IW STi Forum banner

3861 - 3880 of 3886 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Should of took your chance to slay a stang... should of been ahead of him before he started fishtailing..

Lol jk you probably made the right choice

·
Registered
87 Posts
Should of took your chance to slay a stang... should of been ahead of him before he started fishtailing..

Lol jk you probably made the right choice
I have a basically stock car, he had at least something done to his exhaust and some non oe hood with a paint job and bling bling rims. he might or might not have spent money on the engine. at 70 somthing tells me he would have walked me up to his fishtail.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just got my STI a couple days ago... met some guys on the freeway in a camaro and a JCW mini... camaro didn't want to go but the mini did. Boy was he quick, but i had him by 4th gear. Any tips on taking off from a roll quicker at around 45?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
How exactly do I do that? I've only heard of people doing it on supras.
Lightly apply the brakes while staying on the throttle such that you can maintain the rpm and proper speed for the roll race while allowing a few psi of boost to build and hold. Once it's time to go, go WOT and release the brakes. It's essentially launching from a roll, but be aware that you COULD blow out some hoses if they're not secure enough.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Funny this thread is talking about mustangs and wet. I had one want to play tonight (scattered showers) I had a few drops hitting my windshield. at 70, he went and I stayed. A second later we were into a healthy rain cloud where he started fishtailing 2 or 3 cars ahead of me. I am really glad I wasn't beside him when he started that.

All that being said, if he would have ended in a ditch (pretty stang glad he didnt) would that make me a winner even if I didnt go?
And there is a perfect example why I won't let a mustang race me on the street if at all possible, they are just too prone to getting loose and fishtailing all over the place. Has to be just about perfect conditions for them to get traction at wot. Especially a 2011 and up GT.

·
Registered
87 Posts
And there is a perfect example why I won't let a mustang race me on the street if at all possible, they are just too prone to getting loose and fishtailing all over the place. Has to be just about perfect conditions for them to get traction at wot. Especially a 2011 and up GT.

Wouldent you be out of his way if you did it from a stop?

In my case, he had some help. it was dark and couldent see the rain ahead, I was expecting scattered clouds so I didnt want to even try... well I wanted to try but smart enough not to.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Wouldent you be out of his way if you did it from a stop?

In my case, he had some help. it was dark and couldent see the rain ahead, I was expecting scattered clouds so I didnt want to even try... well I wanted to try but smart enough not to.
I did race a modded 2004ish' 4.6 stang from 20 MPH roll, and I was still in first when I punched it shifted to 2nd at 6500 RPM and chirped the front tires LOL... I kept 3 car lengths on him for an approx 1/4 mile other shift points were 6500 RPM also. It appeared he had lost traction in the first 2 gears he was in because it looked like a lot of tire smoke behind him when I looked in my rear view, and his car was SCA-REEEEMING....as he ripped through gears, I think I really surprised him. If he had started fishtailing, yes I was way in front of him so no worries, but I also think about the safety of the person I am racing if they are to loose control and hurt themselves. So I generally do NOT street race, I wave off 99%.

It was a divided highway with 2 lanes on each side, and no other cars and a very well lit, long 1+ mile straight away and a warm quiet summer night and he just pulled right up next to me at a red light. He also had a huge aftermarket cowl induction hood my car was completely stock at the time no tune and no catback all factory original. Now I have a 93 octane cobb tune and a tanabe catback and perrin turbo inlet. I'd beat that same car even worse now if we ever met again assuming he wasnt sporting slicks and more serious built motor by now LOL.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It seems I can't commute to-and-from work without someone trying to come up and race. I haven't even tried to pull on anyone (I'm still in break-in among other reasons) but it seems everyday someone pulls up trying to get me to bite. Its only been seven days and so far these vehicles have tried to mess with me in the Denver metro:

-- Crappy 1990s GMC pickup on 20s (Mad FAST, yo)
-- 1999 Trans Am (fly-by)
-- 2010 Scion tC (fly-by)
-- BMW M6
-- 1999 Civic Si
-- 2013 Mustang GT

I know everyone says the STi attracts attention, but danggg! :rofl:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Funny this thread is talking about mustangs and wet. I had one want to play tonight (scattered showers) I had a few drops hitting my windshield. at 70, he went and I stayed. A second later we were into a healthy rain cloud where he started fishtailing 2 or 3 cars ahead of me. I am really glad I wasn't beside him when he started that.

All that being said, if he would have ended in a ditch (pretty stang glad he didnt) would that make me a winner even if I didnt go?
This is why I carry my recovery strap in the trunk :D Might make my year if I got to pull a 'stang out of a ditch. Definitely not a car I would own in Colorado whatsoever. Fun watching them in all-seasons or worse in 6" of snow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is why I carry my recovery strap in the trunk :D Might make my year if I got to pull a 'stang out of a ditch. Definitely not a car I would own in Colorado whatsoever. Fun watching them in all-seasons or worse in 6" of snow.
Come out to my part of NC... you can get away with summer tires for 360 days out of the year most of the time.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Just ran an SRT8 Challenger (not a Hellcat) from about 40 (or so, I wasn't really looking) on the highway. We slowed down, he honked thrice, and I pulled about a fender in 4th gear immediately, then as soon as I hit 5th he started pulling me. When we shut down, he had about half a car on me and was still pulling. Not bad considering I'm at 300whp/350wtq and a stock SRT puts down between 390-430whp/420-460wtq (depending on dyno/fuel/location/etc.), lol.

Power/weight ratio FTW

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I wish I had asked the wife to video, because I would've loved to have this one recorded.

The wife and I were coming back home from a meeting, just cruising at 65mph on an awesomely smooth and straight stretch of highway. Enter this bro in his Evo X. He had the blonde surfer dude hair and everything. He came from behind me and did a ricer flyby. I could hear he at least had exhaust, so I figured he must be modded and is probably faster than me. I make it a point not to race people who I'm pretty sure I'll lose to, therefore I have no reason to want to chase after him. But to my surprise, he slows down to let me catch up to him. I can now see his carbon fiber hood as well. At this point I'm thinking built engine and big turbo and such, lol. I hear him drop a gear...I think about it for a few seconds, and then I go ahead and drop a gear. What's life without chance, right?

His girlfriend is laughing in the passenger seat as he honks thrice. He decides to punch it in between the 2nd and 3rd honk, pulling about a fender before I hit it. Then, bus lengths...it was like he wasn't even trying. I started in 4th gear, and by the time I hit 5th I was a good 3-4 cars in front of him. He gave up shortly after. I slowed down and we waved and gave thumbs up, his girlfriend no longer laughing.

My guess is he was probably stock with a catback, and he knew he was screwed the moment he heard my EWG open up, lol. Good times.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
^^^Impressive! I think the X is probably less scary than an VIII or IX because many of those seem to be be making decent to crazy power.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I wish I had asked the wife to video, because I would've loved to have this one recorded.

The wife and I were coming back home from a meeting, just cruising at 65mph on an awesomely smooth and straight stretch of highway. Enter this bro in his Evo X. He had the blonde surfer dude hair and everything. He came from behind me and did a ricer flyby. I could hear he at least had exhaust, so I figured he must be modded and is probably faster than me. I make it a point not to race people who I'm pretty sure I'll lose to, therefore I have no reason to want to chase after him. But to my surprise, he slows down to let me catch up to him. I can now see his carbon fiber hood as well. At this point I'm thinking built engine and big turbo and such, lol. I hear him drop a gear...I think about it for a few seconds, and then I go ahead and drop a gear. What's life without chance, right?

His girlfriend is laughing in the passenger seat as he honks thrice. He decides to punch it in between the 2nd and 3rd honk, pulling about a fender before I hit it. Then, bus lengths...it was like he wasn't even trying. I started in 4th gear, and by the time I hit 5th I was a good 3-4 cars in front of him. He gave up shortly after. I slowed down and we waved and gave thumbs up, his girlfriend no longer laughing.

My guess is he was probably stock with a catback, and he knew he was screwed the moment he heard my EWG open up, lol. Good times.
Nice run!

In most cases I've found the rivalry to be friendly on the street.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm down on long island for the weekend. Easy access to e85. I'll let you knowif anyone on the east end wants to try. I'll be at captree cars and coffee tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3861 - 3880 of 3886 Posts