IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where (if) can you buy quarts of the OEM fluid used for the transmission?? I heard somebody say that you can buy K0323AA093 -- ~9.30 per/quart?!?!?!? I can't find anything but the 20liter bucket.

I can not belive that this fluid does not exist in quarts. That is crazy. <!-- / message -->

·
3,274 Posts
Just get some Valvoline 75w90 from Autozone, etc and be done with it. Same thing (or at least close enough.)

I had to get 80w90 since the 4 stores I went to didn't have 75w90. For my area it will still perform just fine. Check your owner's manual to look at temp ranges. Michigan might need 75w90, not sure.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you guys go synthetic?? Is the OEM fluid synthetic or is that still unknown? I heard a few guys saying that they think it is but nobody seems to be really sure.

·
3,274 Posts
From what I've read the OEM fluid is non-synthetic. Some people seem to suspect that it's just Valvoline.

A few people who have used synthetic gear oil reported some grinding/issues with the synchros that went away when they went back to non-synthetic. I decided to play it safe and went with non-synthetic. So far so good with my tranny. It's only been 4k miles since I did the swap but it's been smooth sailing so far.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I find it hard to pay $90 for the Motul 300, which is synthetic, vs the $40 at autozone for the valvoline. Tx for your comments.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
My car is getting close to a fluid change. I really don't want to have to buy a massive bucket-oh-fluid... maybe I'll give the Valvoline a shot. I won't be doing any endurance racing so it should hold up.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Before we get into a "synthetic vs. dino" debate, please search. That has been done to death. As far as quarts of the OEM fluid, I am not aware of any. Call your dealer to see what they use if you really want to stay "OEM".

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
klaymon said:
Before we get into a "synthetic vs. dino" debate, please search. That has been done to death. As far as quarts of the OEM fluid, I am not aware of any. Call your dealer to see what they use if you really want to stay "OEM".
While this has definitely been discussed to death, I've read many of those discussions and it does not seem that anybody has been able to come to any sort of conclusion.

The only thing that seems clear to me is that Subaru Extra-S won't cause any transmission issues. The problem is that you have to order the stuff by the bucket.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Mykl said:
While this has definitely been discussed to death, I've read many of those discussions and it does not seem that anybody has been able to come to any sort of conclusion.

The only thing that seems clear to me is that Subaru Extra-S won't cause any transmission issues. The problem is that you have to order the stuff by the bucket.
Exactly. The jury is out and will be out for as long as we own these cars. There's no point reliving it here. In the mean time, you cannot go wrong with OEM specified fluids.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
klaymon said:
Exactly. The jury is out and will be out for as long as we own these cars. There's no point reliving it here. In the mean time, you cannot go wrong with OEM specified fluids.
Yeah, but man... it would be nice if the jury would decide on a fluid that I didn't have to special order in bulk.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Like said above, Valvoline 75w90 is the readily available, comparable fluid to OEM. You cannot go wrong with it. It's what my dealership uses (if I went to them).

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I think I'll give that a try and cross my fingers. The reason I'm a bit cautious is because I don't want to put this stuff in my car, then pay for a track day and get 15 minutes into it discovering that I have a crunchy gearbox.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put the valvoline stuff and it cost me 6 bucks a quart (about). The tranny feels the same and believe me, if tranny fluid made that a big difference in transsmisions you would know it by now. I don't think putting any GL-5 fluid in the car will kill your car. It might last a bit longer with better fluid but that might end up being 5,000 extra miles when your car is 100000k old.

I was concerned about it a lot too but in the end you have to understand that instead of testing fluids and wasting money they just say "use subaru fluid only".

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
triple_s1x said:
Last weekend I made the switch over to Motul, and so far put a few 100 miles on the car and shifting is smoother. This weekend i'm doing a lapping day, so that will be the real test.
:cool:

Please report back!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts