IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Im new to this site obviously and I hate for my first post to be on such a negative topic but it is however. I recently purchased a 2005 STI and installed a slow boy racing 20g turbo.(SBR20) Everything was running and working fine for about 7,000miles, now Im having all kinds of oil blow-by that is getting past the turbo and in to my intercooler piping and through the wholw system right out through my exhaust, which is causing my car to burn oil. Now the car does have a Perrin catch can installed but it doesnt seem to be catching any of the oil that is being released into the intercooler piping. Now when I say oil I mean so much oil in the intercooler piping etc...that it looks like the oil was dumped in there. So basically I called slow boy racing and asked one of there techs if it could be bad seals in the turbo? He said that he didnt think so and that he thought it could be to much crankcase pressure causing the problem? So...what do you guys think? Turbo or possibly to much oil crank case pressure, and how can I fix this problem? Thanks everyone!!!!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm the wrong person to even try to tell you whats up, but try posting in the Engine, Power, and Performance section of the forum. I'm sure you'll get a lot more help than here in General. Hope that helps

·
IWSTI Club Level 11ty
5,687 Posts
foam, and or some sort of metal 'filiment' should be in your catch can. to my knowledge, the oil 'blowby' is a fine vapor that may not get caught in a can. there needs to me some type of 'sponge' type material to help catch it. also, you need both the PCV (crank case) and valve cover breathers vented to catch canS. a dual catch can setup is the way to go. hope this helps.

Search for Freddie's dual catch can plumbing system. Top notch.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Run bigger lines to your catch can. Think real big. The perrin cans are known to come with really skinny lines. I had a greddy can and it caught no oil after thousands of miles. So then I switched to a new setup, 5/8" lines off the cylinder head breathers and pcv valve, straight to a can that's vented to atmosphere. After 1000 miles it's burned almost no oil at all and there's a dribble of oil in the bottom of the can. There's zero chance of the engine sucking oil in via the intake, and no oil smell from inside the cabin.

I'd also check to make sure that you don't have a kink in the oil return line off the bottom of the turbo.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
jays05 said:
Run bigger lines to your catch can. Think real big. The perrin cans are known to come with really skinny lines. I had a greddy can and it caught no oil after thousands of miles. So then I switched to a new setup, 5/8" lines off the cylinder head breathers and pcv valve, straight to a can that's vented to atmosphere. After 1000 miles it's burned almost no oil at all and there's a dribble of oil in the bottom of the can. There's zero chance of the engine sucking oil in via the intake, and no oil smell from inside the cabin.

I'd also check to make sure that you don't have a kink in the oil return line off the bottom of the turbo.
Having had severe problems with the Perrin catch-can lines, I agree with everything you say.

Just one note of caution: if your engine ever lets go and the crankcase is totally VTA, you can have an engine fire unless you have a hose coming off the catch-can that dumps directly to the ground, away from the turbo, dp and hot exhaust. With sudden, massive blow-by that catch-can vent can spew oil all over the engine compartment like a fountain - be safe and drop a big line down. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts