IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently installed a set of 5.25 quarts components in the front and 5.25 bostons in the back, along with an alpine head and an eclipse 75x4 amp. The sound is OK... very clear, but just not as full as I wish. I guess I should have gone with 6.5 in the fronts, but the deal I got was pretty good.

So, for a fuller sound, I am thinking about getting the OEM sub that fits under the passenger seat. 1) because it is self amped...and 2) because it is relatively light weight.

Do you guys know if it will hook up with my alpine head without a problem? Before you guys say that it is crap etc...has anyone actually heard it? I am not a huge audiophile, I just enjoy good, clean, full sound.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
hp12c said:
I've recently installed a set of 5.25 quarts components in the front and 5.25 bostons in the back, along with an alpine head and an eclipse 75x4 amp. The sound is OK... very clear, but just not as full as I wish. I guess I should have gone with 6.5 in the fronts, but the deal I got was pretty good.

So, for a fuller sound, I am thinking about getting the OEM sub that fits under the passenger seat. 1) because it is self amped...and 2) because it is relatively light weight.

Do you guys know if it will hook up with my alpine head without a problem? Before you guys say that it is crap etc...has anyone actually heard it? I am not a huge audiophile, I just enjoy good, clean, full sound.

Thanks
My friend has it on his WRX and I thought it was decent (I'm no audiophile either). I also want to go with the under the seat sub so I was looking at this Kenwood, check it out:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-N7NQJ4IpcGX/ProdView.asp?a=&s=0&cc=01&g=51000&id=features_and_specs&i=113WA62RC

Looks like a nice solution for people like us. I found it for a ton cheaper (as usual) than crutchfield. I plan to pick it up when I have some more disposable income : )

-st

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Singletrack,

Thanks for the response.

The Kenwood you pointed out seems pretty nice...I'll need to look into that a bit.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I had the sub in '02 wagon and thought it was slightly better than not having a sub at all. I get better bass out of my CDT components.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
WhiteGoldSTILA said:
I just got the Kenwood sub installed. The sound is ok. Not too bad and not that great. If you are looking for havery bass. Then don't go for it.
Where was it installed - under seat? Did you make/have someone make custom brackets for it?

-st

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
The stock sub is good for the stock radio, like I had in my old Legacy. With those quarts and bostons I think the stock sub would be a waste. You would probably get fuller sound giving those speakers more watts than going with the stock sub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts