IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased an STI back in September of 2011, I rarely drive the thing as it only have 900 miles currently. Since its only been about 6 months I wanted to do an oil change and was refused.

Was told that I should do the 7500 interval or wait 8 months. I am concerned for my oil being sat around in my block.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That is pure B.S. You should be able to change your oil when you want to and where you want to! your dealership is just pulling your leg man. I did mine at 1000 at my dealership

·
Registered
210 Posts
That's weird that they refused to do an oil change...it's not like your block was hit and towed into the shop lol you're legit paying for a service...that is, unless you paid for the maintenance program?...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just do it yourself.
+1. That way you can do it whenever you want! Do the initial post-break-in change. Then after that, vary it based on how hard you drive. If it's very light, synthetic can be good to 15k miles or up to a year. If you drive a bit harder than granny, I do 7-10k miles and 6-9 months.

In general, we over-oil our cars though. People doing synthetic every 3k miles on anything but a race engine are nutso.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Keep the receipts of your oil changes. If you insist then at least give them your own oil.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
+1. That way you can do it whenever you want! Do the initial post-break-in change. Then after that, vary it based on how hard you drive. If it's very light, synthetic can be good to 15k miles or up to a year. If you drive a bit harder than granny, I do 7-10k miles and 6-9 months.

In general, we over-oil our cars though. People doing synthetic every 3k miles on anything but a race engine are nutso.
Meh, I change mine every 3k-3.5k miles on my 09... then again it is an 09 with 19k miles on it... so I change it based a lot of times on times of the year. It is not good for oil to sit in changing climates, and my car sits a lot! I drive it maybe once a week if that. of the 19k miles on the car, 12k are from 4 trips across country (CO to VA and back). After every trip I changed the oil. Then the car would sit for months...

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you're going from hot to cool and back again, yeah it makes sense to change it more often to remove moisture from the engine. If you're driving it regularly and STILL changing synthetic at 3-3.5k, you're just wasting money. But yeah, if you're letting it sit for that long of time, probably good to change it before firing it back up. Unless it's garaged and stays relatively at the same time. Then just fire it up and let the engine heat burn off contaminants.

·
Registered
372 Posts
change oil yourself....+ 1000!!! nobody touches my car! shame on that dealership "I cant have my oil changed"?, You would be foolish to ever go back to them, grab some friends, buy some oil/filter/ funnel/ few wrenches and bond with your car, its a good feeling knowing you got it done right!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I change my oil every 3 months or 3000 miles. Peace of mind is
the most important concern. Find yourself another dealer for any
work required![ warranty] Regular maintance ask your friends and
see who they trust and KEEP RECEIPTS.

Live Long and Prosper

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
If it's very light, synthetic can be good to 15k miles or up to a year. If you drive a bit harder than granny, I do 7-10k miles and 6-9 months.

This car destroys oil. No one should listen to this, don't do 15k mile oil changes. Don't even do 10k oil changes. I don't even know how subaru is allowing 7500 oil changes when very stout oils barely hold up that far in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Perhaps these motors are different, but it isnt uncommon at all to see 10-15k change intervals on new cars. Best thing to do is get your oil analyzed. If you arent doing that, you really have no idea how its holding up. Color is no indication.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have purchased an STI back in September of 2011, I rarely drive the thing as it only have 900 miles currently. Since its only been about 6 months I wanted to do an oil change and was refused.

Was told that I should do the 7500 interval or wait 8 months. I am concerned for my oil being sat around in my block.
It is fine to leave oil in an engine for even up to one year and I believe SoA's guideline's are 7.5 months or 7,500 miles. Unless you're switching to Red Line, the factory fill oil has more moly, zinc and phosphorus than something you'll probably switch to.

Then after that, vary it based on how hard you drive. If it's very light, synthetic can be good to 15k miles or up to a year. If you drive a bit harder than granny, I do 7-10k miles and 6-9 months.
If you look around at some of the extended drain uoa's, you'll see that even most very good oils shouldn't be used much past 7,500 miles. And if you're interested in extending past 7,500 miles, you'll need to spend more than $30 on a uoa and you're own your own if you run into engine problems.

-Dennis

·
Registered
757 Posts
The factory fill does NOT HAVE any special moly or zinc additive. It's just a standard Subaru synthetic oil (as per the LONG naisoc thread, it may be a mitsu oil I have to re read the thread). But no the factory fill it not a special break on oil.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The factory fill does NOT HAVE any special moly or zinc additive. It's just a standard Subaru synthetic oil (as per the LONG naisoc thread, it may be a mitsu oil I have to re read the thread). But no the factory fill it not a special break on oil.
That was when the factory fill was conventional oil. I have an email from Idemitsu that confirms the additional moly in the factory oil. A factory fill has moly from the assembly lube anyway, but there is additional moly for break-in in the Idemitsu factory fill. A uoa will also show higher than GF-5 levels of zinc and phosphorus.

Here's the email, although he did not go any further than saying that moly is used for mpg's. This was in response to a question about the 0W-20, but they are most likely the same formulations with a different viscosity.

You ask some very good questions which I will answer in “generalities”. First, just so you know where the information is coming from, Idemitsu supplies most of the OEM’s for both Factory fill and service fill. ...

OEMs specify Moly in their factory fill formulations to increase fuel economy during the initial period. In general a factory fill formula will be more robust in the additive treatments etc. This is done for a variety of reasons which I will not go into here.

Some of the service fill formulations also contained molybdenum however, with the transition to the ILSAC GF-5 specification, most 0W-20 service fill 0W-20 formulations now do not have Moly. That being said, you are always safest following the OEMs recommendations. All service fill OE formulas that we supply have been submitted to a full battery of tests at that respective OEM’s R&D facilities in Japan and have been approved.
-Dennis

·
Registered
148 Posts
It is fine to leave oil in an engine for even up to one year and I believe SoA's guideline's are 7.5 months or 7,500 miles. Unless you're switching to Red Line, the factory fill oil has more moly, zinc and phosphorus than something you'll probably switch to.

If you look around at some of the extended drain uoa's, you'll see that even most very good oils shouldn't be used much past 7,500 miles. And if you're interested in extending past 7,500 miles, you'll need to spend more than $30 on a uoa and you're own your own if you run into engine problems.

-Dennis
Porsche - 20k intervals, BMW - 10k-15k intervals, Mercedes - 10-15k intervals, Toyota - 10k intervals, Audi - 10k intervals, Ford - 7.5-10k intervals.

Again, I'm not saying that there isn't perhaps some merit to changing the oil in these motors more often, but without actually sending the oil off for analysis to a place like black-stone labs, you won't really know how much your oil has broken down, or the metal content. Once my 12' arrives, I'll be happy to send my oil off for the benefit of the group to see how it holds up past 7500 miles. I'll also include general driving habits and frequency of driving hard.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Porsche - 20k intervals, BMW - 10k-15k intervals, Mercedes - 10-15k intervals, Toyota - 10k intervals, Audi - 10k intervals, Ford - 7.5-10k intervals.

Again, I'm not saying that there isn't perhaps some merit to changing the oil in these motors more often, but without actually sending the oil off for analysis to a place like black-stone labs, you won't really know how much your oil has broken down, or the metal content. Once my 12' arrives, I'll be happy to send my oil off for the benefit of the group to see how it holds up past 7500 miles. I'll also include general driving habits and frequency of driving hard.
Porsche, Audi, BMW, and Ford also have their own oil spec and Subaru does not. Porsche, Audi, and BMW do not allow the use of Energy/Resource Conserving oils in their engines so it's not a direct comparison. I also would not compare a Ford or Toyota to a 300+ hp. turbocharged four cylinder. The performance Fords also have different oil viscosity requirements. I do perform uoa's and there are a lot of them posted in this forum. I also have an Audi uoa where Syntec 5W-40 was trashed in 5,000 miles.

UOA thread .

gathermewool's uoa.

It's rare to find a Subaru owner pushing intervals beyond 7,500 miles. I did twice and blew a turbo and I highly doubt I'll ever use an oil with lower than 3.5 HTHS again. Then there's the Legacy GT owner at nasioc that ran Amsoil for 25k miles and was shocked when Amsoil or SoA wouldn't honor his warranty when his engine blew.

But this thread is about initial oil changes! :wave: As is the requirement in oil threads, I think we've covered at least three or more different topics. :)

-Dennis

·
Registered
3,713 Posts

Yeah, we know this, this car is different though is what we're trying to tell you. I was surprised to see this myself as my car has a 3750 OCI. I'm not saying other cars can't go 10k-15k on a good synthetic. I'm saying our cars cant because they absolutely destroy oil.

Frankly it's cheaper to just change oil, and less concern about warranty issues versus having it analyzed for extended drain intervals.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts