IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever since I put my H-Brace on, I have had a "rack!" sound when contacting irregularities like concrete seams, especially on the RF.

I was under the car this weekend and saw where my H-brace is contacting the a-frame bushings. You know, the ones that an ALK replaces. How can I get this H-brace away from the bushings? I suspect I am getting some occasional nasty NVH from this contact.

CB

Edit: I finally got my lame butt to take some pics of this situation:

I recently removed my subframe completely for some weight savings and for ease of use under the car. I no longer have this noise. Hmmmm. I also have the complete GTSpec subframe replacement set from Chris @ CVR. I can't wait and will see if any other noises come up.

CB

·
Registered
479 Posts
I was test fitting my NRG H-brace the other day and noticed the same thing. I really had to force it in to fit it between those bushings. If this is a problem I'd like to know about it now so I can grind down some of the metal on the H-brace before installing it. Subscribing to see how this goes.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That sounds strange. Is this the h-brace thats identical to the gt-spec brace? I have the gt-spec version and have never heard any sounds from it, even after highsiding my car on an enbankment and teetering on the brace. Are you sure the bolts are all torqued correctly. It seems like something might be loose.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have the GT-Spec brace and I get noise as well. Everything is tight...not sure what the deal is. I am running a big front sway and the ALK kit...just as long as nothing falls off, I'll be happy ;)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Guess I'm going to just install mine and hope it's a quiet one. I've got to replace my stock endlinks first as I think they're clunking a bit and I want to eliminate that sound before potentially introducing another one.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
are u guys using washers to space the brace from the subframe? i assume that all of u that are experiencing these problems have an ALK?? if so, the first thing u'll notice is that along with the ALK, u have large, thick spacers...the same thickness (in washers) is needed when you install the brace...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Paperchasin said:
are u guys using washers to space the brace from the subframe? i assume that all of u that are experiencing these problems have an ALK?? if so, the first thing u'll notice is that along with the ALK, u have large, thick spacers...the same thickness (in washers) is needed when you install the brace...
I have the whiteline alk/gt spec brace. I installed all the spacers for the subframe but I didn't install any washers for the h-brace and it fit fine. Some people are getting a rattling noise from the front of the car due to sway bar endlinks. I also have hotchkis f/r bars with the hotchkis end links. I had to swap the front endlinks out for the stock ones because they were hitting the bar on bumps and around certain turns.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I was talking about (sorry I haven't gotten pics yet) was the brace is right up against the large bushing that is replaced by the an ALK. I do not have an ALK. When you hit a pavement seam or bump just right, it induces a nasty RACK! (sharp smacking sound). Sounds like something got broke.

CB

·
Registered
335 Posts
fastcb said:
What I was talking about (sorry I haven't gotten pics yet) was the brace is right up against the large bushing that is replaced by the an ALK. I do not have an ALK. When you hit a pavement seam or bump just right, it induces a nasty RACK! (sharp smacking sound). Sounds like something got broke.

CB
I understand the clearance your talking about. How can you be sure its from this mount point? Once its bolted down tight it shouldnt move. I'm just trying to suggest that the noise may be coming from a different place. It's very difficult to find the culprit of a front end noise from the drivers seat.
You should torque the bolt down while the car is sitting on level ground with the suspension fully compressed. I think its somewhere aroun 180 ftlbs. If you replaced or removed the sway bar endlinks also you should retorque them with the car on the ground. The endlinks can make a sound simmilar to what you're describing. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I installed everything correctly and re-torqued all of the bolts. I am running stock front end links.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you talking about spacing the H-brace downward, out of the way of the ALK or spacing it out front on the front 2 mount points?

When I took my subframe off, I had to use a buttload of washers for spacers where the subframe used to be.

CB

·
Registered
479 Posts
fastcb said:
When I took my subframe off, I had to use a buttload of washers for spacers where the subframe used to be.
I found a couple of heavy duty 1/2" drive sockets that were the same width as the subframe to use as spacers. Although when I tried to take off the bolts in the pic (with my jack handle as a cheater bar) I broke my 1/2-3/8 socket adapter. I really need to get some air tools.

Thanks for reporting that the noise is gone with the subframe removed. Mine is currently off too, and I think I'll just leave it that way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts