/filter change on a different car without removing the "bottom piece" and decided he prefers to remove the piece. If anyone lives near Costa Mesa, California I highly recommend Rally Sport Engineering! Not necessarily just for oil changes. Paul has lots of experience and expertise for the more serious stuff. He has been a rally mechanic for many years. He started out with Subaru in New Zealand and travelled the world with them. He's since worked for Mitsubishi and Hyundai and most recently did Rim of the World, and the Maine rally with Hyundai. I don't have any hard data. But, the cars seem to do better when he's working on them! :wink:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Silver/Silver in Idaho!

RDiamond said:
ValvetrainEngineer said:
I've always read larger filters = more area to trap particles = lower pressure drop across the mesh = better flow rate.
The 080 has more filter area than the regular 060 WRX filter, despite the external size. It's in the service manual.
I'm very skeptical until I see it for myself. Why produce a larger filter with less filtration area? If the '080 is better for the STi, then it's better for the WRX too. Then they should ditch the '060 part and save some internal cost. I've already dissected my '080, next I'll chop up the '060 to compare.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
FWIW guys....pic below taken after I changed my oil for the first time. Keep in mind this is from the factory in Japan....

New filter from Subie Gal on the left ("080") and well...you can see what came off the car on the right....

A few tips to doing your own....

- Take off the bottom shield. 4 plastic push bolts and 5 regular bolts...no big deal.

- Raise up your oil pan under both the drain plug and oil filter. I've NEVER seen oil splash out of a car like this before. It was like a wild river coming out of both. Seriously...my pan was 5 inches under the drain plug and it has a 10" opening...maybe 75% hit the opening! And hot oil, oh so much fun to try and funnel into the opening with your hands! ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
As for the hot oil, I wear a couple gloves to help with that. I have an insulated cloth glove for winter. Then I have a larger rubber glove that fits over the cloth one. This makes it much easier trying to catch the crush washer and drain plug.

Seems if I run my WRX for more than a couple miles before changing the oil, its just too hot to touch.

-Lance

1 - 20 of 34 Posts