IW STi Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone!

I wanted to share my experience buying the OBX Performance Axle Back Exhaust from that sketchy eBay site. I swapped the stock axle back for this and I am already extremely pleased with the result: subtle yet aggressive.

The Exhaust - fresh out of the box!

Product link: OBX Performance Axle Back Exhaust Fit Impreza WRX STi 2.5L GR Series

Quality:
The welds are very clean and the stainless is very well polished. The exhaust tips have a slight flare which adds that extra cosmetic touch.

Installation:
Much easier than the stock removal (had to cut off one of the completely rusted bolts). A little tip for getting the exhaust hangers back on: coconut oil. It smells good and is natural (yay hippie stuff :cool:). The fitment was a bit off (left lower than right) so I used the hose clamp method to adjust it about 0.5 inches. It sits about 1 inch from the bumper now, real clean!

Sound:
Fantastic! I wanted an exhaust that wasn't too loud or drone-y during trips. Honestly it's just barely louder than stock at idle. Driving with windows up gives a nice note but not annoying at all. I took about a 15 minute drive and I couldn't even hear it over the normal road noise/snow tires. However, when you need to get places, it definitely gets loud enough to hear in the car. Under average acceleration, you can hear it from about 2k-3.5k RPM then it tapers off. (Cold start and warm start videos below)

Overall I am very please with the result. Please let me know if you have questions or want more videos/pics!

Cold Start: OBX Performance Axle Back Exhaust 08-14 Subaru WRX STI Hatch - Cold Start - YouTube
Warmed Up: OBX Performance Axle Back Exhaust 08-14 Subaru WRX STI Hatch - Warmed Up - YouTube

-Cory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should probably share my mods:
COBB Accessport v3 - Stage 2 OTS Map
Rev9Power Catted Downpipe
Stock Midpipe (with resonator)
OBX Performance Axle Back
Drop-in K&N air filter
Intake silencer delete

I plan on having the car tuned for high-elevation in the coming weeks, I'll share my numbers once i get them! I will also have the 2015 STI steering rack installed at the same time (with bushings/brace) due to my very slow, yet annoying leak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts