IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Re: Nox's 09 OBP STI - moar JDM goodness!

For those who haven't seen it yet, I finally finished the steering rack comparison vid. If you haven't added this to your wish list yet, you should. There's no doubt about it that this is the best mod you can to your GR.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

For those who haven't seen it yet, I finally finished the steering rack comparison vid. If you haven't added this to your wish list yet, you should. There's no doubt about it that this is the best mod you can to your GR.

movie
Now you need a DAMD wheel to top it all off....1000x better than the stock wheel...plus some more leg room for us tall people.:tup:

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)

While waiting for my gauges and cluster to come in, I've been looking at my choice of wheels and tires for next year. I've been trying to narrow it down to one for a few months now. I've always wanted blue colored wheels on this car since the beginning, but the fact they were colored brought up the price range quite a bit for simple aesthetics. I'm not one to shy away from paying extra for aesthetics as I always believe a car should represent the owner in and out, but I've got a plan! I originally wanted the Volk ZE40s in gunmetal blue when they came out, instead I've decided to sacrifice a few pounds of rotational mass in favor of speeding up the project by making room available in the budget for something else. Instead, I'll get a standard color for now, and I'll get them powder coated blue in the future once they start showing signs of wear.

Tire choice may change, but for now I've finally decided on:
  • Work Emotion 11R 18x9.5 +38 matte black w/ blue valve stems, blue decals and black center cap (21.5lbs/wheel)
  • Pirelli P Zero 265/35R18 97Y XL

·
Registered
806 Posts

That will look hawt!

Just make sure the fitment will be fine since you're lowered!! You'll need some decent camber and some rolling at the back, if not a light pull :)

:banana:

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)

Winter mode fully activated!

• Raised ride height. My fender to center cap distance is now 13.25" which is a 1" drop from stock. Silicone coated all threads on my coils. I'll keep coating them every time I wash the car to avoid rust and seizing.
  • Roof rack kit installed. I sprayed in some 3M Paint Defender film underneath the feet of the roof rack. It's doing the job, but I'll be switching to vinyl next year. Overspray was a pita to clean.
  • Nokians back on the BBS. I also got an alignment done to return the specs back to factory for the winter. Can't have camber wear on my Nokians!
  • Installed my fog light vinyls to protect them for the winter. They may stay on even in the summer as I actually like the tint, it removes the shinny bling aspect without reducing light output.
  • Sway bars are now set for oversteer friendly play, 22 front and 23 rear. I think I truly prefer this setup now that I have coilovers. This setup finally allowed me to use the full dampening ajustability of my coils. I can now ride at soft without having a bouncy ride while still having minimal roll. I found that my new best setup is full soft in the front and 5 clicks from full soft in the rear. Unbelievably comfy now!!
  • Backup camera now installed. Surprisingly easy to do. My knuckles may argue with that. The interior trim removal was the hardest part of the entire install. Super sharp quality, no stuttering!
Fog light tint difference. If you look closely, you can see how the passenger side is a little darker, less shinny.

Backup camera how-to coming soon! Can you tell I like blue? lol

·
Registered
806 Posts
Re: Nox's 09 OBP STI - Winter mode! Backup camera!

Isn't the camera in a harsh spot? Like it will get dirty REAL fast during winter season?

Clean installation brah! I wish I was so good at installing that kind of stuff!!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #90

Isn't the camera in a harsh spot? Like it will get dirty REAL fast during winter season?

Clean installation brah! I wish I was so good at installing that kind of stuff!!
Since I drive a hatch, yep. The entire back portion of the hatch is always full of snow or dirt. I'll have to keep it clean, but that's pretty easy to do for only 5 months of the year. :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

For some reason I thought you were stage 2... You'll like the stage 1 plus CAI upgrade! Is a DP coming soon?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

For some reason I thought you were stage 2... You'll like the stage 1 plus CAI upgrade! Is a DP coming soon?
I've been trying to stay stock and enjoy the car as is for as long as I could. There's plenty to mod on this car without touching power. Plus, I've always felt it had enough power in stock form if you learn the power bands properly.

As for the downpipe, well possibly! We'll see what Boxing Day deals I can grab. :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

IPlus, I've always felt it had enough power in stock form if you learn the power bands properly.
(should I tell him he's already opened Pandora's box?)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #95

(should I tell him he's already opened Pandora's box?)
I knew full well what I was getting into when I bought the car. You could say I opened Pandora's box when I signed the pink slip. I've just been trying to control it ever since, haha!

·
Registered
108 Posts

Love your journal here. Wish I had the time and bankroll to do a lot of this, but oh well.

I have a question about your JDM arm rest extension piece. Is it the one I've seen online here and there that is adjustable up and down, or is it just fixed? And where is a good place online to look for one? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

Love your journal here. Wish I had the time and bankroll to do a lot of this, but oh well.

I have a question about your JDM arm rest extension piece. Is it the one I've seen online here and there that is adjustable up and down, or is it just fixed? And where is a good place online to look for one? Thanks.

Thanks for the compliments! Projects like these are not everyone, but you can get around that by shopping the sales. I don't buy anything unless it's on sale or I absolutely need to buy it part of the maintenance cycle. I simply save up money for the rest of the year and spend it wisely when I get that little extra rebate.

The JDM arm rest extension is just another compartment that installs betwen your existing arm rest cover and existing compartment. If you look at my pics, it's basically only a height extension. Once installed, you have the stock cover to lift up which uncovers the extension compartment and then lift up the extension to uncover the stock compartment. It's really nice!! For anything JDM I have installed, I've only ever gotten it from Yanev @ SMY Performance.

·
Registered
860 Posts

Hey Chris, where'd you pick up the Osram CBI Bulbs from? Are they the D2S or the D3S? Got a link by any chance? :)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
81 - 100 of 367 Posts