IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is what I ended up with:

After installing my hands-free cell kit I was looking for place to "ditch" the speaker. In my 02' WRX wagon I just screwed it into the carpet just in front of the seat. This was bad, I could hear every thing just fine but I thought I would try something different.

After spending some time looking for various places I stuck the speaker in the oddments tray. The speaker was much louder and could be heard with the window rolled down. So I drove around for a couple of days with it sitting in the tray.

[The bit of blue sticking out underneath the speaker is some masking tape.]

I am sorry that there are not more pictures of the process. When I started I wasn't sure what I was going to end up with so I didn't bother with pictures. This is the first piece of it's type that I have ever made. I did a bit of looking around for more info but didn't fine much about the process so I just winged it.

I started by making a paper board template of the tray opening.. Then transferred that to 1/4" balsa. I wasn't sure of the thickness so I just went with something that I could "take down" if I needed to. Then I built a guide for the slope of the tray -- this was simply another piece of balsa that was cut and sanded to fit inside the tray along the wall with a curve that matched the slope of the outside edge of the tray. (I made one for each side.)

By making a few partial cuts to the back of the balsa cover I was able to "bend" the shape to match the slope. I "back filled" the seams with bondo. This didn't prove to be as strong as it needed to be, so I glued the cuts with wood glue.

After taking the speaker apart I figured the easiest thing to do was build the existing grill into the cover, as the existing grill had all that was needed to secure the speaker in place. I did this by cutting a hole in the cover just smaller then the grill and sanding down to fit. I then used construction adhesive to "weld" the two pieces together. (Great stuff, very strong but it takes forever to dry.) I then "back filled" the front with bondo to make a clean transition between the two and covered with black grill cloth.

It isn't perfect, but I was pretty impressed with myself for my first attempt.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
is "oddments" the official name? :D so i think you're saying you put hour hand-free speaker in that tray and covered it with a hand-made grill. that is a *very* cool idea. hopefully you can post a better/closer pic of the grill.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4MLA1FN said:
is "oddments" the official name?.
I didn't check the manual for their official name. I first heard it called this in a SLK manual. So I just kept with it. I will try to grab a better photo this evening while there is still light.

BHODGES3 said:
You must spend a LOT of time on your phone and/or the laws in Idaho concerning cell use in cars are uber-strict.
Na, I just like the idea of keeping both hands on the wheel or available for the wheel or the shifter. :) I wanted to try my hand at fabricating some custom dash piece and it seemed like a good way to keep a clean look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts