IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the event that the STi is announced at the Rim Of The World Rally, I have put a plan together that should hopefully make people here one of the first to know. (at least that's the plan)

zerepjd (Jared) has been kind enough to attend the rally (THANKS!!) :) :), and take some pictures for us wether they be of the STi or just the rally should the STi not be announced. I have provided him with a password and username for the website so he can dump any photos he may have.

I've also got WhiteRex from I-Club, a friend from California that will be taking some pics also. :)

Watch this thread for news and information on the Rally....

Hopefully there *WILL* be some news. :D

JJ

·
Registered
208 Posts
JJ, I was wondering how long it will take between an announcement and a post? You say that you want to be the first, what kinda time frame should we expect? Also is there any idea of the "hinted at announcement's" delivery time? :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
If it's going to happen, chances are it will be Saturday morning.

http://www.rimoftheworldrally.com/schedule.htm

"SATURDAY, May 4, 2002
7:00AM - 9:30AM Racer's breakfast at the Holiday Inn.
9:00AM - 12:00PM CHARITY RALLYSPRINT and re-start activities at the Holiday Inn. Ride in a rally car for a $20 donation! Proceeds will benefit the South Antelope Valley Emergency Services (SAVES) food pantry and the Healthy Start program in Palmdale schools! Subaru Owners' Event continues. Parc Expose with cars on display - meet the drivers, navigators, and crews! Manufacturers Subaru, Hyundai and Mitsubishi present new vehicles, rally game displays, and autograph sessions with team drivers. Refreshments, Rim / R&E Racing T-shirts on sale.
"

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Ride in a rally car for a $20 donation

Now that's what I would be in to. I have never been to a WRC rally or, for that matter ANY rally! I am planning on going to my first one this August here in Germany. It will be the first time WRC is coming to Germany. coolest thing is, it begins and ends in Trier which is 20 mins away from me...and the party will be even closer to me than that city...talk about fun!!!!! Maybe I can get in with some of the drivers...:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tomorrow everything will be clear. :D PLEASE debut the sti....

I'm still stoked that I found a dealer that wants to help get me into a sti. I was treated great and wasn't mislead.....Beautiful thing indeed.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JJ, I was wondering how long it will take between an announcement and a post? You say that you want to be the
first, what kinda time frame should we expect? Also is there any idea of the "hinted at announcement's" delivery
time?
The time between the announcement and that it ends up here hopefully will be very short. I need all of your help though, as I will be at a Autocross, and will only have my pager on me.

So if ANY OF YOU hear any info, and can get on the board really quick, please post it ASAP. :)

Things to watch:

http://www.prnewswire.com
http://www.subaruevents.com
http://www.subaru.com
http://www.rimoftheworldrally.com
http://www.i-club.com (since they seem to have insiders with SOA)

So please help me out on this. When I get home from autox'ing on Saturday night, I expect to see some info here. J/K :) :D

But please help me out and all of us out with this...

JJ

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since there is no news, no press-release, pretty much nothing I would have to say that the STi was NOT announced. :( Oh well, we know it's coming, so we will just have to be patient and wait...

JJ
:oops: :( :x

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey Guy's,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you all. As I'm sure you've heard they didn't release the U.S. STi. Though I did talk to a member of the Subaru U.S. rally team, and he said that it will be coming, Though not this year. Definately next year, but he wouldn't commit as to what quarter. I did get to sit in the Evo VII though. Nice car. Though the interior is spartan compared to the WRX. Everything was very usable and within easy reach. Have plenty of pictures if I can fix the Computer problem I'm having. Though for being my first rally it was fun. I got to meet Peter Solberg, and Rhys Mullen. All and all it was great. I'll get you the pics as soon as I can though. Sorry about the difficulty.

Jared

·
Registered
208 Posts
So what was the hype for? Was anything announced? Any future plans, any new options, any news about 2003+ WRX? Or was it all a ploy to get more people to show up for the rally?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I've been lurking here for a while, anxiously awaiting news and finally had some info to add. I was at my local Subaru dealership yesterday as my girlfriend was buying a new Mazda (Tried to talk her into the WRX but no luck...) anyway, got into a short discussion with one of the salesmen and a customer who had taken his wrx to the ROTW rally and spent some time with some reps and picked up this tidbit.

Apparently, Mitsubishi needs a special cat piece to make the EVO 50 state legal and would need to purchase them from Subaru as they don't have that piece developed themselves yet. This, according to the guy I was talking to, is the reason that Mitsubishi has been stalling a bit, and Subaru is waiting to see how things play out.

Personally, if this is true, I'm torn as to what Subaru should do...don't sell the part to Mitsubishi, bring the STi soon and make us all happy, or sell the part to Mitsubishi, have them add a tuned by Sti sticker :wink: , and of course bring the STi over here and make us all happy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not sure why they would need to go to Subaru myself, but the person who attended the rally said he heard it directly from the reps that were there. Of course this probably means he overheard somebody, telling somebody else, what they heard someone else say. But thought I'd pass it along anyways.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Well both Fuji Hvy and Mitsu are LARGE corporations that deal WAAAAAYY more into things other than cars, so I would imagine that Mitsu would have ALL parts, especially since the news media has already stated the Evo is coming sometime next year...hmmm, I think if Mitsu makes a claim like that is not finished would be stupid!

I don't buy it.

Nothing against you seattime...just sounds a little fishy and you know how dealers can be, but HEY you never know since most of us are clueless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was under the impression that the EVOs were already coming. In other words they were announced, have been ordered, dealers are selling and taking deposits, whatever. Why would they sell or bring something to the states if it wasn't state legal? Uhhhhh No. :roll: Secondly, if that was the case, why would subaru be the middleman and supply them with the part losing substantial numbers to their #1 competitor ,especially when the lancer will be here first. Personally Subaru would have to raise the middle finger and corner the market. When someone tries to take a peace of your chedder, you shut em down :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The dealer wasn't telling me this news, rather it was a former customer who had attended the rally and spoken to people at the event. I agree that it sounds strange, but things it seems like Mitsu and Subaru are playing games waiting for the other to announce specific pricing, release dates, etc. and this was offered up as a possible explanation.

The basic gist from this guy was that the reps said Subaru would give the finger to Mitsu regarding the cat back system, but at the same time that takes removes pressure to release the STi in order to compete with the EVO.

Has anybody heard a firm date for the EVO's arrival and pricing, as I would obviously like to see the competition heat up so we can get the Subie sooner.

Classify this as a rumor, take it with a very large grain of salt, I agree it seems fishy but it wouldn't be the first time a car company announced they were selling something that experienced delays, came later than expected or never at all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
PocketPC 2002 STi Theme

LOL... what a bunch of BS

If anything it would be the other way around, Mitsubishi supplying Subaru (turbo anyone? wink, wink :wink: )

·
Registered
130 Posts
How long has each company had a substantial volume of cars for sale here? (not including all the vehicles with engines supposedly by Missbitchi)

Has Mb been selling NA-market turbos for a while?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts