IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally a 6th gear doing what it should...providing fuel economy!

i hated driving at 80 and being close to 4k RPM in my S4...it always made me wonder why it had 6 speeds.

my daily driver (91 Maxima) clicks off at just about 3k RPM at 80mph, and it's only a 5 speed.

·
Registered
282 Posts
cool, double din dvd/cd/tuner unit

You should try driving a Camaro, Viper, or Corvette. They all use the same T-56 gear box (albeit with slightly different ratios). In my Camaro, 6th at 60 mph was under 2000 rpm. Basically 6th gear was utterly useless except for gas mileage. I think the theoretical top speed in 6th was like 330 mph :)

It is nice having a useable 6th gear.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, with a huge gas hog of a motor they need to have a tranny that keeps the revs down on the highway. But I also really love that the STi has a tall 6th gear. I do a lot of highway driving and road trips so it's good to have a tranny that lets the engine relax a little while cruising. My MR2, RSX Type-S, and RX-8 were all much closer to 4k rpm than 3k on the highway. It always bugged me. Thank you, STi!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yeah, 6th is great on the freeway - but I still find myself reaching for the stick to shift it into 7th :) It's really easy to drive along and the engine is humming pretty slow - then you look at the speedo and you're passing 90mph.

The other thing that surprised me was how much time I spend driving around on city streets in 5th gear (40 or 45 mph speed limits).

·
Registered
382 Posts
HarlanPepper said:
Yeah, 6th is great on the freeway - but I still find myself reaching for the stick to shift it into 7th :) It's really easy to drive along and the engine is humming pretty slow - then you look at the speedo and you're passing 90mph.

The other thing that surprised me was how much time I spend driving around on city streets in 5th gear (40 or 45 mph speed limits).
I keep trying to do that. I used to always downshift to pass, so it is instinct to upshift, perhaps I should get the new Bugatti. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts